“Good value and clean.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Omaha, Nebraska
“Good value and clean.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

The staff was VERY friendly. The room was a little small but more importantly it was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was very small, the kind where you have to shut the door to get into the shower...and the tub was smaller/older, but again it was clean and comfortable. The bed and bedding was clean and comfortable. The gym was not very good...VERY small and just a few pieces of equipment. The hallways were a little outdated. For a mid priced hotel, it totally met my expectations for a one night stay. It's also within walking distance to the Country Club shopping area but they'll shuttle you if you're not up for a walk. I'd stay there again for a short stay, but probably not for a muliti night stay because I like to work out when I'm on the road and the gym there wouldn't meet my needs. If a hotel gym isn't important to you, then I'd recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear OmahaPro Traveler,

We appreciate you taking time to review our property. Our guestrooms are average size hotel rooms-certainly not the largest nor anywhere near the smallest. Most importantly as you noted they are clean and comfortable.

Our fitness facility also falls in the average size category- it offers 4 cardio machines (all with individual televisions), a multi-station weight machine and dumbbells with a bench for you free weight workout. It is certainly adequate for most people to get in a good workout. It is not a complete gym and I apologize that it did not meet your needs.

Most importantly I appreciate you noting our VERY friendly staff. It is our intention to offer you the best possible service to make your stay with us special so that you will want to stay with us again.

Assistant Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Richardson TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

Stayed here last weekend with a friend who went to KC on business (May 29-June 2, 2014). My husband, son and I had stayed at this hotel last year (July 4th, 2013) when we came to KC on vacation. It seemed like this time, the rooms were more run-down. Maybe they had us on a floor that hadn't been updated yet (?) I don't know, but our room was clean and the beds are OH SO COMFORTABLE! (I have a Tempurpedic mattress, so I know comfortable) The bathtub was slow to drain, but I called the front desk and they sent two guys up within minutes to fix it. (It still drained slow, but not as slow) I wish the room would have had a fridge (our room had one last year), but overall, everything was ok. I will say that the parking garages are a challenge. They are on the small side, but if you can't get in to G2, just go to G1 and park. G1 is reserved for vans and SUVs, but there is more room in this garage. The location is good for walking down to The Plaza.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a "Plaza view" and ask for a fridge.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
RichardsonTxCjb,

Thank you for choosing to come back to our hotel for your visit this year. We know you have many options when you travel so this is very meaningful to us. Our maintenance staff works through the hotel floor by floor to keep our rooms in the best possible condition. It could be that the room you were in is due for their attention. It is good to hear that you really liked our bedding and that our staff responded quickly to your issue. Our complimentary parking garages can offer challenges to some drivers but this is an amenity for which many of our neighboring competitors charge an additional $12-$18 per day. All in all we try to offer the best overall value on the Country Club Plaza.

Thanks again for staying with us again this year; we hope to see you on your next visit to Kansas City!

Oklahoma City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel is perfectly located for a great girls shopping/ sight seeing trip in KC! Located right in the Plaza Shopping Center, fabulous shopping and delicious restaurants are steps away. Around the corner are two delightful museums and the zoo is an 8 minute drive away. The hotel staff are extremely helpful, rooms are clean, pool is perfectly located. And there's a hotel shuttle to take you anywhere you need. If you want a relaxing stay, book here.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Emily,

We are happy that you enjoyed our hotel and all of the great things to see and do around our property. You mentioned many of best features- our staff, the clean hotel, our great pool, shopping, dining, museums and our convenient shuttle. These make our hotel a great spot for any kind of getaway. We hope that you bring the girls back soon!

Asst Director of Sales
Thoona, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

A great motel in a wonderful location. Clean and comfortable rooms, a great breakfast included in our booking and an easy walk to the plaza. Only downside was we stayed over Memorial Day weekend and there was a large group of kids staying there for a sporting event, which made the environment a bit noisy and hectic.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Shannon,

Thanks so much for your review. You had quite the long journey to get here coming all the way from Australia! We are happy that you enjoyed our great location, great food, and clean comfortable room. I am sorry that the environment was not a little more peaceful for your visit- it was a very busy weekend with the tournament and the many holiday weekend guests.
We hope that you will choose us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Asst Director of Sales
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

We came here for an extended weekend to get away. The staff was friendly and check in was a breeze. We snooped around our room and didn't find anything worth complaining about. After the first night I realized their pillows were too fluffy. I thought I might be suffocated in my sleep by the pillow! That's just a personal preference on my part, because my husband loved them. There were a lot of kids running around when we would leave or come back to the hotel. Surprisingly I didn't hear any in my room. I did hear a cell phone ringing and some voices in the room next to us though. They weren't overly loud. We still slept peacefully though the night. The location of the hotel was prime! Restaurants, shops, etc are within walking distance. I'd definitely book a stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Blueyes0316,

Thank you for telling us about your extended weekend at our property. I’m especially happy to hear that after ‘snooping’ around the room you couldn’t find anything worth complaining about. We have a member of our maintenance staff that devotes all of his time to ‘snooping’ around every room searching for things to fix before a guest can find anything wrong!

All of our guestrooms offer both firm and soft pillows, so next time maybe you and your husband need to try swapping pillows! We hope to see you here again on your next visit to KC!

Asst. Director of Sales
Blackwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

The experience was not what I really had thought it would be. We blocked rooms for my sons college graduation at this property and about a month out I called to see how things were going and they had many folks booked into MY space. Which we did get for a pretty good rate, still over $100.00 per night but honestly NOT at all worth what they charge normally. Seriously you are paying for the location of this hotel.
It was brought to the attention of management and quickly corrected. This was the first thing.
Overall this hotel is in a fantastic location to Country Club Plaza-KC prime shopping area. It is a great location for both colleges KCAI and UMKC.. The staff was friendly enough but there was just something off. Perhaps it was because they were overly busy this particular weekend with both college graduations happening on the same day. If you know the area these two schools are within blocks from this hotel.

When we arrived we were able to ck in a bit early (loved that) I ask for a fridge for both rooms we did get one in each room ASAP (loved that). My parents as part of my blocked space booked a full roll in handicap room and they did not give this to my parents. So my parents had to be moved to a different room. This was handled with swiftness this I must say. The amenities in room really do lack. A double room only had the amenities enough for one person, not two and they are very very small. Two beds, two people and the amenities should be for as many. They also have a coffee (CUP) maker in the room I mean really what happen to a coffee pot!! You know more then one cup per person? This would be a welcomed change.

I think the rooms left a lot to be desired. The furniture in our two rooms was very old and beat up. The beds were not very comfy at all. In fact the bed my elderly parents slept on was really bad, we sat on the edge of the bed and it smashed down so bad I nearly fell/slid right off onto the floor. The paint color was awful, just an awful color and made the rooms look darker then they needed to be.

The pool was not open as of yet but it is really big and has a great big pool deck with tables and lots of seating. Too bad I was not able to enjoy this.

The hotel does have an onsite restaurant and all we used it for was late evening Ice Cream & 1 small apple tart for 5 at the cost of nearly $25.00 bucks. I think a bit over priced for Ice Cream and small tart. But it is the hotel restaurant.

The parking is free and is covered under the hotel. Although it really is not very secure I mean anyone could pull right up to the little gate and it will open. Again the good thing here is that it is FREE.
Anyway overall I know if I had paid full price for these two rooms I would have been very upset because no matter where it sits it is so not worth the normal nightly rate.

I do not think I will stay here again if and when I visit the KC area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Michele H
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Michele,

Thank you taking the time to write this detailed review. Your review covers a lot so I am only going to address what seem to be the major points. We set our rates to consistently be the best overall value on the Country Club Plaza which is a very popular location in Kansas City.
I do apologize that our staff, while friendly, were not everything that you expected. Our goal is to make a connection with each guest and it seems that we failed in your case. It would be great if you could provide more information to me about why you felt “something was just off”- it might help me to address any specific issues.

As to your parents handicap accessible room, it appears that the guests staying in that room the previous night extended their stay and this made the room unavailable. Our state lodging laws do not allow us to force someone out of a room as long as they pay the rate of the room. Since we have a limited number of rooms with roll-in showers, that prevented us from providing your parents desired room type. Again, I do apologize for this but because of state regulations were could not make the room available.

It is standard hotel practice to supply standard room amenities such as shampoo, conditioner, lotion, facial soap, body soap with a single container per room regardless of the number of guests occupying the room. We do offer additional wash cloths and towels in rooms with two queen beds. We are happy to provide additional containers of any or all of these upon request. We also have available, upon request, standard amenities that are often forgotten at home such as shavers, shaving cream, combs, toothbrush and toothpaste. These are not in the rooms but available by request. This is posted in our guest service directory in each guestroom. I will look into ways we might make this information more easily available.

All of our bedding was replaced just two years ago and is in very good condition. Mattresses are not generally constructed to have multiple people sitting on the edge. That type of load on the edge will cause most mattresses to collapse as you noted.

Once again I appreciate your input and will use it to improve our property for our future guests.

Mason City, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

The hotel was clean, the staff very friendly and helpful. We made reservations here because of the pool and 85 deg. weather, but they told us the pool does not open until Memorial Day. That should be stated in the online description! Other guests also complained about the beautiful, large pool that was closed. Michelle, the bartender was awesome - so friendly and got customers talking and having a good time together, a regular "Cheers". The front desk got us a refrigerator right away. The shuttle driver (I think her name was Joyce?) was an absolute sweetheart. She knows all the little details of the area and guests can go to Westport, the Crown Plaza, Power & Light District and everywhere in between. the HR person for this hotel really does a good job hiring the right people for the position...except maybe the marketing person for the web...

1 Thank Paula L
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Paula,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience at our property. Our website says that our pool is open seasonally. We do not preset an open or close date. Generally our goal is that the pool will open no later than Memorial Day and no sooner than Labor Day. We have had a few days in the 80’s but then temperatures have dropped as low as the mid-30’s. Our pool has now opened for the season and we apologize that temperatures just did not allow it to be open during your visit.

We are most appreciative of your comments about our staff. You are very insightful that the staff we have are very meticulously selected to provide the best possible service. This is a theme that you can see in review after review. We always share your comments with our staff- it is the reward they seek for their hard work!