“Great place to stay, super quiet!”

Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center
Ranked #10 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great place to stay, super quiet!”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We stayed here this past weekend while in town for a wedding. Our stay was very enjoyable and it included a free breakfast each morning.

Room: Very clean and neat. We had a fridge in the room so we could keep some diet cokes and bottled water cold, which was a nice bonus. Bathroom was great because it was divided into two: one part containing the shower and toilet and the second part (separated by a door) which had the vanity and sink, and then there was a door separating all of this from the bedroom. This was a great setup for two people trying to get ready at once. We requested a "quiet" room and were truly granted this request. Our room was at the end of the hallway and it was nice and quiet.

Bed: We had a king-size bed which was quite comfortable. The bed is definitely soft, but this didn't bother us. Others in our family said it was too soft, but that's really a matter of preference. The pillows were a bit oddly sized, not a standard, but smaller than that. They seemed to feather pillows which we enjoyed.

Breakfast: On Saturday and Sunday morning the breakfast really good. We opted for the breakfast brunch and it consisted of oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bacon, scrambled eggs with spinach, sausages, pancakes and LOTS of different fruits and pastries. Also, there was a huge assortment of cereals and all types of milk, including soy. We were really impressed with the quality of the food. Service was also good.

Overall: I'd DEFINITELY stay here in the future!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
KyMoody, Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
On behalf of the staff and management of Hyatt Regency Crown Center, it is with sincere pleasure that we thank you for the wonderful compliments you gave us. We have passed along your positive comments to our Food and Beverage Department and also to the Front Desk. We sincerely hope that you will return, as it will be a privilege to have you as our guest again. Thank you!

Maurizio Orlando
Hotel Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Finnish first
Woodbury, MN
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I recently stayed here while attending a conference at the hotel. My experience at this hotel was quite good. I did not have a choice on where to stay, so I had not bothered to read any of the Trip Advisor reviews before I went. I am surprised at some of the reviewers comments. The hotel was built in the 80's, but I did not find the furnishings or rooms showing their age. The rooms and hallways were clean and quiet.

I agree that it is a disappointment that there is no free Wi-Fi in the rooms, but there is free Wi-Fi on the mezzanine level and in the lobby. One of my complaints at big hotels is usually the elevators and their lack of efficiency. However, the elevators at this hotel were very fast and we never had to wait long for one to arrive.

If you prefer not to spend $15+ on the breakfast buffet at the hotel, both Panera Bread and Einstein Brothers bagels are within walking distance. The Panera is on the lower level of the Link between the hotel and Crown Center. Einstein Bros. is in Crown Center.

If you are traveling with small children, do not miss Fritz's restaurant in the food court in Crown Center. Your food is delivered to your table via a train that runs around the ceiling of the restaurant. The food was cheap and kids will love it!

While at the Hyatt, we ate at Spectators on the mezzanine level. Be advised the menu is very limited here. I expected a few more options, but it is mainly appetizers and just a few entrees. Still the prices were reasonable and the service was fast.

If you are looking for a good BBQ place within walking distance, try Jack Stack. It is behind Union Station. It will also give you an excuse to walk through the beautifully renovated Union Station! Be prepared to wait for a table on the weekend, but once seated, our food came to the table very fast!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
KyMoody, Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay at Hyatt Regency Crown Center. We did just have our guestrooms renovated, so we are glad that you enjoyed the room accommodations. I am so pleased you enjoyed the free Wi-Fi in the lobby and the speed of our elevators. I will pass along your comments to the Chef regarding the limited menu in Spectators. However if you are traveling with young children, Hyatt also operates Crayola Cafe conveniently located in the Crown Center Shops connected via enclosed walkway. Again, thank you for your comments and come stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Kansas City.
Culloden, West Virginia
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I accompanied my wife to a conference she attended at the hotel. It is utterly beautiful, with one of the most impressive lobbies and mezzanines I have ever seen. We stayed on the 22nd floor and cold see the entire downtown area from our room window. The room itself was nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable. Getting to area attractions was easy as the hotel is conveniently connected (by skywalk) to one of the main entertainment/shopping areas in the city.

On the downside, the hotel lacks the little things that one might find at even a far less expensive hotel. Not only is there no free wifi (a common gripe I have with higher priced hotels) but they actually block you from numerous free signals so that you'll pay the $10 a day for their service. There were about 5 pillows on the bed, but all the same type (other hotels have a selection to fit your preference.) The TV is a small CRT (non-HD) tv. There is no in-room coffee maker (I assume to encourage you to go downstairs and pay $2.50 at the hotel Starbucks). The shower head is low flow with little pressure. These complaints may sound like nit-picking but at a suggested room rate (according to the door) of $250 to $450 a night, I would expect more attention to the little details. I've stayed at a few hotels in this price range before and all had small touches that surprised and pleased the guest. There were none of those here.

I enjoyed my stay, but would not recommend this hotel for the prices listed.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 25, 2011

I joined my husband for a weekend stay, who was attending a business conference at the Hyatt Regency in mid-January. The first night, our fan/air conditioner unit was leaking water, which dripped on the floor continuously, soaking the carpet. We called the hospitality desk, and they upgraded us to a king suite for our trouble.
Both rooms we stayed at had a wonderful city views, clean comfortable beds, and spotless housekeeping. The down side was the water leak. Also, our small refrigerator in our first room was quite noisy when it was running. The elevators can be a little tricky – only certain ones go to Skies restaurant, which is the revolving restaurant at the top of the building. Overall though, we had a great time. The workout facilities were well stocked and had newer, top-of-the-line equipment. The steam sauna was a wonderful way to top off your workout. The overall feel of the hotel was upscale and classy. I really enjoyed staying there, their employees went out of their way to ensure we were satisfied and welcomed.

kansas city MO
Reviewed January 23, 2011

one night stay at the Hyatt was a great nights stay. The price, the location, the service and the comfortability was excellent.The check in was quick,and my 2 request during check in were handled without any hassle. The bed and pillows were above my standards . Room service was fast and friendly. The room was very quiet. The shuttle service was also great.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Had I paid more than 100n I would have been disappointed. The heat/ac in room would not regulate. The health club was out of service, and that was never noted on the Hyatt web site (pre-reservation)

At 8am on the final day of our stay a very rude "maid" ( male) banged on our door. He told me if I didn't want to be bothered at 8am I should have hung the do not disturb sign on the door. Now that's real 4 star service!!!! To the hotel's credit they did comp 1/2 of this night, to placate for the rude behavior. I started staying here in the 80's, and it was a gem back then, not now. I'm a diamond with Hilton and rarely stay at Hyatt, and must say the Hilton President downtown is a much better hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Wayfarer58
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed December 27, 2010

Arrived in Kansas City on Dec. 20th (checked out Dec. 22nd). Took public transit (bus, $3 for an all day pass! or $1.50 per ride) to the Crown Center. The bus stop for the Crown Center was right by the Link entrance that led to the Hyatt. Very easy to get to the hotel from the bus stop.

You walk into the second floor of the hotel from the Link. The first floor has the concierge/front desk. Second floor has many restaurants and meeting rooms. I did not utilize any of the restaurants on that floor or the meeting rooms, but it all looked very nice and clean. The hotel was decorated beautifully for Christmas.

Check-in was quick and easy! I noted that I could have checked in online before I had even arrived in Kansas City, or I could have checked in electronically instead of with an actual person. But I enjoy the face-to-face. However, many people might appreciate the computerized check-ins. Especially if they want to check in ahead of schedule. They list their check-in time as 3pm, but even during the Christmas week, they said there were plenty of rooms available to check-in to at 10:30am! My friend and I were elated! We stayed on the 23rd floor and requested a quiet room far from the elevator. We were close to the ice machine/vending machines, but never heard any noise in the hall or from the ice/vending. It was great! We didn't have the best view from our window (we were facing away from the Crown Center), but it was still a great room and a good view of KC. We had two double beds, which was great for the two of us. We even had a mini-fridge in the room, which we did not anticipate but were very happy about. There was ample room for the two of us to get ready in the morning.

I was a tad dissapointed in the concierge staff during the day. It seemed that many of them did not know where to recommend us and had no information on River Market/City Market at all. We were hoping to stop by the Antique Mall that was down there, but no one could direct us. At night, there was an excellent manager on staff who directed us to JackStack BBQ (past Union Station) and gave us easy directions on how to walk there. It was excellent food and we were glad to be steered in the right direction!

We did notice a few stains on the carpet, and toothpaste stuck above the bathroom door. But neither of these things bothered us a whole lot. It is something the hotel can improve upon, but their existence did not hinder our stay. We still left a tip for the maid service at the end. Everything else in the room was great. The pillows are down, as a warning to those who do not like down pillows. I thought about requesting a pillow without down, but found that sleeping on two down pillows was quite comfortable enough. Very comfy beds! Slept very well! Good lighting, good closet space, plenty of towels and bathroom toilettries (they even provide toothpaste if you need it!). Plenty of outlets. I was dissapointed that their internet cost money and that I had to have a T-Mobile HotSpot account to use it. I did not use the internet while I was there as a result. Everything else was great!

My friend and I got this hotel for around $80/night. This rate was their pre-paid rate, and was cheaper than the AAA rate! Pre-paid meant that we paid in full before arriving and that we could not ask for a refund. I would recommend this to anyone who has the means to do so and knows they will be going to KC at least 21 days in advance (and will not cancel the trip). It is the cheapest way to go. I highly recommend this hotel! It is great, has so many wonderful ammenities (Skies, their rotating rooftop bar/restaurant, was awesome! We went for the views and for dessert. Get the Sky High Pie and share it with 1-2 other people, it's that big and that delicious.). You won't be dissapointed with the Hyatt Regency Crown Center! Friendly staff, good service, great location, great night's rest, and the price could not be beat! (Really, the price could not be beat. I didn't find any hotel this nice, this close to any major city center (Crown Center, Country Club Plaza, River Market) for this price except the Best Western Seville, near CCP, and that had bad reviews about the area it was located. Everything else was way more expensive.)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends