“Great Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Belleville, Illinois
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here back in January for a girls' weekend. The location is great...within walking distance to Country Club Plaza and a short drive to Westport area or downtown/power n Lights District- both great areas for nightlife. Check out Cafe Trio across the street for great drinks and tapas or dinner. They had a jazz pianist entertaining the night we were there. Jack Stacks is awesome for barbecue...the burnt ends sandwich is my all-time favorite. Hotel was very clean and modern. Front desk attendants were very accommodating. The parking garage located under the hotel is free, but small, and the spaces are extremely narrow and during the weekends when the hotel is busy, it is almost impossible to get in or out of the spaces. I have a mid size car and literally spent about 20 minutes one night driving around it, trying to fit in different spaces before finding one that we would also be able to get out of. Named my own price on Priceline and got the room for a steal...$50/ night! I would gladly pay more to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
SunBum09,
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel, especially being clean and modern and in regards to our very accommodating front desk staff. I will surely pass along these comments as your acknowledgement of their efforts is great appreciated.
You mentioned some frustration with parking while you were here. My best tip is to park when you first arrive and then take advantage of our complimentary shuttle service (within 3 miles of the hotel). This saves you time and frustration with constantly finding a new parking space-especially on those busy weekends!
You also mentioned our great location just walking distance (or shuttle distance) from Kansas City's best, - like the Country Club Plaza, Jack's Stack BBQ, and Cafe Trio. We are happy that you had time to enjoy some of KC's finest shopping, food, and drink!
We hope that you will stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to KC.

Best regards,

Asst Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Pacific, Missouri
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here infrequently last summer and am now doing the same again. Relatively the same review as before, the breakfast is so-so. My room was missing a shower curtain when I checked in, but the staff was quick to bring and install a new one. The location is great, the price is reasonable for KC. My biggest complaint is still that the parking garage is tiny.

Room Tip: Skip breakfast at the hotel, go to Denny's.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
We appreciate you staying with us again this summer as you did last summer. As we often have a full buffet I am not sure what part of your breakfast is so-so. Any specific feedback would be appreciated so that we can address that for you. Also, my apologies for a missing shower curtain- that room should never have been assigned to you and I have addressed this with our housekeeping department- a miscommunication was the cause of this and we have changed our procedures to assure this will not happen again. We appreciate you continuing to stay with us and look forward to your return.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked this hotel on Priceline hoping for a nice stay near the Plaza. This property delivers on location for sure. Checkin was quick and easy. To get to the room its a bit of a walk as the elevators aren't near the front desk. I will say that this hotel seems a bit dated and could probably use a makeover. The hallways seem dark and sterile and the rooms could use some decorating. Parking is under ground and free, which I found refreshing. Most larger cities seem to charge for such a feature. If you're alright with no frills then this place is for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
wdharrington,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and noting our great location. We are constantly improving our property and appreciate your feedback. Our secure parking is a great amenity for our guests- and as you noted this is something for which most hotels would charge extra, but we do not.

Thanks again,

Richardson TX
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Checked in here on Tuesday night before the 4th of July. I had read the reviews by other travelers and was skeptic about all the glowing evaluations I had read. But I wanted to stretch my vacation dollar and so I took a leap of faith and booked the room. I was surprised at how nice the staff was. The hotel is within walking distance of the world-famous, Country Club Plaza. Free, gated, underground parking made us feel very safe. Our room was very clean and the staff was very nice. The beds were incredibly comfortable (and I have a Tempur-Pedic) and on two mornings, I didn't want to get up! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
RichardsonTxCjb,
Wow! It is fantastic to hear that even though you were initally skeptical that you took the leap of faith and found out what a great value the Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza has to offer travelers coming to our area. We are the little gem here on the Country Club Plaza. We appreciate your comments about our clean, comfortable hotel, and our fantastic beds. That is quite a comparison with your Tempur-Pedic at home! Thank you again for your kind words, and we hope that you will have the chance to stay with us again in the future.

Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our family stayed here for four nights with a group of about 13 other families. We were very impressed with the friendliness and professionalism of the front-desk and restaurant staff. They were very nice, very helpful and very accommodating. We enjoyed the outdoor pool. Unlike many other hotel pools, the water was crystal clear (and very refreshing on a couple of very hot days). The room itself was average - a little worn but clean and comfortable. The hotel is very convenient to the Country Club Plaza as well as a little park with a nice walking/running path. We enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ohiomom 15,
We appreciate you choosing the Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza for your visit along with the several other families which were also here. It is rewarding to hear that you appreciated our friendly and profession staff- they strive everyday for your compliments. I have shared you feedback with them. We also appreciate your great comments about our pool- it is the largest outdoor hotel pool in the city. This pool is very popular with our guests and we are happy to see that you found it sparkling and refreshing. Once again, we thank you for your feedback and look forward to seeing you again.

At your service,
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I don’t have anything bad to say about this hotel and I would stay there again. It has free wifi and free underground parking, 2 of the free things that I look for. The room was clean, the shower was good, the air conditioning was adequate, housekeeping was efficient and the staff was pleasant. We had a small problem that required maintenance and it was taken care of within 30 minutes of reporting it.
The area is full of restaurants, museums, shops and things to see, much of it within walking distance. There is a hotel shuttle (also free) to help you get around.
There is a restaurant and bar in the hotel and there is room service available. The restaurant is open for breakfast and after 5. Prices are reasonable in the restaurant and for room service. We ate there twice and the food was very good both times. There is a full service breakfast and a breakfast bar.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Geoffrey Z,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our property. We appreciate your comments about our maintenace staff quickly resolving the small problem you had. It sounds like you had the opportunity to visit many of the things to see and do in this great area of Kansas City and also the chance to let our shuttle transoport you to/from those attractions. We hope that you will choose our property the next time your travels bring you to Kansas City!

Best regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 19, 2013

First off, I would like to say - wow on the service from the staff at this hotel. Everyone was amazing always friendly and willing to help. Again the service was an A+. Now let me tell you why I didn't give them a 5 rating. When I booked this location on the internet, I booked a spring sale, which was a good deal. I booked 2 rooms, with 4 adults each room. When we arrived they had us in 1 room with a king bed, the other room was two queen bed. I asked how this was possible and I was told a king bed is a standard room, and that I had booked a standard room???? Now, I have traveled a lot, and NEVER, has a standard room been a king room, which is usually a higher priced room. Anyhow, they told me they were sold out, then did some finagling and put us in another two queen room, which is what we should of had in the beginning. I even asked how they thought they were putting four adults in a king room, they said they could bring roll a way bed to the room, hmmmm, that still only accounts for three people. Then the first night of our stay, around midnight the front desk called to tell us the smoke detector was going off. We told them it was not, that we were in the room and the smoke alarm was not going off. Then about 20 minutes later the alarm DID go off, so we called back to the front desk and told them the alarm was going off and they sent maintenance man. He told us they had problems a few nights before on this room with the alarm. Well needless to say the alarm went off another time (we actually had to leave the room, because the screeching was horrible) at which time the maintenance man actually turned off the smoke detector all together. Not too sure how many violations that may have created. Around 2 O'clock a.m. the maintenance man finally came back and fixed it and said he shouldn't have to bother us again. So the next morning went down to talk to the manager, the gal at the desk said she would help, we told her about having to stay up and be inconvenienced until 2 am. and thought maybe the hotel could do something with our bill, she said she would take 1/2 of one night stay off, and comp our breakfast. When we get back to the room, she calls and said, she can't take 1/2 off the tax, so it would just be fifty dollars off. WELL, the next day when we check out, the quoted price from booking had changed significantly. When I inquired about this, I was informed how the double queen room cost more than a standard (king) room.... Our breakfast was not comped, the $50.00 was not 1/2 of a room cost for one night. I feel like this was quite a shady deal and shady explanation of the "manager on duty" handling the situation... BEWARE BEFORE YOU BOOK. It is a shame that I feel I got bamboozled on the deal, because all the hard work and kindness and great customer service is for nothing when the guest still leave upset by the situation. I would truly like to talk to someone from the holiday inn brand, to discuss this bait and switch deal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear bamah,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Kansas City, MO.

Orlando A.