WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center

Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center
Ranked #11 of 113 Hotels in Kansas City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Very Clean, nice motel. Warm at night.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a very nice, clean, re-modeled hotel. It is large and has conventions, but this didn't affect our stay. The pool area is pretty nice and there is a hot tub. It is right at Crown Center that holds LEGOLAND, an Aquarium and all sorts of shops and places to eat. There is an enclosed "Link" that leads to Crown Center and keeps you off the road, away from traffic.

The room was clean, smelled good and in nice shape. Had a small fridge and a safe. The beds were comfortable and the sheets, pillow cases, etc. appeared clean.

There is a bar on site, Spectators, that serves food as well. I didn't have any of the food but did have some beers. But a draft beer was $6. Crazy high for a hotel bar. I had 3 and called it a night. Didn't go my other two nights mainly because of the cost of drinks.

I do have a few complaints. Parking is expensive at $16 a day and there is no free WiFi. I did know both of these before booking a room. The parking I can live with, but no free WiFi is odd for a high end hotel these days. My MAIN complaint is the air conditioning in the room. I was pretty warm at night. We had our air set at 65 but there is no way the room got near that. I think there is some sort of energy saver device on the AC unit that shuts off the air when your not in the room for awhile and at certain hours of the day. Pretty aggravating and it might make me choose a different hotel next time. I mentioned it to the guy at the desk and he said "of course it stops blowing cold at night when it's cool." I should of complained the first night and changed hotels if it wasn't rectified. Just something to keep in mind. The weather was very mild when we were there; high of about 85. I can't imagine a 100 degree day.

Room Tip: If the AC isn't cold, ask for a different room
Green Features: Can get a $5 voucher, good at one little place in the hotel, if you don't have sheets washed, etc.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Rightside
SteveShalit_GM, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Rightside- Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us and were pleased with our new lobby and restaurant renovations. We take great pride in being located in the heart of Crown Center with so many wonderful shops and attractions and I am happy you were able to take advantage of the area at your convenience. We truly value your business and look forward to serving you as our guest in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Finnish first
Council Bluffs, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our family getaway was in great hands. Orlando and Steve really took care of us. The hotel was clean and every staff member smiled and greeted us.The rooms were clean and the hotel was peaceful. The staff were helpful in giving us directions everywhere we wanted to go. We will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dan S- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am truly delighted to hear what a signature stay you had with us and that our staff went above and beyond to ensure you had everything you needed. We truly value your business and your warm comments mean a lot to our team. We look forward to serving you as our guest again in the future.
Denver, CO, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Sheraton Crown Center in Kansas City is a really neat hotel. I had a very nice room with a cool view of downtown KC. But the best thing about the hotel is their staff. Everyone I encountered from check-in to check-out was very friendly and helpful. Even the guests seemed to be friendlier! The location can't be beat, as it is directly connected via an above-ground walkway to Crown Center, which is an amazing place for kids - and kids at heart. There is a huge Crayola Store and Crayola restaurant, lots of neat shops for kids (and adults) and just across the plaza is the Hallmark Museum, LegoLand and the Aquarium. Within the plaza is a large "spurting" fountain that the kids I saw were having a ball playing in. Friday nights feature free concerts and movies. The walkway also connects to Union Station, another cool place to take your kids. The Science Center there is fascinating and fun. Just a short drive from the hotel is the Country Club Plaza - fantastic shopping and entertainment, the World War I Monument and Museum, and the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum. Go the other direction and you are quickly in downtown KC, where the KC Power & Light Center and the many hotels and other venues provide great family and grown-up entertainment. Don't forget to eat some Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbeque (the hotel shuttle will take you there and pick you up afterward - if you don't want to walk off your meal!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SteveShalit_GM, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Carla W- I appreciate you taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am happy to hear what a great experience you had with us and that our staff was warm and welcoming from the moment you arrived, ensuring you had everything you needed for a relaxing stay. We are very fortunate to be centrally located in the heart of Crown Center and it is great you were able to indulge in all the amazing site and dining at your convenience. We truly value your business and it means a lot we were able to help create such a fun-filled, memorable experience for your family. We look forward to serving you as our guest in the future.
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

The hotel was right in the middle of everything I wanted to see. From the moment we pulled up to the valet to the when they helped us with our bags as we checked out, the entire staff was extremely nice and helpful. I had to add a couple of days ahead of when I had originally booked my trip, and they had to do a little magic to keep me in the same room for the duration of my stay. I really appreciated the genuine hospitality.

Room Tip: The even numbered rooms face north, and give you a great view of downtown and the Power & Light...
Green Features: Recycling for cans and bottles in the room as well as the hallways.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dustin P- I appreciate you taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. It is great to hear what a top notch experience you had with us and that our staff was friendly and accommodating. We take great pride in being located in the heart of Crown Center and I am happy you were able to enjoy all the wonderful sites and shops in the area. We truly value your business and we look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the future to create another memorable stay.
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff throughout the hotel. Room service was good, except my sons pancakes were a little tough. Halls could stand to be vacuumed. Great views of the city from higher floors.

Family friendly area. We walked to the mall and had a god time exploring with the kids. On the plaza on Friday nights in the summer, there's live music, food trucks and an outdoor movie. This was fun for us and the kids! Walked back to our rooms when it was over and called it a night.

Will stay again.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SteveShalit_GM, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Smur20- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay and that your family was able to take advantage of the great sites and shops located in Crown Center at your convenience. It is our goal to create as uplifting and accommodating an experience as possible and it means a lot you received this experience. We value your business and look forward to welcoming your family back in the future
Thornton le Moor, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Staying in hte Sheraton Kansas city on business and I find myself in a 36th floor room with an incredible view of the city downtown. Unfortunately for them I stayed in an Econolodge last 2 nights, at my own expense not this business portion of the trip, and the contrast is amazing.

Econolodge actulally a surprisingly pleasant and spacious room. Sheraton a somwhat depressing off white colour not dissimilar to colours we painted our rooms 40 years ago during the cold war when dour was the order ofthe day, advantage Econolodge.

Econolodge carpet, unpleasant but functional, Sheraton almost identical, honours even.

Econolodge free breakfast, basic but edible in fairness. Sheraton breakfast singnificant amount extra, advantage Econolodge.

Econolodge small but functional bath, Sheraton similar size bath, Honours Even.

Now the real annoyance, Econolodge Internet access free. Sheraton BASIC internet $9.95 a night, what they call high performance (probably normal for most people) $14.95 a night, honours Econolodge.

Econolodge friendly staff but all do it yourself. Sheraton the staff were pleasant at the desk but I was ignored at the door and there was no offer to help with my luggage, honours even.

Finally Econolodge $70 a night, Sheraton $160 a night, advantage Econolodge.

Im sorry but this is not value for money, fancy lobby's and smart staff do not make up for such poor overall experience where services you would expect to be taken for granted at this price point are not provided.

Room Tip: High number even rooms have a great view North of downtown, dont know what those on the other side s...
Green Features: I see no evidence of environmental pracitses, the usual request to not have new towels every day is missing suggesting there isnt any drive in that direction.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mikesalter- Thank you for taking your feedback on your stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I sincerely apologize if your stay was less than perfect. It is our goal as a Sheraton to make our guests experience as comfortable and welcoming as possible.. I am happy to hear our staff was friendly and that you were able to enjoy the beautiful view from your guest room. We value your business and hope to welcome you back to create a more signature stay in the future.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

I stayed at this hotel along with my family for a night on my way to DC. I picked this hotel because of its location as we wanted to explore whatever Kansas City downtown had to offer. This is an excellent property with a very grand and nicely appointed lobby. The decor is more modern and contemporary complete with water elements (mezzanine floor) and all. The room was not the finest in terms of decor and feel but still nice with one of the most comfortable beds I've slept on lately. In fact, so comfortable that I did not hear my morning alarm and was late to get back on road. Maybe I was was tired from eight hour drive but still I couldn't have asked for a more comfortable bed to rest overnight. Couldn't make it to the terrace pool but it looked very tempting from the nineteenth floor, nonetheless. One of the interesting things about this hotel is the way it is connected to the nearby Crown Center by a glass-enclosed walkway to Crown Center. Self parking is $16 a night at an adjacent parking garage. Due to the location of the hotel we were able to explore everything Crown Center had to offer from our visit to Legoland to good food in the court.

Room Tip: Parking Tip - If you're staying over the weekend, parking is free at the garage on the other sid...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SomeDarren- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am delighted to hear what a top notch stay you had with us and were able to relax in the comfort of your guest room after a long, eventful day. We take great pride in being located in the heart of Crown Center surrounding so many fun sites and shops and I am happy you were able to take advantage of all the area has to offer at your convenience. We value your business and look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.