“Ideal for business traveler”

Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Needham, Massachusetts
“Ideal for business traveler”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This hotel maintains most of the typical characteristics of most city hotels oriented to business travelers. That is not a negative, but simply means that if you're looking for a boutique style ambiance, this isn't it. My room on the Club level was very comfortable and well appointed. Any room that offers Starbucks in the in-room coffee maker ranks high on my favorable list. The staff was very friendly and when I needed a light for my bedside lamp, someone was immediately dispatched. The location is convenient, next to the Crown Center and walking distance to Union Station by enclosed walkway. Their health club was being renovated but they offered the use of the Westin facility nearby. I had breakfast in Spectator coffee shop. My waiter was incredibly friendly and polite as he often checked on me to insure I was well taken care of.

Room Tip: Club Floor room was spacious and bed very comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Ehad2- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am delighted to hear what a comfortable and ccommodating experience you had and that you were able to take advantage of all the great shops and attractions in Crown Center. We truly value your business and it means a lot to our team to hear we were able to help create a top notch stay for you. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Finnish first
Salina, Kansas
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We love being in Crown Center. We had three boys with us.... of course went ice skating which was right across the street. People that are not familiar with the Sheraton that is connected to the Westin in Crown Center, there are over the street walk ways that are awesome! You don't have to cross the street in the cold. You cross in the heated walk ways over the street. The room was nice and clean. The Sheraton pool is under construction but we were able to use to pool at the Westin which we love. The heated, over the street walk ways are also connected to Union Station which is so beautiful. We had a great time at the IMAX, Science City and had a Great meal at the restaurant there. Meals are pretty pricey in Union Station. For your best deal at the Station, you can get half price deals at their Happy Hour specials. You can get a steak for $11.00 at the bar instead of $26.00 in the dining room. Check it out. Not sure what the happy hours are. Only bad thing about Sheraton is the parking price. Self parking is $16.00 for the night...vallet is 21.00.... still a great time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
maxwell263- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. I am thrilled to hear what a great time you had during your birthday and were able to take advantage of all the great attractions in Crown Center. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center. We truly value your business and it means a lot to our team to know we were able to help create a special birthday getaway. We look forward to welcoming your family back in the future.
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We've stayed at the Sheraton in Crown Center several times over the past few years. I have always been a fan. We stayed again this past weekend and opted for Club level rooms as they weren't that much more then the regular rooms and included access to the Club lounge. We are also Starwood rewards members.

Upon Check in we were asked if we had ever stayed here before. I thought this was odd because it surely had our account information on there and we've stayed more times then I can count. When staying in a hotel that you frequent, its nice to be acknowledged for loyalty vs "have you stayed with us before?"

Our room was nice. A large corner room. This Sheraton has always been good at honoring room requests. Free bottled water, in room coffee maker, and a refridgerator is always a plus!

The "club lounge" was disappointing! We used to stay here when Skies was still a restaurant and was looking forward to enjoying the view again. The breakfast choices were extremely limited (eggs, potatoes, and cereal basically). The staff handed us a tip card as soon as we walked in the door-this was off putting to say the least. The espresso machine was a nice bonus though. I wouldn't pay for club level again for this. I think the Sheraton has a gem of a room on their hands with this floor level and waste it using it for this purpose that most guests don't get to experience, and those who do leave disappointed.

Valet has always been a complaint in the past BUT they have really stepped it up. I appreciated having my car brought around after phoning ahead of time. Glad to see this has gotten better.

Overall: I will likely go back to staying at the Westin or using hotwire for my KC hotel bookings. The Sheraton is a nice hotel BUT the price has essentially doubled over the last couple of years, but the service level has not matched that price increase. We may be back if we can get a good deal on a room, but I won't be paying $200+ per night to stay here any time soon!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
TACHance- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I sincerely apologize for the dissapointing experience you had with us in our Club Lounge as well as if our staff did not make your feel warm and welcome. It is our goal to create a relaxing and accommodating experience for our guests. I have shared your comments with the appropriate teams to ensure we are provided top notch service and quality in our club lounge as well as ensure our staff is acknowledging out loyal guests. We truly value your business and loyalty. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to create a signature stay.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This hotel continues to be one of my favorite places to stay in Kansas City. I usually stay here when in KC on business, but would definately stay here for personal travel as well. The hotel is well equipped with everything needed. It is clean and comfy. The hotel gym has a sufficient amount of really nice equipment. The hotel staff are very professional and personable. The bellmen alway remember me from my previous stays and are very accomodating in arranging transportation as needed. The link to the Crown Center is really nice, especially during the winter months. Excellent place to stay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Rachel M- I appreciate you taking your time to share your warm comments on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am happy to hear what a great stay you had with us and you were able to enjoy all the amenities provided to you as our guest, helping to create a relaxing experience for you. We train our staff to make our guests feel as welcome and possible and it means a lot to hear we are able to consistently provide top notch service for you. Sheraton Crown Center values your loyalty and we look forward to continuing to create signature stays for you.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I had one of the worst experiences ever at this hotel when it comes to customer service. The hotel property was clean and very nice; however, I was treated like street trash. The front desk receptionist treated my husband and I like we were not fit to stay at her hotel. She never smiled, she tried to rush the check-in (there was no one behind us), and neglected to tell us anything about the property (such as shuttle options, breakfast, where the elevators were located at, etc.) - luckily we heard another receptionist talking to another guest explaining all of those things. Then when I asked the concierge for dinner recommendations she was more rude than the front desk clerk! She acted like I was wasting her time and then proceeded to say, "Here are some options in downtown that are cheaper." I have never been so insulted. She had no idea what I was willing to pay for dinner.

THE WORST part of the trip was that I had two other rooms booked and PAID FOR IN ADVANCE for a customer of mine. I checked in at 2pm and asked if those two rooms were ready, and the receptionist said yes. When my customer arrived at 6pm, they were told the hotel was overbooked and the Sheraton had moved their reservation to a hotel across the street. I had PREPAID for those rooms over 30 days prior - plus I was told they were ready for check-in for whenever my customer arrived. So once we got my customer moved to the other hotel, we were late for our evening event. It was a nightmare.
I will NEVER stay at this property, nor any other Sheraton after the complete lack of class and service I experienced.

If you are young, show up in a Chevy SUV, and are wearing jeans - don't expect service. Make sure to be wearing a sport coat, drive a Mercedes, and look like you're 40 - maybe they'll treat you decent.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor at the end of the hallway, yet were woken up multiple times from the door...
1 Thank Brittany J
Brittany J- Thank you for taking your time to share your comments and concerns regarding your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. It is my most sincere apology that you stay was less than perfect due the service you received from our team. We train our staff to make our guests feel as warm and welcome as possible. I have shared your comments with the appropriate teams to further investigate where our team fell short and ensure this matter is addressed immediately. We truly value your business and would love the opportunity to have you back to create a top notch, positive experience for you. When you have a moment please contact our Front Office Manager, Cory Crook at cory.crook@sheraton.com to further discuss your experience. Thank you for sharing your comments, we take these matters very seriously.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Twice now I have traveled to KC for business, and have stayed at the Sheraton at Crown Center. Their staff is very friendly and professional. The rooms were clean, and nicely appointed. With several more trips to KC planned for this year, I'll make this my go to home away from home.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Todd L- I appreciate you taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am thrilled to hear our staff makes your feel warm and welcome each and every time you stay with us! It is our goal to ensure your stay is as comfortable and accommodating as possible. We truly value your loyalty to Sheraton and look forward to continuing to create top notch, memorable stays for you in the future.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I love this hotel! One of the best front staff I have ever encountered and Kenneth is the best! The hotel is beautiful, my room is always clean and comfortable and room service has always been quick and friendly. I really couldn't ask for anything more!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Lisa P- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. I am delighted to hear what a top notch experience you had with us and that our staff made you feel warm and welcome, leaving a lasting impression on your stay. It is our goal as a Sheraton to go above and beyond to create a memorable experience for our guests and I am so happy to know you received this experience. We value your business and look forward to creating many more signature stays for you in the future.