“Woke up at 2 AM Room was still at 79 degrees”
Review of Plaza Hotel

Plaza Hotel
Ranked #89 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Took a trip to Florida a couple of weeks ago and used Park & Fly with this hotel. Had used before with no problems, but this time arrived at 10 PM at night to check in and room must have been 85 plus degrees. Turned air on and 3 out of 4 of us were up at 2 AM sweating and miserable. Air conditioner was trying to work, but they should have checked this out on the rooms on the "hot" sid of the hotel. Manager later said "sorry" - that's it. Will probably use another in the future. Also, note that if you are leaving on a early flight there is no fruit, juice, or even cold cereal for you in the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Not recommended to anyone who expects a clean room and reasonable staffs.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We chose this hotel because of the package deal and it was well worth it! We parked from Saturday to Saturday at just $5.00/day, which was extremely reasonable compared to parking at the airport. It was more convienent with the hotel shuttle picking us up at the airport and delivering us to our room within 5-10 mins, rather than lugging our family and baggage through the parking garage, loading it up and heading to the hotel on our own. We knew our room had an air conditioning problem within the hour and we were quickly moved to another room after calling the front desk. It was an inconvience, but they handled it promptly. Our new room was definitely not that, it was outdated and the beds were not pillowtop and comfy like our first room. The staff was helpful with any questions we had and were happy to store a refridgerated item for us since the room did not have a mini fridge. The computers were a frustration as it took 45 mins to print boarding passes! The computers in the hallway were not set up for printing and the main computer was malfunctioning. The free breakfast was very basic and items to order available, but the cook shutdown 10 mins before end of breakfast time because his, "wife would be pulling up and doesn't like to wait". It's super close to the airport and was fine for our quick stay and longterm parking.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

6/7/12
Arrived late in need of a place to rest after 12 hours of driving. The room was supposed to be non-smoking.... Not. Entered room to find the carpet with large stains at the doorway. Refrigerator cabinet was present but the refrigerator was AWOL. Ice machine on my floor did not work, had to go to fourth floor for ice. Let's say I didn't want to get in the tub with my new flip-flops they were new and the tub was not. Entrance doors to the hotel were dirty and in need of cleaning and paint. This place is old and needs lots of TLC. The linens were clean and the bed was comfortable. We will not stay at this Clarion again.

• Stayed: June 2012
QualitySuites629, General Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

I am sorry to hear you stay was so horrible at the Clarion, but we are the Quality Suites. We only have 2 floors in our hotel, I think maybe you left the review on the wrong hotel. Can you please have it removed at you convience. Thank you, and next time you are in Kansas City, you can stay with us. :)

Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stayed here for a sports tournament that took place in downtown KC. It is obvious that this hotel was once a very nice hotel. It appears as though it went through some years of poor management because there are areas of the hotel that are in desperate need of attention. Here are a couple of important things to keep in mind when staying here:
*The hotel is clean and safe.
*There are several different types of rooms - 1 type has a mini fridge and microwave and the others have a flat screen tv. It didn't appear that you could have both.
*The bed are Sleep Number beds but they are not in use any longer. The remotes have been tucked inside the mattress and the unit has been unplugged. There were several complaints from our group that the beds were very uneven. My side of the bed was fine, but my husband's was not.
*Some rooms have balconies that overlook the courtyard or outside perimeter of the hotel.
*The pool area was nice and clean.
*The hotel has a small bar and a restaurant. We did not eat there so I cannot comment on the food.
*There is a free breakfast that offers basic continental items and it isn't anything to rave about, but it worked for our group.
*There is plenty of parking and it's free.
*There is a coin-op washer and dryer and they are in proper working order.

A couple of negatives - the hotel ran out of keys on our first night, so every family in our group got 1 key. This was not a real big deal, but it was annoying. There were only 2 ice machines, so it was inconvenient to find one. The showers are very hard, and my daughter complained about it hurting her skin. There was a really nasty area in the ceiling at the end of our floor; I mention this because the ceilings are very low and it was the first thing I saw when I came up the elevator. The management should address this because it doesn't leave a good impression.

I don't have a reason to NOT stay here in the future. It's a good place to sleep and it's clean. I would probably pick a different place to stay in future trips only because this place didn't WOW me on any level and there are other hotels to try out in this same price point that may be better.

2  Thank Mrs.WilsonSt.Louis
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I absolutely love this property and hate to see it falling into such disrepair. When reserving a room it states "equipped with refrigerator and microwave". They do not have enough for each room. The security locks on the back doors do not work nor do the closers. If you get a room by one of the back doors going to the parking lot, REQUEST TO BE MOVED. You will hear and feel the door slamming all night. They also do not have enough staff to empty the trash or clean the pool area. The trash by the back doors was overflowing and very smelly, empty Bud Light can and boxes litter the pool area. My son actually said, "maybe if they fix the locks on the back doors people won't come in and party in the pool area". Another item, there is no working ice maker on the first floor. I know companies are trying to do more with less, however in this case they are doing very little with less. This is a great hotel that needs some TLC and an owner who will properly staff it.

Room Tip: Any room above the first floor.
1  Thank 4KSUCATS
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed 1 night at this property with my 2 children...what a nightmare! I'd booked and payed for the room online, and the desk clerk couldn't figure out how to get the room charged to the company. We waited over an hour at the front desk before she would ever give us our room key, even though I had the confirmation email showing I'd already paid for the room. (All the while, other patrons were bringing dirty towels/washcloths to the front desk--red flag!--and she was also trying to figure out which rooms had been cleaned or not!!) It was past 9pm before we got to our room, which was supposed to be nonsmoking. When I saw it was smoking, I tried to call the front desk, but the phone just rang and rang. We walked back downstairs to inform them of the mistake, but she bluntly informed me smoking was all they had left. To top it off, besides reeking of stale smoke, the room was FILTHY. There were short black hairs on the towels and in the tub, the sheets and pillowcases were stained, the bedding consisted of 1 fitted sheet, 1 flat sheet, and 1 thin, scratchy quilt. NONE of the ice machines worked, and there were very few working tv channels. All the other hotels in the area were booked, so I was forced to stay in the nastiness with my 13- and 10-yr. old. (They asked if we could just sleep in our car!) I am NOT a picky person, and can deal with old decor, but this was disgusting. Please take a mom's advice and STAY AWAY!!!!!!!

1  Thank Missy L