“Great Stay at the Hyatt!”

Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed April 22, 2009

We booked this hotel through Priceline at an excellent price of $55/nt. and really liked this hotel! They are in the middle of a remodel, so I'm not sure if our room has already been remodeled or not, but it was great. Our view was awesome, good sized rooms,great bathrooms. We went with friends to celebrate a birthday and the woman at the Front Desk (wish I had her name, slight accent maybe) was wonderful! She put all of our rooms next to each other on the 33rd floor with a great view of the city!
The bell staff was great too, shuttling us to a nearby restaurant and making great recommendations. Try out the restaurant at the "Flea Market" for great burgers!
Also great bbq "burnt ends" at Jack's...4 blocks from the Hyatt.
Would be a nice place to stay with kids too with the crown center shopping connected by skywalk.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 7, 2009

The rooms could have been cleaner, found bottle caps, etc.. left by previous guest

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Booked through Hotwire so great rate to start. No request was beneath the staff. Great attitude from check-in to check-out. Convenient to downtown yet far enough away to avoid March Madness crowds (not likely to attend with 2 & 4 year old. Overnight parking fee was reasonable at $14.50 for 24 hours considering the $40 tickets and no on street parking for blocks. Walking distance to Union Station (not to miss), decent restaurants, Hallmark Crown Center, and impressive WWI memorial

Facility is showing its age but staff more than compensates for this. Good overall value if booked at good rate

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Looking back on my Gold Passport history, we have stayed at the Hyatt Regency Crown Center 11 times since 2007. Everytime we stay there we see that they are declining. The rooms are getting dated and their TV's are so outdated. Customer service has gone to pot and no one cares. The parking fee does not bother me, but waiting 30 minutes for your car really upsets me.

I booked our last reservation on the phone with a Gold Passport specialist and used points for the first night. I even used another 3000 points to be put on the Regency Club floor. In my profile it clearly states that I prefer a high floor and non-smoking room. I checked in on the kiosk and got my keys. The minute we got on the elevator I knew we weren't going to a RC floor, but didn't let it bother me too much because that has happened to me before but still had the privledges. Anyway, we opened the door and it was a nasty smoking room. Went back downstairs and said I wanted to check out (there was also some sort of a cross-dressing event going on and I was not comfortable) - the nice clerk said she didn't want me to do that instead she would upgrade me to a suite. I said that was great, but would I have to change rooms the next night since I was paying money for the second night. It took her 15 minutes on the computer to figure out that I indeed was staying the next night. In the meantime I told her to find it and told her that I was not going to stay another night there. She put us in a very nice suite - but when we walked in there were two wine glasses and a plate of half eaten strawberries on the desk. I called the front desk and said I was out of there. I also called valet and told them to get the car. Valet guys said they didn't blame us for leaving - and we weren't the only ones! We then went to an Embassy Suites and I called Gold Passport and complained. They were generous and caring. That was nice, but WE WILL NEVER RETURN TO THAT HOTEL AGAIN!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ksmortician
Reviewed March 2, 2009

This large hotel located in Kansas City was clean and comfortable with friendly staff. Location was near Crown Center but was a couple miles away from other activities like the Convention Center. We were disappointed with the doorman and/or parking attendant. Being that this was a business trip, we would need to be using the car frequently. When we asked about self-parking, we never received an answer (He was apparently assigned to valet). However, based on my experience, the $14.50 per night self-parking is fairly priced.

Check-in was quick in the spacious and lovely lobby, as the hotel appeared somewhat empty. Although the furniture in the room showed signs of wear, the room was comfortable with plenty of pillows. The bathroom was exceptionally clean. The roll-out for our son arrived before we reached the room and was roomy enough for the teen. Our biggest disappointment was that although soap, shampoo and toothpaste were generously provided, very little came with the room. There was no coffee in the morning for guests in the lobby and the Internet amenity advertised was fee for service from T-Mobile. I called the operator to ask if Internet was provided in the lobby and it was T-Mobile as well. We purchased our morning coffee at the coffee stand that served Starbucks. Later, breakfast for three was roughly $45 plus tip. Unfortunately, shoeless guests appeared acceptable at the restaurant, as there was someone dining in white socks. However, the staff (apparently working both the coffee stand and the restaurant) was very helpful, smiling and made a substitution for my dietary needs.

The fitness center was oddly located and hard to find. The pool was an outdoor heated one and unfortunately it had just snowed. We did not check out the gym itself.

When I asked for a Tylenol at exit, I was referred to the gift shop. (Please note that the Marriott nearby had pain relievers at the lobby, as I’d called and found some for one of my assignments staying there.) When you add it all up, staying at the hotel did not offer savings and is not recommended for the business traveler on the go. Be prepared. There is a business center but I did not check this out for fear of whatever other fees would be involved.

Also, please note that when I called before the arrival to change from a king to two standard beds, the hotel would not guarantee the change after asking how I purchased the room (Internet discount provider). Overall, the experience left me to the conclusion that although they would sell the overwhelming excess of rooms at a discount in this specific hotel, travelers need not expect anything else.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank chamomilegardens
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Nicely located by the shopping mall, I'd say this hotel is a good choice for Kansas City. We were in a group of 8 people and it was very convenient for us to go to the mall and grab something to eat.

During our stay, the weather was unfriendly. So, we used mainly the "Link" to and from the hotel.

As for the hotel, the rooms were cozy and of an adequate size. The bathroom was also clean, which is something important to me. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. They'd follow up with any requests we had. Parking was reasonable priced.
Some friend and I used the Fitness center. It was a small place with several bikes, elipticals and a few dumbells. It also has a small jacuzi and a regular outdoor swimming pool. It was perfect for our workout when the weather didn't allow us to go out.

Overall, we all enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt Regency.

When in town, check the "Fiorela's Jack Stack" and "Oaklahoma Joe's" (informal environment) for some good BBQ. Also, check the World War I museum.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank chanbru
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Our stay at this hotel was very good. The service was better than many hotels we have stayed at and they even went out of their way to find a teddy bear we left. The location is great and convenient to shopping and restaurants. The only reason that I didn't give five stars is that the business center had a lot of problems and cost extra. For the price of the hotel, you would think internet would be included.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family