“Average at best. Not worth the price.”
Review of Smokin' Guns BBQ

Smokin' Guns BBQ
Ranked #100 of 1,438 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was up in NKC on business and decided to try out this restaurant. From the look of the ribbons on the wall and tv exposure, I was expecting a lot more. The brisket was highly recommended by the server. Unfortunately, it was shaved paper thin and cold. Portions are small for the price and the the onion rings were frozen. Not worth a second visit.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Pretty good BBQ. Not the best in the city, but good for lunch. It can get busy, so get there early if you want to eat in.

Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Youre not comming here for anything but good BBQ their is no ambiance or warm feeling you get while partaking, but the food is excellent, I ordered the burnt ends, pork-n-beans, and coleslaw. All of it was top notch. The beans have chunks of meat and the slaw was vinegar based..
They do get busy at lunch so of you sit at a table for a larger group, they will ask you to move to a table smaller to allow for a larger group to be seated of and when they come in.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

As an old saying goes, "different strokes for different folks" . . there are hundreds of varying opinions and BBQ preferences related to types of sauces and methods of properly cooking your BBQ'd meats. Needless to say subjective and difficult to review and compare, but this BBQ is as good as you will find in Kansas City....and I grew up here and have eaten them all for 50+ years!

As other reviewers have correctly mentioned, Smokin Guns has won numerous BBQ cook-off competitions, including Best of the Best and numerous WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. Their brisket, ribs, pulled pork, beans, slaw, waffle fries, are all excellent, fresh and highly recommended.

Their portions are good size for the price you pay and I leave feeling like I got my money's worth every visit. Can't ask for too much more than that in my book.

1  Thank Mike L
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I grew up in Kansas City, eating BBQ at the original Smokestack on old 71 Highway in South KC since the 50's. I still remember the 1849'er sandwich: your choice of beef, pork, or ham on a long bun for 49 cents. My, how times have changed!! I just returned from a week's vacation in KC and got some takeout from Smokin' Guns BBQ to bring home to Phoenix with me. I'd seen them compete on BBQ competition shows on TV and thought I'd give them a try. Excellent choice!!! I ordered sliced brisket, pulled pork, and baked beans. I phoned in my carryout order and told them I was taking it on a plane, and it was ready and waiting when I arived. They packaged everything in zip-lock bags for the flight. Not so important with the meat, but pretty important with the beans in my carry-on!!!!! Everything arrived home in great condition, and all three items tasted great! Excellent smoky flavor on the meats, and the beans had chunks of bacon or pork and were delicious. The only disappointment was that they didn't include any bbq sauce. I don't know if that was an oversight or if I needed to order some at additional cost, so be sure to ask if you order take-out. The menu says "Meat Only" so I guess they mean it!!! I ordered 1.5 lb of each meat and a quart of beans and it came to about $49. Four adults ate it and we had about half the meat left. The present location is in a small-industry area and has occupancy limited to 49 people. The decor is definitely old-school BBQ joint--paneled walls, formica tables, etc. They are moving to a larger location just two doors down that owner Linda said would be about 4 times the size of the current one. If you're in the North Kansas City area--or even if that's a bit of a drive for you!!!!--be sure to give Smokin' Guns a try--you will NOT regret it! I just wish I could have tasted their sauce.

3  Thank GrandviewClassOf65