“Not too bad”

Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn at The Plaza, Kansas City for 2 nights. First impressions were that it was a bit so so. However, good underground free parking, a very comfortable bed and a fairly decent breakfast helped to bring us round. The bar service a little limited but draft ale was available including Stones IPA.

The hotel was a bit noisy on the second night as there was a lot of people in for graduation proms. Hotels do really need to think about how to make doors more soundproof !! This wouldn't dissuade us from staying again, I guess it is just a bit of the luck of the draw.

The location is handy for restaurants and bars and makes for easy getting around. The spa was closed when we were there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian B
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Ian B,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at our property. We are happy that you enjoyed the amenities and services offered by our hotel as well as our central location to all the best Kansas City has to offer!
We hope that you will stay with us if you travels bring you back to our wonderful city.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The location was great as the KC Plaza is a fantastic area. Our room was clean, tastefully decorated. Staff was always very pleasant, helpful, cheerful. Our phone in the room did not work. I had to call the front desk from my cell phone. The toilet sat very low. Seemed lower than regulation chair height. Both my husband and I had a heck of a time using it. Lastly, there were not enough electrical recepticals in the room. My husband and I both use a C-Pap machine (for sleep apnea) and there was only ONE plug near the bed, and it was on the wall behind the headboard and extremely difficult to get to.

Room Tip: Ask where exactly the ice machines are, of you probably won't find them.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Maplewood_Jen,
We appreciate you taking time to help us to continually improve our guests experience. I understand the frustration with electrical outlets never seeming to be where you need them at any given time. We recently added additional outlets by the workdesks and televisions in response to guest needs for laptops, cell phones, cameras, etc. I have shared your concern with our engineering director and he is examining options for solve your concern.

In regards to the toilets in the hotel, we have plumbing industry standard height toilets in all our of rooms. I am not sure exactly what your concern was about our toilets but I encourage you to reach out to me so that I can more fully understand.

Thank you for noting our pleasant staff. I will share you feedback with them as they strive to exceed all of our guests expectations.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Kansas City offered a lot more than we expected on our drive-though road trip. This Holiday Inn is a fantastic location near the Plaza - an outdoor shopping mall where you essentially drive to the stores you're looking for. Mid-level and high-end shops, and a movie theater as well. You can walk both to the Plaza and within it - but it would be a long walk. Free shuttle will come pick you up within 3 miles if you get tired - nice thought/offer from the staff as my husband and I were debating on the walk. Lots of excellent restaurants to choose from. Hotel was standard, as to be expected. Staff was friendly. No annoying housekeeping knock in the morning and we didn't even have the DND sign out. Beds were fine/good - I didn't think about them either way, so I must have slept well. Parking was free and easy. On our way out of KC we took pictures of the city's library garage (it's neat!) and stopped for a free brief tour of the Money Museum (Federal Reserve Bank). Looked like there was a lot more to do if we had the time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Jennifer,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza. As you noted we are located in the center of all the great things to see and do here in Kansas City. The city has a lot of historical heritage, a great variety of culture and arts, and of course great food and shopping! I hope that next time you have more time to experience all KC has to offer and that you will again stay here.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here for three nights thinking we got a great deal given the good location and free parking, but we never imagined we would have such a horrible experience. First of all, the rooms were old and did not include a refrigerator and/or microwave. We called to request a refrigerator and/or microwave and we were told we would be placed on a list and that we would receive a call once they were available. We never received a call, even after the hotel cleared out. In addition, there were people hanging out in the hallway, yelling from one side of the hallway to the other and slamming doors throughout the middle of night: midnight to about 4:00am. I called Guest Services, more than once, to report the issue and was repeatedly told they would send security, which did not resolve the issue. Then when I brought this up to management upon check out, they blamed it on all of the college students in the area. Very Disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Barbara,
Let me first apologize for the issue of people making noise near your room. Our staff responded to your calls but upon arrival the offenders were gone. Our staff patrolled the area for a period of time and heard no noise on the floor. If we had more specific information regarding which room(s) these individuals were in we could have done more. It is disappointing that a couple of rowdy individuals can ruin the stay of other guests.

In regards to the microwave and refrigerator, we do have a number of them available on a first come first served basis. I understand that in limited service hotels these can be a standard feature in rooms, but as a full service hotel with a restaurant and lunge we do not advertise these as a standard room amenity. I do apologize for any confusion there may have been about these.

Our property does offer a great location and great value for guests coming to Kansas City and to the Country Club Plaza. While incidents like this can happen they are rare and we work diligently to ensure our guests comfort.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed three nights for business; the hallways/rooms are on a split level floor, so you end up carrying your luggage up 5 steps...even if you take the elevator up to your floor...(very strange). Hallways are dark and you have a distance to walk if you need the elevator/ice/ etc...if your room is located at the opposite end of these locations. Otherwise staff were friendly...free breakfast was great.

Room Tip: If you stay; request the rooms close to the elevator and tell them you do not want to go up the step...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

SPARC98,
We do have one corridor that requires guests to go up 5 steps if their room is past that point. This affects a very small number of rooms and I'm sorry that this was inconvenient for you during your stay. If you return just ask our friendly front desk staff for a room that avoids that hallway.

I do appreciate you noting our friendly staff. We strive for this recognition and appreciate the kind words.

I hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to KC.

Asst Director of Sales

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Absolutely fantastic location - can walk to the Plaza for shops and restaurants as well as the Nelson-Atkins and Kemper museums. Free parking is a huge plus as no other hotel in the area offers it. We did not find the size of the spaces to be an issue as there were tons of vacant ones, as well as outdoor parking.

Rooms was standard Holiday Inn calibar. Clean and modern enough. Biggest downside was the lack of adequate lighting in the room. An additional light fixture on the ceiling would have been very useful.

I would definitely stay again when returning to Kansas City.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

JKNY329_10
Thank you for taking time to review our property. It is especially gratifying hearing from an experienced traveler. Our location and free parking and clean modern rooms make us an ideal choice for anyone coming to visit Kansas City and especially the Country Club Plaza.
We look forward to serving you again the next time you visit Kansas City

At your service,

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed overnight for business. I was told at checkout that their systems were down and they would gladly email me a receipt when they came back up. When I called for a receipt the following day, I was told that my company was billed directly. Over two weeks later, my personal credit card was billed. Now a month's gone by and I noticed the charge and I called to request a copy of my bill and was told that one would be emailed to me. It was and it was blank. When I called for a third time to again request a copy of the bill, I'm again told that it was billed to my company directly, despite the charge clearly showing up on my credit card. So now I have to dispute the charge with my credit card company. This is for a one night's stay. Completely not worth it for the trouble alone and dealing with what is likely an erroneous or duplicate charge show up over 2 weeks later on my credit card.

On the plus side, it's a clean room, nice location and the salad I ordered through room service was very good. Check your bill!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

khot,
Please accept my apology for the difficulty you had with your billing. We had some difficulty with our computer system, but it should not have caused an error like this. If this has not already been resolved then please contact me immediately and I will make sure we have this corrected to your satisfaction!
Thank you for you kind words about the location, cleanliness of the hotel, and quality of room service. Your satisfaction is our number one goal!

Assisstant Director of Sales