“Nice stay, even in smoking room”

Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed November 10, 2010

We booked our room through a travel website. When we checked in they told us they only had smoking rooms available. They assured us it was cleaned and had air purifiers so it wouldn't smell. Well, the room WAS very, very clean but still smelled of smoke somewhat. I don't know that you can ever get that smell out! I was pregnant at the time so my nose was extra sensitive. My husband wasn't bothered by it. The staff were so sweet - they gave us a free breakfast for taking a smoking room. The breakfast was quite yummy, the hotel was well kept and we weren't awakened by any noises. All in all a good stay. We would return.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dgh1978
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center

Reviewed November 1, 2010

I visited the Hyatt for a conference in July. The room was immaculate, the view was beautiful, the foyer very airy. The staff were all very friendly and courteous. After sleeping there the first night, I noticed some red bumps on my stomach. I thought it was mosquito bites or maybe chafing from my pants but a few more showed up the next night but I ignored it and went home. It wasn't until about two weeks later that I started waking up with more and more red bumps all over. I found a huge bed bug infestation in my mattress, and a small nest of them in my luggage. I'd give the Hyatt another chance if they could guarantee they fumigated and treated everything properly. Otherwise would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank kkd808
KyMoody, Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2010

On behalf of Hyatt Regency Crown Center in Kansas City, please allow me to reach out to you regarding your stay at our property. We take every report of bed bugs very seriously. If a guest reports that he or she may have bed bugs, we take swift action. We immediately remove the room from service and call in a nationally recognized pest control expert to investigate the room and take all steps necessary to address the situation.

The Safety of out guests and the cleanliness of our facilities are top priorities. The trained and knowledgeable housekeeping staff at Hyatt Regency Crown Center are one of the best lines of defense along with our regular inspections. We pride ourselves on keeping our team equipped with the knowledge, training, and tools needed to identify and address any issues, and we regularly review our housekeeping standards and procedures to ensure that each Hyatt guest enjoys a safe, clean and comfortable environment in our hotels.

We encourage all of our guests to report any alleged incidents to us promptly so we can quickly address the situation.

Ky Moody
Hotel Assistant Manager
816-421-1234
ky.moody@hyatt.com

Reviewed October 26, 2010

Was there with a smallish (75 people) conference and it was very nice. Meals were great and staff were accomodating. My only complaint was that some special functions were held in private areas, such as a reception in the middle of the hotel lobby or our coffee breaks in the hallway that led to the Link to the Crown Center Hotel. Other than that, no compaints, great location, all updated and a really nice place. By the way this property became rather famous for a "tea dance" in 1981. Some of you may recall that.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We stay at this hotel every year. Nice hotel, clean rooms, friendly staff. It's attached via an above ground tunnel to crown center shopping mall. There's places to shop, eat etc.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Well it was not my choice, but the 70's are alive and well here. The atrium style lobby has a decent layout but it is so dated in style, and colors. Need a total refurb. Rooms are OK - they've been updated, plenty of room but beds are poor. Not up to other Hyatt's in standard.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed here while attending a conference in Kansas City. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The pool was nice, clean, and relaxing. The hotel has many amenities including a fitness center, several restaurants, and gift shop. There is a business center but you must pay to use the computers. I was a little disappointed by that. The hotel also has a spinning rooftop restaurant called Skies. (must see) It offers great views of the city. Our room was on the 37th floor. The views were terrific. My only complaint is that the hotel isn't walking distance to the convention center and downtown area where the Hilton, Marriott, and other hotels are. It's a short cab ride or a very long walk. Overall, we had a nice relaxing stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend. We were attending a WW I conference at the nearby WW I museum (fantastic place--everyone should visit there!!). We had not been to KC and it was a last minute trip, so I didn't have a lot of time to look into other hotels. We didn't want to stay way out in the suburbs because the conference began very early each morning and we wanted to be close to the site of the conference. We never stay at expensive hotels and now I remember why--you really get nothing for all that money. The only good thing I can say about this place is it was only minutes away from the WW I Museum (the conference was held at the museum, though, so no advantage to stay here except they had a shuttle to and from the confrence but we had rented a car so it did not matter). This hotel was recommended by the conference and we thought we were getting a good rate. I did look online before I booked and saw that AARP and government rates were a lot more, yet at $119 a night, I feel we overpaid. I did not look into other booking sites and should have. I think we could have saved a lot more money. The room was spotless, I have to say that--very clean. The bed was very comfortable. The walls were pretty thick so it was a quiet, good sleeping environment. Everything worked well in the room. There was a refrigerator and a safe in the room which was nice, but at that price, they should have one. Strange, but they had no phone book in the room. Also, they get a really limited selection of TV channels. You would expect more from a luxury hotel. I did not find the check-in people that friendly but they were adequate. You can get a free Wall Street Journal daily and free Sunday paper in the lobby area. We did not have time to check out the other facilities at the htoel because we were at the conference all day for two days. We were very disappointed that they did not have a free Internet business room (rates were $.54 per minute--unbelievable!). My husband did not bring his laptop and for some reason, his blackberry did not work anywhere in Kansas City (it worked fine before and worked fine in Independance) so we don't know why it would not work there, so that was not good that we could not access the Internet free. Nothing is free in this hotel except the newspapers. Parking was $14.50 which was a rip-off. I hate fo pay for parking. Had I read Trip Advisor before we went (my fault, but as I said it was a last minute trip), I would have found out there was free parking on weekends a block away, although that might have been far to carry all our bags. I will never stay in a "luxury" place again. You really get nothing for your money. We can get clean rooms at more moderate prices. I will certainly not stay in this 'rip-off' place again. I would only recommend it if you were traveling on business and your company was paying for it, but don't waste your own money because there are "no extras" at that price.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business