“Weekend GET-A-WAY”

Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We decided to take a weekend trip to Kansas City. Being that this was our 1st time in Kansas City we had no clue as to what hotels were the best. After several hours on the computer looking at the area & reading reviews we chose this hotel. I was expressed the hotel & the location is great.

• Stayed: October 2011
KyMoody, Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Thank you for your recent review, it was a pleasure to read your comments on your stay with us at Hyatt Regency Crown Center. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best wishes, Maurizio Orlando

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center

Reviewed October 13, 2011

Hadn't stayed at the Hyatt in KC for a few years and was glad to see that it still had the qualities I love for a business stay: clean, comfortable rooms and nice staff who help you with any issues or needs.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing the great feedback from your stay with us at Hyatt Regency Crown Center. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time in Kansas City , but most importantly it is wonderful to hear how well our team looked after you during your stay. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Kansas City. Best wishes, Maurizio Orlando

Reviewed October 10, 2011

I visited the hotel this past weekend with my grandparents, for the big Barbershopper's convention. They are in their 80's and were very involved with and excited about the convention, and I didn't want to take any of the wind out of their sails by calling attention to the overall quality of the room and the whole experience while we were there, but I did want to be sure to share this with other people who might consider staying there. Also, I'm normally NOT even a complainer, but I thought the hotel themselves would like to know about this. I tried to look for local contact info on their website, but no dice.

Ok, here we go:

Approaching the room, I noticed the carpet in the hallway looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in some time. There were little bits of paper strewn around, and a wine glass directly outside the door on the floor of the room we were assigned to.

Once we got inside the room:

Dried lady bug/asian beetles in one of the beds. I grabbed 'em before Grandma saw them.
Blood stain (or something like it) on the white coverlet under the decorated duvet.
2 different kinds of stains on the carpet, in small droplets. Some of the reddish substance that looked like blood, the other was dark, looked like burns.
The bedroom walls had some kind of stains on them, up high by the ceiling.
All chrome surfaces (lamps and such) were oily and fingerprinted.
The TV was really small for the space it occupied, and looked to be at least 10 years old.
The remote was hit and miss... sometimes it worked, sometimes I'd have to get up to change the channel or volume.
One of the closet doors had cracked glass toward one of the bottom panels. It did NOT look like a "cool cracked glass effect" and didn't match the rest of the door.

I spotted ALL of this within just a couple minutes of being in the room. I even took a photo with my phone of the glass closet door, just in case it might be an issue later. Then, I also snapped a photo of the dead bug and the blood stain on the coverlet, just for good measure. I was irritated, but let it go at the time.

The next day, I spent a little time in the bathroom getting cleaned up, and also discovered:

The cracked and peeling ceiling in the bathroom
The sluggish drain in the shower.
The inadequate amount of towel hangers for the bathroom.
The ridiculously poor water pressure in the shower.
The stained, old looking towels. It looked like blood stains had been washed out (poorly) of one of the washrags and towels.

I've done my share of travelling, and this is the first time I've ever been annoyed enough to write a bad review... but I've written many good ones. For the money, the room should have been of comparable quality. I've been in low-budget $39/a night hotels that seemed cleaner and had better attention to detail. Had I been on my own, I would have taken this up with management right then- but I didn't want to embarrass my grandparents.

Also, because I don't believe in being all negative, I DID like the view, the room art and color schemes, the decor in the common areas, and the friendly staff. The beds were comfortable. The sports bar on site had the BEST french fries I've ever had in my life! I wished I'd ordered my own rather than mooch off Grandma's. ;) My main-course salad I ordered had limp greens and a tiny portion- at the most, 3-4 oz.-- of tasteless grilled chicken) on it... for $12. Yikes.

All in all? Disappointing... especially when you consider the pricing and the wasted potential. It could really be a nice place.

Room Tip: Read other people's reviews and choose a hotel with lots of good reviews to their credit!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Chelle G
KyMoody, Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Dear Chelle G , Thank you for posting your comment on Tripadvisor. Please know that we sincerely value your feedback and that we truly appreciate you for your for business. We strive to provide you with authentic hospitality and having said that, I hope you will contact one of our Manangers to discuss some of the issues you had during your stay. Please, contact us at 816/398-4750. Thank you.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Valet Parking, Front Desk, Bellman/Concierge, all very prompt and courteous. Room and Bed very comfortable. Housekeeping sparkling. SKIES restaurant/cocktail lounge excellent views, nice piano player, and excellent cocktails very moderately priced in the $6-8 range. In house restaurants excellent and convenient or walk the link to Crown Center for even more restaurant and many shopping choices. Be prepared to drive to some of the other local attractions/neighborhoods which would be true no matter where you stayed in the city. Hyatt Crown Center about as convenient and centrally located as possible. Great value-first class experience.

Room Tip: City Facing Views are best. Front desk clerk offered/suggested high floor room close to elevator wit...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
KyMoody, Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. I am excited that you found our property to be a great place to stay. We have a fabulous location and a great staff that offers fantastic service. I am pleased that you enjoyed SKIES and our In Room Dininig service. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed October 2, 2011

The hotel itself is a very large full service hotel. The staff (front desk, valet, restaurants, bellman) is very courteous and accommodating. The rooms are typical for this type of property. We were attending a conference that was held in the same hotel with sessions and exhibits within the hotel. It was easy to navigate the hotel. Convenient and appropriate meeting rooms and services. A few cons: The business center required a $65 deposit prior to using any services; the catered events were inconsistent--some good and some so-so. The staff were always polite and helpful. Would stay here again for events at this venue. Good, but not excellent.

• Stayed: September 2011

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your Kansas City trip. We're thrilled you enjoyed our rooms. It's great to hear that our staff were very helpful during your stay. Your recommendation is our highest compliment. Thank you !

Reviewed October 1, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while attending a conference. Registration staff extremely courteous and friendly. Rooms are nice, clean--good beds. Was on the 24th floor so had a beautiful view. Only complaint is that this hotel uses the hot water/cold water heating methods of cooling and heating and apparently per the desk clerk, they had already switched to the winter mode with the hot water and the rooms just would not cool off. The weather wasn't cold and not really cool yet so the a/c was still needed. I cranked my thermostat down to 57 every night and was still kicking off covers trying to cool off. This is apparently a problem throughout the hotel as several of my coworkers complained about it as well. No coffee pots in the rooms but they do have a microwave. There is a Starbucks downstairs in the lobby however. Meeting rooms were nice and well accommodated. Restaurants are nearby and you can easily walk to them without much effort or concern about safety (I was a female traveling alone). If you fly into Kansas City, there is a super shuttle that will bring you to the hotel round trip for $31 which is much less than taking a cab which will run you about $58 one way. Some really good eating places nearby--only ate one meal at the hotel in the Terrace Restaurant--a lunch soup and sandwich but it was good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Have stayed at this hotel 3 times. Nice hotel staff at the front desk. Conferences have been my reason for coming to this hotel. It is located 10 minutes walking distance to the Union Station and local BBQ-Jack Stacks. Having Crown Center 'link' walk way is convenient for food and shopping. Safe to walk during the day. Large clean room and bathroom. 35th floor view is amazing! Must try the restaurant on the top.

Room Tip: Corner room is super large and roomy.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
KyMoody, Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2011

Thank you for your loyalty to Hyatt Regency Crown Center. We are so delighted you enjoy the Crown Center Complex and the attractions and restaurants nearby. On your next visit we look forward to have you as our guest in the Skies restaurant. It has a great view of Kansas City and the food is delicious.