“Nicely-updated hotel...just wait for the pool”

Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed here on business. Hotel undergoing some updates, but most public areas and rooms are complete. Can't say anything about standard rooms as I stayed in an Executive Suite, which was really big and nice, with a separate living room with two couches, second TV, etc. Heat in bedroom didn't work so well, but they came up at midnight to fix it and it worked fairly well after that. Public computer next to coffee bar for printing out boarding passes for all airlines was great.

Main areas, including lobby and second floor lounging/work area are really, really nice. Lobby has tons of couches spread all over for groups to sit together, and mezzanine level has a number of big comfy chairs in front of work tables, all with power outlets for laptops...just very nicely laid out. For events, the "room" elevators don't stop on the "Ballroom" level, so you have to get off at the mezzanine level and walk across to the meeting rooms side and take either the elevator or escalator up one flight to the ballrooms...kind of a pain in the butt.

Only complaint about the nice lobby area is: Bar shuts down well before 11pm! We could have all used another drink, and the hotel could have made so much more money if the bar was open till at least 11 or 12. And it's not a FULL bar either; they have some wines and beers, and a few basic scotches...but they had no lime juice to make a vodka gimlet. Pool area was shut down because of construction, so we took the indoor LINK skywalk over to the Westin and used their pool. I was told our keycard was supposed to work over there, but it didn't...so we waited a minute till someone opened the door and then went in...their hot tub is indoors and really great!

All in all, a very nice, friendly, clean hotel for business, and probably more than you'd expect from a Sheraton.

Room Tip: Executive Rooms are nice and big!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

TheGoul- I appreciate you taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us at Sheraton Crown Center. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed yoru overall stay and were pleased with our new lobby renovations. I do apologize for the inconvenience of our Spectator's Restaurant undergoing construction. We are very excited about the new improvements to come at the beginning of 2014! I look forward to hearing what you think of our new Spectator's restaurant. It is our goal as a Sheraton to create as warm and welcoming an experience as possible and knowing our team was to able to create this overall top notch experience for you means a lot. We value your business and cannot wait to have you back in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,714)

Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was the third time I stayed at this property. The first two were awesome and when it was warm. This time it maintained the awesome experience and I had a free night to explore the area. It was in the mid 20's outside and I was looking for something to do. I talked to some of the staff and they suggested walking through the Crown Center and heading over to Union Station. At first I was put off by this, but then they explained the Links which are a set of enclosed walkways that connects the hotel to the Crown Center, the Weston, and Union Station. I went from place to place all over a portion of KC and never went outside. It was a perfect way to spend a night exploring the city when I didn't really want to go out in the cold. Also, the previous night, I took the complimentary shuttle to the Power and Light area to hang out with some friends and had a great time.

Room Tip: Great views from almost every room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Cory W- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us and that our staff made you feel warm and welcome, ensuring you had everything you needed for a top notch, memorable stay. I am plaesed to hear you were able to indulge in all the great shops and restaurants in Crown Center, accessing out link covered walkway at your convenience to keep you dry and warm. We truly value your loyalty to Sheraton and cannot wait to welcome you back to the family in the future. Thank you again for sharing your comments.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I've previously stayed at and reviewed this property already when I booked a traditional king there last year, but this time around, for a fun relaxing weekend with friends, I decided to book a hospitality suite as what this review will primarily focus on.. Just like before, the lobby was beautiful and clean with a variety of amenities and furnishings offered for guests to relax in, the service couldn't have been more excellent and top notch from Patrick and Patrick at the front desk, to Daniel the server at the Terrace restaurant, to the servers and attendants in the club lounge to the housekeeping staff. All of the staff in person were professional, courteous, hospitable, informative, and well-composed and friendly. Check-in was quick and easy and I was surprised and happy to see that my suite and the complimentary double room (I gave to my friend's family) was ready and available for early check-in. Luckily and most generously, both rooms were located across from each other at west end of the 35th floor. On that note, both rooms had great views. Both sides being spectacular whether from the Crown Center area or Downtown. Both rooms were very clean and spacious, of course, the Hospitality suite being the most. Throughout the afternoon and night, along with two additional guests from my friend's extended family, we took advantage of every amenity and furnishing offered in the suite. From relaxing in front of the t.v. on the couch and lounge chairs to the D' Bronxpizza meal and scrabble game on the six person table, my friend's son and cousin being able to lightly run around in the spacious room, use of the wet bar, and storage of drinks in the refrigerator, we all had a blast throughout the day and night spent in it. As usual, the sleeper bedding was very comfortable and easy to have a good night's sleep in. My friend's wife could even attest to the comfort of the bed with a use in another way. After running around all day and having a nagging foot problem bugging her then, when she arrived to the hotel later in the early night period, she was able to rest it easily then. For me, it was a surprise to find out that the murphy king bed was as comfortable as a regular traditional king bed. The club lounge also provided incredible,breathtaking, endless 360 views of north and south kansas city. The layout, ambience, furnishings, and ambience was also nice. This leads me into the last subject.. unfortunately, the negative aspects of the hotel or my stay. Although they didn't have a big impact upon anything, I just wanted to address them....
1.The variety of food Hors D'oeurves and breakfast offerings in the club lounge were among a good variety except that I noticed that anything that contained meat wasn't served/ offered. Nothing during the snack or the breakfast service hours. I realize that every Sheraton club lounge service is different, but this was a surprise to me after two other Sheraton properties I previously stayed at served some offerings with meat. I also wondered if the club lounge could/ should have been a tad bigger. There weren't too many people eating in there when I was there, but if the hotel as a lot of guest to accommodate, and maybe even the lounge, it might work better. I was surprised at its size and then seeing that there was also A LOT of unused space left over on the other side of the level.
2. The room had a tendency to be cold even if the heat was increased on both thermostats on the column in the room. It was dominantly cool in it.
3.I know that the maintenance or construction workers with the Hyatt were mainly responsible for this in their previous update of the space, but the hanging lamp light above the six person table has a questionable support flaw. It looked like it was literally and figuratively hanging by a thread (wire) with ugly sloppy coiled phone cord like wire wrapped around it.
4. The electrical box cover behind the murphy bed was missing a screw and askew.
5. Even though I was there for leisure purposes and didn't need to have my head in my phone or a laptop and pay for wifi, business travelers who need to work on their computers in the comfort of their room for a couple days may need to take heed to either have to pay for the wifi fee, book a club room with free wifi, or work in the lobby where free wifi is provided. Anyone else who vacations there for leisure purposes and doesn't need to frequently use internet, I highly recommend this hotel! It will be one that I will always return to!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and a room not by the elevators
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Max B- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your warm comments on your stay with us at Sheraton Crown Center. I am so happy to hear what an exceptional experience you had with us and that all the staff you encountered went above and beyond to create a welcoming, accommodating stay for you! It truly is our goal as a Sheraton to ensure our guests experience is as comfortable and convenient as possible and it is great you were able to have rooms by each other on a high floor to enjoy the beautiful view of downtown Kansas City. We are very fortunate to have you as a loyal guest and we cannot wait to welcome you back to the Sheraton family in the future to create many more signature stays.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Perfect location in the heart of downtown, "The Link" connects you to crown center and hallmark, you don't have to step outside in chilly weather (i was visiting with two toddlers it was perfect for us). Good room service and clean rooms. I would really appreciate if i had a microwave in my room, staying at 27th floor it was quite tiring to go to mezzanine level to warm anything,most of the times my babies had cold milk just because i was too lazy to go all the way down. Though the staff was kind enough to give us two cribs.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Sadaflmran- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your stay with us at Sheraton Crown Center. I am pleased to hear what a great stay you had with us and were able to take advantage of our link covered walkway to conveniently visit all the great shops and restaurants in Crown Center. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center with so many fun and entertaining things going on. We value your business and look forward to having you back as our guest in the future to create another warm and welcoming stay.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed here just one night, but was highly impressed. The loby is being renovated, but was not an issue. The front desk staff is very polite and professional. I had a room on the "14th" floor (it was between 12 and 15, so really the 13th floor) which had a great view. I had gotten in late and had to wake up early and called for a 5am wakeup call. The front desk clerk offered to set up another 15 minutes later. The room had a great selection of in room coffee. The bed was large and comfortable. The shower was great and had plenty of room with wall mounted dispensers for soap, shampoo, and conditioneer. My only regret is that I was there for such a short time.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

joe_chemo- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff made you feel warm and welcome from the moment you arrived, ensuring you had everything you needed for a comfortable and relaxing stay. It is our goal as a Sheraton to create a memorable experience for our guests and I am so happy to know your stay was top notch. I look forward to having you back as our guest in the future!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

The valet out front told me it was $16 to park my car in the garage and said it included free wi-fi. When I called the front desk because I didn't have wi-fi in my room, she informed me they have no such deal and that the valets don't even work for the hotel and had no right to say that. Even when I pressed her she didn't apologize or offer to carry through on what he had promised; she was rude about it. You have to go in the lobby to have wi-fi; otherwise it's $10 per day. So between parking and wi-fi, budget an extra $16/day for this room. I had an interior shared door with the room next door, which I always hate, and I could hear that gentleman talking on the phone. The pipes were super loud when my neighbor showered, so much so that it woke me up. The lobby is comfortable to work in if you don't mind having to drag your stuff downstairs. I had a great view from the 30th floor. The beds are comfy, room is clean and nicely furnished/decorated. The shower head gave a miserable low amount of water pressure, which reminded me of that old Seinfeld episode where their hair was flat because of low water pressure.

1  Thank Jenny S
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Jenny S- I appreciate you sharing your feedback on your stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I sincerely apologize for the frustrations you encountered during you stay with us. It is our goal as a Sheraton to make our guests feel warm and welcome. I have shared your comments regarding the service your received with the appropriate teams to ensure our staff is offering the friendlist and accommodating service possible. I am pleased to hear you were able to relax in the comfort of your guest room enjoying the beautiful view of Kansas City outside your window. We truly value your business and would love the opportunity to serve you as our guest again to create a top notch experience.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed at this location for a convention and were very satisfied! The hotel staff was very accommodating, food was very good, rooms clean and bed very comfortable. The location was great for a short walk to the Crown Center. Elevators were quick and the hotel was very easy to navigate.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Lynne W- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your stay with us at Sheraton Crown Center. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was friendly and accommodating ensurin gyou had everything you needed for a comfortable and relaxing stay. We are veyr fortunate to be centrally located in Crown Center with so many fun sites and restaurants and I am happy the area came at such a convenience for you, keeping you well entertained. We value your business and look forward to creating many more top notch stays for you in the future.