“Pleasant stay for an unexpected extended layover”

Kansas City Airport Marriott
Ranked #58 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 27, 2009

My 20 minute layover at MCI airport turned into a 24 hour layover due the flight being canceled at 11AM. The airline placed myself as well as other passengers at the Marriott near the airport. Convienient transportation shuttle apprx 15 minute wait, and about a 5 minute ride to the hotel. Greeted by friendly staff who quickly checked us in as we arrived from the airport. Front desk staff very helpful, answered my multiple questions about the area, also gave suggestions of where to go if I wanted to venture away from the airport area. Bed was comfortable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank hoopette

Reviewed May 16, 2009

Stayed here for two nights in March for the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournment. The main reason I stayed was the great rate of $89/night PLUS a breakfast buffet. On top of that my friend I was staying with had a $100 Bonus Bucks coupon which was good for $100 off a two-night stay. The entire two-night stay ended up being around $100. Not a bad deal!!! Hotel is clean and convenient to the airport. If you want to go anywhere you will need a car because there is NOTHING (besides the airport) around. Pool was OK. The hot tub deck was kind of old and disgusting. Breakfast buffet was good.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank grensi
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I have commuted to KC for 5+ years, I have stayed at the KCI Marriott quite a few times over the years when I have a particularly early flight. One of the nice things about this hotel was that it had a Hertz desk on-site so you could pick up your car from Hertz and then drop it here the evening before your departure and take the shuttle (which starts at 4:40 a.m.) directly to the terminal, 5 mins. away. When I checked in last night, I was told that the hotel no longer has its agreement with Hertz. (Someone needs to tell Hertz since its website still shows this as a dropoff site and its personnel told me I could drop here when I picked my car up earlier this week. The desk clerk told me they would call Hertz to come pick up my car but I was left with the feeling that I was putting them out and that I should probably not do it again.

Regular rooms are too small. With the refurbishment and the new desks, chairs, etc, you have to move furniture if you wish to get to the far side of the bed. (Why no flat screens when you are refurbishing?) I am platinum and am usually upgraded to a junior suite (once even getting the "Presidential Suite"), however, this was not the case last night. Regular room is way too small when you have seen the others. Beds and linen are your typical high-end Marriott variety - quite comfortable. "Wired for Business" (internet) is $12.99/day here which is high when there are so many other choices around (though this hotel is by far the closest to the airport).
Bottom line: I probably will not stay here again. I have stayed at many hotels here at KCI and, frankly, most are dated and a little worn. No gems here, with one exception. There is a recently opened Residence Inn here at the airport which is quite nice.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank jocnnr
Reviewed March 4, 2009

i frequently stay at this hotel for business here are a couple thigns to look forward to. resturant has COLD beer, great food and a wonderrful view of the lake. The 9th floor is the place to be with peanuts and other nuts at every table, wonderful snack food and breakfast in the morning, your home away from the crowd downstairs. Fitness room loaded TV screens on every treadmill

hope you enjoy and go for the 9th floor, you deserve it

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2008

Stayed here for a business trip and was pleasantly surprised.
This Marriott is right on the Airport premises which makes it very easy to go back and forth. The room was spacious, seemed a little larger than most Marriotts I have stayed in. Didn't get to use many of the facilities but did see the fitness center which was small but sufficent enough. Staff is very nice and helpful.
Room service was expensive but the food was good.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 14, 2008

we chose the K.C airport marriott simply because of its location being the closest hotel to the terminal , we wanted to get some rest after the two flights we had taken to get there.
the hotel more than met our needs,the pool was great to help us relax and the kids enjoyed some fun swimming after hours sat on a plane, the spa bath as another reviewer has already mentioned did appear to be just a small domestic type & not what you would expect to find in a large hotel but it was fine as we had the pool area to ourselves.
the room was fine for our needs ,clean with very comfortable beds, we got a great nights sleep !
the staff were great , friendly & helpful ,fast & easy check in/out
and when they had a problem getting the kitchen to make the pizza that came as part of the package we had booked they sent out for a pizza delivery ,gave us a double order, extra fries ,4 sodas that came with the room deal ,and complimentary beers all sent up as room service, they really went the extra mile to make sure we were happy,all in all a great start to our vacation, I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel & staff to anyone .

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank cheshirelad01
Reviewed April 14, 2008

I've stayed in this hotel about a dozen times. Yes, the rooms are small, as most reviews here mention. But, the beds are very comfortable. The hotel is flanked by the A Terminal and rent car lots. This is literally smack in the middle of the airport, so it's not like visitors are going to be people on vacation looking for a resort. They are mostly business travelers on a quick stay the night before or after a flight. The lobby bar is normally full of tipsy Southwest Airline flight attendants, and after midnight it turns into a major league hook-up bar. I've been there on week nights when it's been 11:30 and the bar was wall-to-wall people in on business with a flight out the following day or the next.
There are no other restaurants within walking distance or quick driving distance. You have to go a few miles down I-29 to hit the Zona Rosa area with a dozen or more restaurants in a neat little area. Otherwise, you're stuck at the Marriott.
When you check in, ask the attendant behind the desk to include breakfast with your room. They'll add $10. If you do without and go to breakfast the next morning, get the buffet and pay on your own it can be over $15.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business