“Great Location, only a Few Minor Issues” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Crown Center

The Westin Crown Center
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Dallas, Texas
“Great Location, only a Few Minor Issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

The Westin is conveniently located across from Union Station. It is a nice site to see out of your hotel room. The rate on the room was $89 a night which was a steal. We stayed in room 1548 which was high enough to have a great view of the city. The hotel offers almost everything you would want in a hotel: pool, restaurant, room service, bar, etc. The rooms were spacious and clean. However, the pillows collapse with the weight of a feather. Not much to them. Bring your own pillows or stack 3 of them together. Also, the sheets were very "crunchy" which felt odd as sheets are usually cozy. I assume they used too much starch. The shower has a rain forest shower head which is relaxing.

One bad thing was our neighbors were so noisy. They started at 1am and did not stop until 5am. It sounded like there were 20 people in one room. Thank goodness we were tired from waking up at 5am that day to drive from OKC to Lawrence for the KU game. Otherwise, we would have called the front desk.

Lastly, we received no Starwood points for our stay. The front desk lady asked if we had a Starwood card to which I said yes. Then, she asked what city I am from. I told her and that was it. I thought she could look me up by my name. No clue why the question was asked if she was going to do nothing about it.

These were all minor complaints and do not effect the actual hotel. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others. There is a skywalk over to Union Station which is quite safe but closes at midnight.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Gordi00728- Thank you for taking your time to share your comments on your stay with us at The Westin Crown Center. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to indulge in all the wonderful amenities provided to you as our guest to create a relaxing, uplifting stay. I apologize for the frustrations you had to experience due to the noise from the guests next to you. We take these matters seriously. Please let our staff know in the future so we can resolve this matter to ensure you get a peaceful nights sleep. We truly value your business and would love to have you back as our guest in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I was certainly impressed by the check-in process and the friendliness of the staff at the Westin. As a conference attendee, it was important that the conference facilities and catered meals be up to par and they certainly were. The "Link" between buildings provides for an easy/quick way to explore what's beyond the hotel and most major attractions in Kansas City are a short drive from the hotel. Additionally, the fitness center staff and facilities are certainly among the best of the places I've stayed.

Room Tip: Request a view of the city!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Kathleen J- Thank you for taking your time to share your refreshing comments on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am delighted to hear what a great experience you had with us and that our staff was friendly and accommodating ensuring you had everything you needed for a relaxing stay. We take great pride in being located in the heart of Crown Center and I am happy you were able to indulge in all the great attractions in the area. We value your business and look forward to having you back as our guest in the future.
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is a wonderful hotel. All of the staff is extremely polite. My room was very clean and spacious. I had a small temperature issue, and called to report to the front desk. A maintenance worker showed up within ten minutes and fixed the issue. I even received a follow up call from the front desk to make sure that maintenance had made it to my room and that my issue had been resolved. The timely response and follow up call were very impressive to me. This hotel is also very close to the power and light district. Just a short (and cheap!) cab ride away. I have stayed at several hotels in the area, but this was my first time at the Westin. This hotel just moved to the top of my list for when I return in March.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Lindsey B- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am delighted to hear what a great stay you had with us and that our staff was friendly and accommodating ensuring you had everything you needed for a relaxing stay. We train our team to provide quick and efficient service and I am truly happy to hear this is the service provided to you due to the maintenance issues you unfortunately had to encounter. We value your business and look forward to having you back as our guest in the future.
Kansas City, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

We checked in to the Westin Crown Center yesterday to enjoy a girls' night out at a concert. The valet and doorman were very friendly, as was the desk attendant who helped us check in. We immediately changed clothes to head out for dinner prior to the show. Upon return to our room later that evening (around midnight), the first time we had been in the room for more than 30 minutes, we noticed that everything in the room had a fine layer of dust on it. Tables, counters, even the shower/tub had a film of dust, so much so that after showering there were clumps of wet dust on the sides of the tub! The carpet also appeared to have not been vacuumed very well, as there was dust build up at the threshold between the bathroom tile and carpet. There was a long black hair in the sink - we are blondes!

We turned down our beds and noted a stained pillow case and stains on the bed skirt and duvet. At one am, we were ready for sleep so decided not to housekeeping and would just tell the desk staff on our way out.

This morning, we check out and I told the desk attendant about the issues with the room. Her first question: did you call housekeeping? Well, at one am I wasn't particularly in the mood to be displaced from a room I spent good money on so you could do a job that should have been done before we even arrived!! She apologized but appeared largely unconcerned about these complaints.

I've never stayed in a Westin before, however, if this is what I should expect from their brand, I would call our experience fair at best, thus the rating.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Mragland2- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I sincerely apologize if your stay was less than perfect due to the frustrations you experienced with the servicing of your guest room as well as if our staff did not make you feel welcome. We train our team to go above and beyond to ensure our guests experience is as relaxing and refreshing as possible. I have shared your comments with the appropriate teams to further investigate where out team fell short, ensuring this does not occur in the future. We truly value your business and would love the opportunity to have you as our guest in the future to create a top notch stay.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for three nights during a recent business trip. The location was perfect for me since my meetings were held at Union Station and Crown Center Square. With the "Link" walkway, I didn't have to go outside in the snow during their recent winter polar vortex. My room was very spacious and the bed was quite comfortable...numerous pillows abound. The bathroom was very well stocked with all the toiletries you need and I love the rainfall shower. The large thick towels and included bathrobe felt very luxurious. You get complimentary bottled water and the in-room Starbucks coffee was a nice touch. I knew my stay was going to be great when I was welcomed by very friendly staff. My only negative experience was intermittent problems and slow response with their cable TV system. Overall a great experience and I will be going back in the near future.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Larry U- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us and were able to indulge in all the amenities provided to you in the Crown Center area. We are truly fortunate to be located in such a prime location in Kansas City. It is our goal as a Westin to create as relaxing and refreshing a stay as possible and I am happy you were able to indulge in your heavenly bed and waterfall shower after a long day. We truly value your business and look forward to creating many more signature experiences for you in the future.
Americus, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

If you want to be connected to downtown Kansas City, make sure to stay at the Westin Crown Center.

The hotel has undergone a significant remodeling that looks and feels fantastic. My rooms (was in the Garden Suite) were clean and quiet on the 11th floor.

The hotel is connected to Crown Center shops and Union Station (by a covered and heated skywalk). Great views of downtown Kansas City and walking distance or inexpensive cab ride (about $5) to the Power & Light District.

Staff was very accomodating. I love a cold room at night, but my room wasn't cooling well enough (even in January). Solved it the first night by opening the balcony door and letting in the outside air before bed. Second night I called the desk. A repairman came immediately and looked at the HVAC, determining a heater damper was sticking open. Fixed it.

Will definitely return when in downtown KC.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Gwen L- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was friendly and accommodating, ensuring you had everything you needed for a top notch stay. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center, surrounding many of Kansas City's favored sites and shops and I am happy you were able to take advantage of all the area has to offer. We value your business and look forward to welcoming you back with us in the future. Thank you again for your comments.
Lincoln, ne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I gave this hotel 5* across the board. The staff were very helpful and accommodating, the valets were prompt and professional our room was very clean and quite comfortable. The atmosphere was delightful. Kudos.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Harleyluv- Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am thrilled to hear what an exceptional stay you had with us and that our staff went above and beyond to ensure you had as relaxing and refreshing an experience as possible. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center with so many great shops and sites in the area and I am happy you found the atmosphere delightful. We truly value your business and look forward to creating many more signature stays for you in the future.