“Smell over powering”

Quality Inn Kansas City I-435N Near Sports Complex
Ranked #83 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for almost a week due to employment changes. Breakfast was very good each morning. The rooms were clean but bathrooms needed some help. Had some mold in some areas. Was nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room. The smells in the hall ways is what got to me. Don't know if when we stayed there was a dog show in town but the smell of wet dog over powered the halls on the first floor. The second floor was over powered by illegal drugs. As someone else told me skunk weed. The neighborhood is more like a trucking industrial area. Located next to I-435 traffic was quiet noisy. As well as the train yard on the other side. Most of the staff was friendly and helpful until the night staff came in then not so much.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank jennhornak
qualityinnkansascity, Webmaster at Quality Inn Kansas City I-435N Near Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear guest,

Thanks for staying a week with us and for noting our friendly staff. We take pride in the quality of our people. Since your stay we have taken a number of actions to improve the property, and I hope you will be able to visit us again and see how we’ve changed. Our goal is to provide service to every customer that exceeds expectations, and it seems the quality of our property sometimes missed the mark during your stay. For that we apologize.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have read a number of positive and negative reviews, and perhaps case-by-case their stays were mixed but I must say that overall it is a nice place. It is definitely out-of-the-way and on a dead end street, and the hotel is older but the staff is friendly and my room was clean. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel you will pay a 5 star price. I think the value to price ratio is quite fair here. Deserves a three star.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was booked at this location and once I found it, (it is very out of the way on a dead end street) I was a bit worried just looking at the property. At first I was convinced it was an old apartment complex that was converted into a hotel but was told that was wrong.

The lobby is clean and the front desk staff were friendly. I was given a King bed room and was pleasantly surprised and how large the room was. For me the essentials, the bed was conformable, the room was quite, the Heating/AC worked perfectly, felt safe in and around the hotel and the free WiFi was very speedy, all helped give me a good impression of this property. The morning breakfast was a completely shock as there was hot and fresh biscuits and gravy, eggs, sausages, along with more basically Continental foods, bagels, cereal etc.

Just a few minor negatives, the room wasn't as spotless as it could have been but nothing that was worthy of complaint. The shower water pressure was a tad low and also for some strange reason I found the bathtub surface to be very slippery. I held on to the railing the entire shower.

There is a pool and Jacuzzi in the center of the complex but I believe it was closed for the winter.

They even have a shuttle which will take you almost anywhere you want to go for a VERY small fee, much less than a taxi.

The hotel rate was amazingly good and worth the value.

While by no means a 4-Star hotel I would recommend this place if you're on a budget but still want a nice, comfortable place to stay, near the freeway and fast food restaurants. I will stay here again if I find myself in Kansas City.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ReallyRick
CH2171, General Manager at Quality Inn Kansas City I-435N Near Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you so much for seeing our place as we do.. While it clearly isn't a 4star hotel.. we try our very best to make it a comfortable and pleasant place to stay...
As for the room not being as clean as you would have liked... I really apologize for that, and we are working on getting a different skid resistant placed in our tubs...
It is a lot of work to keep a place going..as large as this.. but with the helpful comments, it makes it easier to make sure we are applying our efforts in making Country Hearth as safe and clean for our guests as possible.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Well unexpectedly my company placed me and my wife in a hotel due to health issues. And upset at the conditions of my stay I was received with kindness and happy faces at this Hotel, everything from the moment I stepped foot in to the lobby was nothing but outstanding service. Well that also changed my overall mood and decided to make the best of it; room was more then adequate for our stay breakfast in the morning was delicious and staff again was most kind and attentive to are needs. I truly am big on customer service so I decided to express my feeling towards this wonderful stay at this Hotel and would truly recommend this to anyone wanting this service specially for the price. A special thanks to Christy Woods General Manager for and excellent experience there and for your attentive staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review... I do hope we see you back.. and hopefully under different circumstances... very fortunate we are to have guests like yourself!!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Rooms have dust and dirt in the air. The rooms are stuffy, confined and way too small for the beds and aren't any bigger if you pay for an extra bed. Our stay was horrible and I wish I had gone somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Avidadventure

Dear guest,

Thanks for your comments. A lot has changed at this Kansas City, MO motel since your stay with us. We have refreshed, cleaned and improved the property in many ways and have new housekeeping staff that’s better-trained than ever. You’ll find a completely different experience if you stay with us again. We’re sorry we missed the mark during your stay. All we can do is apologize and promise that the issues you point out have been addressed.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We spent a weekend in KC and chose this hotel primarily on the price. We found a good rate and didn't need to be close to anything. The place isn't really anything fancy but it's not bad either. The beds we comfy and the free hot breakfast was a pleasant surprise. Sure the place could use some updating but there was nothing wrong with the place. Also had a nice pool, although we didn't have a chance to swim. Wish we did since the temperature was near 100 degrees while we were there.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Spot76
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here overnight after attending a Royals game. This hotel was a good value for the price paid. It could stand a little updating in the rooms (carpet, bathroom) but my room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I got to enjoy a dip in the pool after a long day at the office. The staff was amazing. My check in was quick and hassle free and so was check out. I was encouraged to try the breakfast buffet before leaving for the office and I'm glad I did. They had the standard continental fare but also had hot items. Biscuits and gravy, eggs, hash browns, and sausage. It indeed helped start my day the right way. I will return again for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Denise D
CH2171, General Manager at Quality Inn Kansas City I-435N Near Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

It is so nice to hear that you had a good stay here... and we definitely hope to see you back!!!
we are looking into updating, and appreciate all your feedback