“Nice place to stay”

Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Typically don't expect much from a Holiday Inn! But this was very nice. Room was spacious and clean. Bed was comfy as were pillows. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Parking is free as was the wifi. Location is very close to the Plaza, and we found the drive to Kauffman/Royals Stadium to be easy - avoided all the traffic on I70 and/or 435. Only negative was no breakfast provided.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Tim S,
Thank you taking time to tell us about your experience. I think you will find that the Holiday Inn brand is making huge strides in the quality of hotels and service. We do not have a complimentary breakfast because we have a full-service restaurant on property that offers a great full buffet as well as a delightful cook to order menu.

I’m happy that you enjoyed all of our great amenities and the convenience of our location. We strive to exceed our guest’s expectations and it appears that we did with the exception of a free breakfast. I can tell you that we offer discounted packages that include breakfast in our restaurant. When you come back you should find the package option a better overall value!

Thanks again,

Reviewed September 5, 2013

1st let me say that if you stay on the 2nd floor depending on where its at, like our room, we could not get the luggage cart to our door and had to carry all of our stuff along ways. So the setup of this hotel is way outdated. Other than that, the staff was EXCELLENT, the bed was AWESOME. We slept in both mornings of our stay. The outdoor pool was very refreshing and was surprised to see that it was 10 feet deep. We spent several hours out their. One of the biggest and best outdoor pools around, Way better than average. We had a good time at the bar and got some great recommendations from the bartender on where to party at in Westport. This weird layout of this place is outweighed by all the other amenities it offers. Free garage parking, free wifi, free shuttle service, and great staff as well as GREAT location. Westport is only a 5 minutes away. We took a cab to Westport on Saturday night and it was only $5. We took the free shuttle on Sunday night. Keep up the good work!!!

Room Tip: Choose a top floor facing the swimming pool.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank K9SONTHELOOSE

K9SONTHELOOSE,
Thank you for the great review. As I stated in an earlier review we are in the process of planning improvements that will eliminate the luggage cart / layout issue that you mention. Our pool is the largest outdoor hotel pool in the Kansas City area, and is a favorite with our guests. A number of previous guests have told us that the pool and courtyard area feel more like a Mexican resort than a hotel in Kansas City! I appreciate all of your comments about our excellent staff, awesome bed, free parking, free Wi-Fi, free shuttle service, and great location! I think you just about covered everything.

We certainly hope that you will come back to Kansas City and stay with us again!

Best regards,

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The workers were very nice , The rooms seem to be out dated , carpet was damp from the ac, the pool area was nice. the food was good thou it was not busy it took a while for the food to arrive,
It was close to country club plaza and they did have shuttles to take you there and pick up.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Caruso22,
First let me apologize that your carpet was damp. I hope that you called our staff to fix that for you. Even with our preventative maintenance measures once in a while a hvac drain will stop up and cause this sort of problem. If you let us know we can take immediate steps to resolve the problem. As for the guestroom decor, our photos on our website are very current and a great representation of our guestrooms.

On a more positive not, I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating. You also mentioned one of our guests’ favorite amenities, our complimentary shuttle service within a three mile radius of the hotel. It seems to be a great convenience for so many of our guests.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed here for three days for a convention and was pleased to find the hotel exceeded my expectations for a Holiday Inn. I didn't mind in the least that the decor was not ultra-trendy; the hotel and rooms are very functional, clean and pleasant. I slept exceptionally well. The staff, particularly the catering staff, was super friendly, efficient and helpful.
The only things I did mind were an awkward building layout including some steep, unfriendly ramps and ultra-long hallways (making it difficult to get from one room to another) and no grab bars in the tub/shower. Also, be advised that this HI allows pets: some other convention-goers complained of dog barking that woke them up early or kept them up late.
I found it a nice, reasonably priced place to stay close to downtown KC.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Asat85,
We appreciate your review of our hotel. It is great to hear that we exceeded your expectations- that is our goal. Thank you for mentioning our friendly staff, especially our catering / banquets staff that serviced your three days of meetings.

I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the building layout. We are in the process of planning some capital improvements in that area to improve our guests’ experience. It is feedback like yours that keep us continually improving our property. Also, we are a pet friendly hotel but the noise disturbance is very uncommon.

Again we appreciate your time to write the review and your kind words about our hotel.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was part of a weekend long collectors event held at this hotel and can not stop raving about the experience I had.

This may not be the grandest hotel in the vicinity but the service is better here than I have experienced at some 4 star hotels. The sales & banquet staff went above and beyond all expectations. I have worked on events in cities all over the US and have never had a staff so willing to go out of their way to assist on so many levels. Adrienn from sales is wonderful and right on top of everything to make sure our needs were met.

The service is tops in ALL areas and the staff extremely pleasant. I was told many times they work to attain a service rating of 10, the highest, but what they deliver deserves a 15. One employee in particular, Roxann should be the model on which every service industry person should follow. She is a huge asset to Holiday Inn.

The food in the restaurant and at banquets was very good and the chef did a wonderful job of incorporating our event themes into the meal presentations.

The decor of the hotel is modern and simple, kept very clean. I didn't spend much time in my room but it was very clean and the bed comfortable. I never heard any sounds coming from the halls or adjoining rooms.

Great location and outstanding staff, thank you Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza for making my eight days with you such a pleasure.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Michael,
It was certainly a pleasure having your group stay with us for a great week of events! Adrienn and Roxanne are just a couple of our superstar associates who dedicate themselves to exceeding our guests’ expectations! It is wonderful to hear that our service is on par or better than 4 star hotels you have stayed with in the past. We take pride in being flexible so that we can accommodate the needs of all of our guests.
Your heartfelt praises are the greatest reward that I can pass along to our wonderful staff!
We look forward to hosting your group again in the future and continuing this great relationship.

My heartfelt thanks,

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was there a few weeks ago for a wedding and I had a wonderful time. The rooms were very up to date and all the staff at the front desk were very personable and eager to assist. The shuttle service was GREAT since the wedding and reception were at another location. On the way to the wedding the mgr drove because they were a little understaffed. He was wonderful conversation on the ride to the church and I think his willingness to assist his staff was admirable. I will kick myself if I do not mention this instance of wonderful hospitality shown to my little sister and I from the shuttle driver Washington who arrived after the reception. He was absolutely fantastic. My sister was very sick from partying a little too hard. I was very worried and contemplating leaving my friends (who I haven't seen in a very long time) to ride back with her. I was standing there arguing with her because she was insisting I stay, when Washington tapped me on the back and said "Miss please do not worry, I will take great care of your sister so you can go enjoy time with your friends." I thought that was absolutely wonderful hospitality and he deserves a shout out. I also thought the breakfast buffet was pretty good for a buffet. I loved it and the coffee was delicious and much needed after a night of going out. The pool was perfect for my little daughter to play and swim around. She enjoyed so much time swimming with gma and gpa. Ultimately, it was a wonderful trip and very relaxing (the beds were amazing). I think you have a very warm and friendly staff and a great hotel and you should be very proud of the service you provide. I work at a very high class five star resort and spa, and I know it is not easy to constantly be friendly and accomodating to needy guests, but we gotta do it don't we! We aren't able to take trips very often and I am incredibly satisfied with that whole trip and the hospitality shown to my whole family! Thank you for that :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Alexander,
Thank you so much for your review. Washington is one of our great associates and I will pass along your comments- it is very rewarding for our teammates to have guests mention them by name for their actions! This is especially meaningful coming from someone in the industry, especially a five star resort, who knows excellent customer service.
We hope that you get a chance to come back and stay with us again!

Best regards,

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We've stayed a few times as it is close to the plaza. Staff is very helpful and they do offer a shuttle service. However rooms are tired and areas have damaged furnishings and wear that make one question if there might be better place to stay. The hallways are dark- I get a sense that this place might have been "the bomb" 10 - years ago and stayed that way. As I've noticed in other Holiday Inn's the cleaning staff congregate in groups in hallways obstructing traffic and our first room did not have cable on demand movies. Once reported the staff was helpful in moving to a new room.

Unless you like to be close to the Art Museum or Kansas Art Institute- consider staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Martha C,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the rooms. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G