“Great destination for business and conferences”

The Westin Crown Center
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great destination for business and conferences”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The guest rooms are first rate, conference facilities excellent, and location is convenient to taking advantage of the restaurants, shopping, and attractions of Crown Center. But what particularly impressed during my last stay was the staff's great service. The staff was extremely helpful in responding to a couple of special requests I had, even though the hotel was very full and busy from the conference I was attending. I am a frequent business traveler and I would rank this visit to the Westin as one of the best business travel experiences I have had.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the Crown Center fountain plaza. The fountain has a great light show...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Stayed here 8/8/11 - 8/12/11. My husband was here for business so I came along for pleasure. His work was paying for hotel, so price wasn't a factor. Check in was very quick. Stayed in room 1612, on a starwood prefered floor for memebers of starwood rewards. As a benefit for members we had free internet access, and 2 free bottles of water daily. Also free USA Today, but I think everyone gets that. Rooom was very large, had desk, as well as 2 comfy chairs, and fridge. Bathrobe in bathroom, and plenty of nice smelling toiletries. Had a view of crown center fountains. Not much water pressure from sink, but better in shower. Towels were well used, and hard and scracthy. Pool area was nice, had a bar area that was not open during our stay, maybe open weekends only? Plenty of loungers around pool, as well as tables and chairs. Loungers have a cushion on them, but be careful as on a couple of ocassions lounge cushions were soaking wet in the am. There is a computer and printer you can use for free to check in online and print boarding pass. Exericse room looked really nice, but did not use. Hotel lobby has plenty of seating, but many of the cusions are showing wear, and look dirty. Ate at casual restuarant a couple of times and food was good, and reasonably priced. Hotel is connected to Crown Center shopping mall that has plenty of shops, as well as restaurants. Overall have stayed in better Westins, but would stay there again if price was right, probably wouldn't want to pay more than $100 per night. Hallmark visitors center is connected to shopping mall, and is worth a visit. Also Jack Stack BBQ restaurant is withing walking disctance, and really good.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank nursecommander
Virginia
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This was my fifth stay at this Westin for business. I really like this hotel. The staff has always been friendly and accommodating. The rooms are large enough, clean, with everything a business traveler needs. Have always been satisfied with food and drink both in the rooms and in the bar and restaurant downstairs. Have not tried the upstairs (posher) service. It very conveniently connects to a mall where you can get almost anything you might need while on travel (and some eateries). You can walk to a few restaurants. Parking under the hotel is easy, as is paying the daily rate and coming and going. My one wish would be for free internet--that is my only one gripe. It is free down in the lobby and you can see plenty of people with their laptops downstairs.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Coriano, Italy
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for business and work together. The hotel exterior is not very appealing, but consistent with the rest of the buildings of the Crowne Center built by "Mr. Hallmark," but inside is finished. The staff is very friendly and always available, upon arrival we were given a larger room than booked for more space for 4 people without increasing the price. The rooms are very clean and well-organized. For the children was very good, because it is within the structure of the Crown Center shops - especially toys - and other entertainment accessible without going outside, what to avoid in the torrid summers - there were 105 Fahrenheit - and in cold winters. Known only improved is the pool, which is just outside, it would also indoors.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
jamielynnj21
Reviewed August 12, 2011

A friend and I recently stayed for an expected plush stay after the Kenny Chesney concert at Arrowhead stadium. We were unfortunately disappointed, though in the long run they made it right-so Kudos to the customer service department.

Positive things first: the staff inside the building were always friendly and accommodating. The lobby is beautiful. The beds are incredibly comfortable. The pool looked very nice from our window, and the view of downtown Kansas City was great.

The stay began surprisingly poorly with the valet service. I frequently stay at the downtown Denver Westin where the valets are incredibly prompt and friendly. So I expected similarly here. They did seem busy, but it was still disappointing. We removed our own luggage and were not approached by a valet until we called out for one. We were curtly welcomed and given our valet ticket. This would normally not effect my stay, but when combined with the rest it had a cumulatively negative effect.

The check-in was very pleasant and expedient. We got a higher floor as we requested, but I unfortunately forgot to ask for a room away from the elevators and ice machine, so we were serenaded throughout the night by elevator dings and a very loud ice machine that shared a wall with our room. Again, this was my mistake for not requesting a room away from these things.

Room cleanliness and condition has never been an issue for me at other Westins so I was surprised at the status of this room (see photos). There was a brown splatter on one wall that looked like maybe soda, a red stain on the carpet and the sheer curtains were torn. My friend and I were running late and were determined to have a good time, so we agreed to mention it to the staff on our way to the concert.

The front desk staff was apologetic and friendly and I'm sure if we had the time or were staying an additional night they would have moved us to a different room, but since this was not an option for us, he said he would be crediting my account. I mistakenly assumed this meant a portion of our stay. In the morning I came down to find out how we were going to be compensated and were told they were giving me rewards points equating to about 1/4 of a stay. When I described the condition of the room in more detail the manager additionally removed the movie charge we incurred that night. I am not familiar with informing such places of short-comings, so I accepted the compensation and left.

In the morning, we experienced another unpleasant surprise, as the bathtub must have been somewhat clogged, and during our showers the water drained so slowly that by the end there was a couple of inches of dirty water standing in the tub.

The valet staff was just as disappointing upon our departure as it was upon arrival. We had called to have the car brought around prior to leaving our room, so it was parked outside when I walked out. I waited on the sidewalk for a little while until I realized I was not going to be attended to and went out the the car. It was locked, so I again had to call out for a valet to provide my keys, of which they were just handed over with no offer to help with luggage. Additionally although I was grateful to get access to my car, my friend was getting coffee inside and had the valet ticket, and I was allowed access to my car without a ticket.

My friend later informed me that her experience getting coffee in the hotel restaurant was unpleasant as well, as the bartender making coffee repeatedly served other guests, ignoring her, despite her arrival much earlier than other guests. It finally took another guest pointing out his lack of attention to her before he served her. The coffee cup he handed her was coated in a sticky caramel or sugar. She asked if she could get a new cup or something, and he handed her a new paper sleeve. She requested a straw, and was overlooked for other guests again, so she had to reach behind the bar herself to get a straw.

Overall: just very disappointing for what I've come to expect from Westin Hotels. After speaking with the corporate rewards office later that dat they decided to additionally reimburse me my valet charge. This helped my overall impression of the experience more. About a week after my stay, after filling out a survey evaluating my stay, I did get an email apologizing for the poor stay and offering a free stay. This greatly improves my impression of this establishment. As much as that stay was very disappointing, I am willing to give them another shot with their generous offer. This is good customer service. It is somewhat a shame that it took so long to get to that point, but I am happy they value their loyal customers that much. Hopefully my next review will be completely different.

Room Tip: request a higher floor to avoid pool and road noise. The ice machines are very loud, request rooms a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Our room here was comfortable enough and had a decent sized bathroom. It was recently updated and clean. There were a lot of screw ups with our reservation and getting internet. We stayed here 4 nights and they checked us out after two nights even though we had confirmed at check-in that we'd be there for four. They were very nice about it but we were on the top floor and had to shlep back down when our room keys no longer worked. Valet was terribly slow on some days. Parking was expensive. The lobby is like something out of the 70's or early 80's. It's dark and needs an upgrade. The attached shopping mall is really tacky and low class.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Stayed here MANY years ago and loved it, but found other places to stay with more reasonable rates. When returning to KC, I checked the rates and found a FANTASTIC deal. The hotel was just as nice as I remember. Everyone was friendly. The room was large, as well as the bathroom. Beds were very comfortable! When I return, I will certainly check Crown Center again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family