“Not worth the money; seems to have gone downhill”
Review of Hereford House

Hereford House
Ranked #74 of 1,429 Restaurants in Kansas City
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: I-29 & Barry Road
Description: Hereford House is one of the finest steak houses in the United States. The Hereford House provides incredible food at reasonable prices in a casual atmosphere.
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Went for a nice steak dinner on a Sunday evening. Only a few tables occupied on the dining room side. Server did a good job, however, the kitchen failed to deliver in all ways...salad had some less than fresh (wet wilted) lettuce in it, that I had to pick out. Ranch dressing seemed to have been watered down, very flavorless. Ordered KC strip medium well and husband had the Medallions medium. Both arrived and nearly completely raw and both were very bloody. We reluctantly had to send back both meals to the kitchen. At least the server apologized. Our booth was in a position such that we could see straight into the kitchen (the server side). I saw our server telling a chef/or expeditor about the problem, and he took his bare hand and touched the center of my steak where I had just cut it in half, then handed it over the counter to a chef on the kitchen side. So we waited, for our steaks to be cooked, again. When the server brought both meals back, both meats had been cooked more, but still not as requested, and the sides were cold, as one would expect. After waiting and just wanting to eat already, we just gave up and ate what we could. The ranch potatoes that came with mine were just like the dehydrated kind you get in a box, except they had a thick layer of melted cheese on top, such that I lifted the whole thing off in one plasticy piece. The booth we sat in was against the windows, where there were very dusty blinds.The women's bathroom was not clean either. The whole place seems to have gone downhill in all aspects of food, service, dining room appearance, etc. since we had been here last about a year ago. We don't mind paying for quality when it comes to food/dinner, but for the price tag of nearly $90, we could have had a much better steak dinner at Outback, but for half the price tag. Very unimpressed and very disappointing.

1  Thank shwrldtraveler
There are newer reviews for Hereford House

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was very disappointed with this place. I had heard some good things from my wife who used to live in KC. We went to the place and even she was disappointed. The food was very average or below. The service was great, but couldn't make up for the food. I wouldn't go back

Reviewed September 26, 2013

After a long day of traveling this was the perfect place to recharge with a great meal. The service was outstanding the wait staff very attentive and helpful regarding menu choices. We ordered calamari appetizer but next time we'll try the sea hogs. I tried tried the Griller Pork Chop with mashed sweet potatoes and spinach salad which was excellent. The pork chop had a distinctive charcoal grill flavor plus juicy for a think cut. The Pork Osso Bucco was a friend's choice, equally superb.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have been to the Hereford house on the past and as always, WOW!! We opted for the Two For $65.00 option and believe me, you will not be disappointed or hungry after this choice. I had the full rack of ribs (couldn't eat it all) and my wife the salmon. The salmon was unbelievable and the ribs, hands down amazing. Our server was very attentive and "on the ball" for a busy Saturday night.
Make reservations if you can, we made them online and it was well worth it. Got right in and were seated on time. Atmosphere was great, food was awesome and this place has never let us down.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Do not order a steak. It is over priced and does not have any better flavor than at a cheaper steak house. Order chicken.

1  Thank Casey P