All reviewscountry club plazafront deskunderground parkinggreat bartenderfree shuttlehotel barshuttle servicewithin walking distanceoutdoor poolart museummile radiusbreakfast buffet ishotel shuttleconvention centerunion stationsimonekc
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We have had great experience and we are actually checking in for a two night stay this week for our 20th anniversary! It's great having the free shuttle service for a night out at the plaza. The pool is amazing for kids and adults! Looking forward to our stay and once again, the excellent service!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Kerri,
Thank you for the vote of confidence. We look forward to having you back again for your 20th Anniversary!! Choosing our property for such a special event is very rewarding to us and our staff will do our best to make it a great event for you.

Happy Anniversary,

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel is just tired. The hotel has a smell to it that I cant put my finger on...part mold, part sauerkraut and part baby puke. At 7:00 AM housekeeping is cleaning carpets in the hallway outside my room...really! They said it was cooler in the morning for the staff to work. Coffee delivered....last nights coffee still cold. Internet is way too slow for business travelers. Housekeeping was knocking on my door at 7:30 wondering when I was leaving...well not soon enough!

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor next to the ice machine and it was quiet ...surprise. I would definitlly go for a higher floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LoriGray

LoriGray,
Thank you for your feedback concerning your recent stay here. We have not had any other complaints regarding an unpleasant smell in the property but we will check into this. Since our housekeeping department does not start until after 8 a.m. I am confused as to how they would have knocked on your door at 7:30 a.m.- it is our policy not to disturb guests prior to 9:00 a.m. unless the "please clean my room" sign is on the door handle. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced and we will use your feedback to improve service to all of our guests.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I booked 2 rooms for 2 nights thru VisitKC.com for a special that included a $40.00 credit for each room for food and drink. My wife checks in and brings back a voucher for 2 free breakfasts. When I asked the night manager about the credit he tells me that I didn't book the "Splash and Save" special. I told him yes I did and he stands there and argues with me about it. He tells me I couldn't have because the price wasn't right and "he deals with this everyday".

He tells me that he will look into it further and call me in my room. Which never happened. The next morning I asked to speak to the day manager to which I was told she was conveniently in a meeting. The rude lady behind the counter says " you must be in 267, yea I heard all about you" Once again I get the " oh I deal with these specials everyday and you didn't book it correctly because your price isn't correct"

If they would look on VisitKC. com they would notice that the price is lower than it is on the Holiday Inn website. We were supposed to stay 2 days but checked out after the first night. Food was average and rooms and customer service are in serious need of an overhaul.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank photo1024
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear JBlome,
I think you must have selected the wrong hotel for this review. I reviewed the attached photo and it is obviously not from my hotel None of linens have a stiched pattern on them. This photo is definately not from our property. Our pillows, pillowcases, sheets, etc. all have a completely smooth finish. I do apologize for your experience, where ever it was, but this was not here.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Let me start with the positive, the staff is very friendly, decent pool and the location is great. Now with the bad. Bugs. Various types. When I got in late and pulled back the covers there was a dead flea on my pillow (see photo). I Shrugged it off, not much surprises me in hotels anymore. The next morning I put my foot in my shoe and felt something. I though it my be some dirt or something so I took my shoe off and out fell a roach the size of my key card (again, see photo). Not what you want to see. I squashed the bugger and threw him away. Next morning while brushing my teeth, i looked in the mirror to see a spider dangling in front of my face from its' web in the ceiling. Needless to say I incinerated my clothes and took a scalding hot shower when I got back home. The place was sold out so I didn't ask for another room and I'm not the type to make a scene so I emailed the management to let them know. No response.
Lesson learned.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Dear JBlome,

Reviewed July 8, 2012

The hotel did not seem very busy the weekend we stayed, we hardly saw anyone at all the whole time. Regardless, we found the lady behind the check in desk to be rude and brisk. She wasn't very friendly at check-in, and we had very poor experiences calling to the desk when we needed something. First, we called to ask which pizza delivery was closest. She said "pizza hut" and hung up. We called back and said "You didn't give us the number, we're not from this area we don't know pizza hut's number nearest the hotel." she said the number very fast and before i could say anything more hung up on me. Our toilet also hardly flushed, and we had to wait at least 20-30 min between flushes to use the toilet again. It took that long to fill back up with water. Very annoying with 4 adults in the room trying to drink lots of water on a 108 degree day! We also said at check-in we had 4 adults staying in our room, but only had 3 towels in our room. We used these towels at the pool (which was the best part of our stay) because they didn't offer towels at the pool, so we called the desk about 8pm or so to ask for 4 bath towels so we could all shower. It took FOREVER (two of us were waiting on towels to shower before bed). We were promised they would be right up. About an hr later I was going to call again thinking they forgot when they brought us THREE towels. Not 4 like I specifically requested. We were told rooms only came with 3 towels. We told you at check in we have 4 adults, I told you specifically on phone we needed 4 towels. How are 4 adults supposed to shower with 3 towels?? We were NOT given a 4th towel! Really how hard would it be to give us one more towel so everyone could take a shower?? Ridiculous!! Like I said, the pool was the best part of our stay. We called ahead and were told we could bring our alcoholic drinks to the pool as long as no glass. We brought a small cooler with our own beers. Had no problem with staff on this. Was disappointed the outdoor poolside buffet ONLY had meat to offer. Two vegetarians in our group wanted to eat but couldn't. How hard would it be to offer some vegetarian options? We had to order that pizza instead.
Also very frustrating was no fridge! I haven't stayed in a hotel at this price range without a room fridge in years! It's so standard now. We called ahead and asked for a fridge and were told rooms do not have fridges. We had to bring a huge cooler to keep our snacks cold. It was very inconvenient to constantly get ice from the machine to try to keep cheese and yogurt from going bad on the hottest day of the summer without a fridge. The AC also could not keep up. When we arrived our room was 76. We set the temp at 61, went swimming, and it was still 76 when we got back. It only dropped one degree overnight, and was back up to 76 by the time we left. I woke up several times sweating during the night.
I'm only rating a 3 because of the pool. It wasn't very busy and we felt we mostly had it to ourselves, especially Sunday afternoon before we checked out. The noodles were nice to try to float with. Rafts would have been better, but I'll take the noodles over nothing. Customer service I rate a 2 at best.

Room Tip: If you want a nice view you need to specifically request it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank C C
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

C.C,
I see this is your first review of a property on TripAdvisor. I thank you for your honest feedback as the service you received does not meet our standards, and certainly was not what you expected. Did you happen to report the air conditioning or toilet problem to any of our staff? I did not see any mention of it in the review. If you would like to contact me I am happy to work with on the issues you experienced.