“Good accommodations at modest price”

Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza
Ranked #12 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Massachusetts
“Good accommodations at modest price”
Reviewed April 9, 2010

A colleague and I shared a room for 4 nights to attend a conference. While the room was a bit small, it had all of the usual amenities, was clean and well maintained, and reasonably up to date. Most rooms are in a 5-story tower with elevator service. The staff was courteous and helpful. The location is excellent if you are not just passing through - close to the Plaza, Westport, the Nelson art museum, and under 10 minutes by car straight up Main street to the Convention center. The Crossroads and Power and Light districts are about the same distance. The expressways aren't any further, with about a half-hour to the airport at the times we traveled. Parking is in a secure, tightly-spaced underground garage, although the area didn't appear threatening. The breakfast service is very good. The price is very competitive and at the low end of the Choice group's typical costs. I can't think of anything to complain about except a lack of spaciousness in the room - just room for a small mirrored closet, 2 queen beds and a night stand, a TV in a cabinet, a small refrigerator, an easy chair, and a desk and chair - but we really only slept there. The bathroom was small but very clean, had a decent shower, and was reasonably up to date. We heard nothing from adjacent rooms or hallways, or the street. I'd certainly stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Alta, IA
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I really don't get all the negative reviews I've seen on various sites. My brother and I recently visited KC for a few days to do some eating, shopping, visit some of the attractions and go to a show. There is not much more this hotel could have done to make our visit a great one.

I've seen some complain about the location being "out of the way." This place is in a decent part of town, nestled in with the Marriott and other much more pricey hotels, a couple of blocks from Country Club Plaza, and a simple 15-minute walk (which we made both nights with no trepidation) from a pretty hopping bar/restaurant district on Westport. That doesn't mention the fact that the free shuttle will take you anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel (until 11 p.m., hence the walking home from the bars), which includes Union Station and all of ITS dining/shopping/attractions. You just call the shuttle a little in advance and you're good to go. On our three-day visit, the only driving we had to do was the day we went to Independence, Arthur Bryant's and the Harley-Davidson plant. It was simple to get to and from the highway.

We felt completely safe leaving our car in the lot. There were plenty of spaces (I acknowledge that this is a little off-season), the security gate closes behind you and locks down for the night at 11 p.m.

As for the room, most of the "problems" are a matter of personal preference. Some of us like firm mattresses. The bathroom had ample room, and although the shower head was pretty much at eye level for me at 5'9", is it really so onerous to tilt your head down slightly when washing your hair?

The TV was a bit ponderous (you have to wait several seconds between button pushes), the pool IS seasonal and there does not appear to be a hot tub, but if the reason you travel is to spend as much time as possible in your hotel room, take a freakin' cruise. Business travelers might be a little more effected by all this.

The only real negative I have regarding the room is that you really cannot control the room temperature. The controls are pulled out of the unit itself, and the wall thermostat doesn't really seem to do much. This was no problem in March when it was 50 degrees and we could crack the window, but I imagine it could be an issue in August.

By the way, I've read that the breakfast was "pricey" and "horrible." Maybe this is so if you order off the menu, but there IS a continental breakfast that you receive free vouchers for, and I think we're a bit spoiled when we consider any continental breakfast lacking a waffle maker as being "horrible." It was fine and, again, do you really want to eat all your meals at your hotel?

Ultimately, take the negative reviews with a grain of salt. I have the feeling most people who write reviews do so because they have something bad to write, and keep in mind that if you're on vacation you're traveling to see the area - not to stay in a hotel 24/7.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cobbler88
Clinton, MO
Reviewed January 17, 2010

My husband had surgery at a nearby hospital during my stay. I felt safe and secure while coming and going, sometimes at odd hours, from the hotel. The room was very comfortable. the view of the Plaza Christmas lights from my room was fantastic. The food and service was great.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
US
Reviewed December 10, 2009

I am probably one of the more pickier travelers. I check all reviews before staying at a hotel. I stayed here because an potential employer arranged my accommodations.

1. I ordered from room service the first night since I was alone in the city and did not want to venture out in the 2 degree weather. . I ordered a vegetable panini. It was $13.55, pricey. The sandwich with fries arrived to my room. It was amazing. I felt like I had ordered it from a gourmet restaurant.

2. Room and hotel is extremely clean. I had a room that overlooked the downtown Plaza area. It was quiet and nice. The bed was comfortable, and I slept well. Sheets will need to be replaced soon. Not because they were stained. They were extremely clean, but because after so many washings, they loose their softness. Bathroom is small, but who stays in the bathroom the entire stay. The room itself was large. I had a king bed room. Furniture is old, but everything worked properly in the room.

3. Hotel does need updating throughout. It is nice. I like the lobby area with the big screen TV and computer access. Other then updating, it is a pleasant and peaceful hotel.

4. There is a free continental breakfast in the morning. I thought..probably normal cereal, bagels, donuts. But it was a buffet. If I remember correctly: scrambled eggs, sausage (not the frozen grocery store kind), hot and cold pastries, bagels, oatmeal (with various toppings of your choice), fresh fruit bar, fresh squeezed orange juice (drinks were brought to your table by a waiter), cereal, french toast. I know there was probably more, but I was impressed. And it was delicious!

I would stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank nmq
York, PA
Reviewed November 28, 2009

No sleep the first night - radiator in room sounded like an 18-wheeler parked next to our bed. They fixed it on day two, but didn't fix the hot water issue - showers were barely lukewarm until Sunday night - it's like they only have hot water Sun - Thurs.
Only real bonus - decent breakfast.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pellyski
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Stayed for one Sunday night before catching a flight back to ORD. First impressions are it was clean but it need of an overhaul. I had a room on the fifth floor and it was spacious but in agreement with a previous review the bathroom was small. Being Kansas were the showerheads positioned at the height of your average munchkin?
What made up for any shortfall was the willingness of the staff to answer my touristy and road dog tired questions. The shuttle driver took me to Gates BBQ and picked me up after eating. The hotel was quiet however I must add. I think 11 USA todays went out the next day! I had a drink at the bar with the pleasant barkeep while watching the baseball and I and another chap were the token gesture.
I was too tired to have a look at the fitness facilities and the only other annoyance was the noisy AC. Remember the control is on the wall and not on the unit. Bed was comforatable and the romm clean if not a little tired. Had a nice view of the sun setting over KC and the lights from the Plaza going on. The location for the plaza is ideal, just a couple of blocks down the street. Breakfast was complimentary being Plat PC and enough to start the day. Could do with a bit more fruit though. The coffee was good to go.
I wouldn't say there was any major issues but there is better and indeed worse out there I suppose. Total bill $133 including the drinks at bar.
Parking lot a bit dire but was free and remember to have your key card handing to get to the elevator.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Spiderpig41
St. Louis
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Clean room but old. The bathroom is very small and the showerhead is too low. Elevators are small and take a long time to wait.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family