“Avoid with a passion!”

Ranked #88 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Hooterville
“Avoid with a passion!”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

The location was good, the breakfast was normal, the price was average. The room smelled of must and mold, and the bathroom smelled of urine! I went back to the front desk numerous times before they agreed to move us to another room. They first gave me Febreeze to spray in the room to rid it of the odor. That did not help. I returned and they gave me "industrial" Spic & Span to spray. It worked for about an hour. The smell returned as strong as ever. It was no smell that you would become accustomed to.

We needed a room with a walk-in level, and instead of offering another one at any point of my trips to seek a remedy for the odors, they kept giving me stuff to spray. The room was clean looking, although the flies were so numerous you couldn't swat all of them! They finally agreed to transfer us to another room, but said they had no remaining non-smoking rooms on a walk-in level, but they did have a smoking room available. I agreed to it, and yes, it did smell like a smoking room - but that was so much better than the other one!

We dared not complain about the smoke smell, which the Febreeze may have worked in eliminating. I simply don't know how any motel could expect to rent a room which smelled like either of these!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank lightingal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
NYC
Reviewed August 25, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for one night and both got bitten by bed bugs! I woke up the next morning with 17 bites. Despite all of our precautions, we ended up bringing some of the bugs home in our suitcases and now we're dealing with it in our apartment. DO NOT STAY THERE!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank manders472

Travelers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

MN
Reviewed August 23, 2009

This hotel was the most disgusting place I have ever seen! Our room smelled terrible! The table had dried nail polish all over it and the chairs had tons of brown and black stains on the red upholstry. The sink area was infested with ants. The walls were filthy and the bathroom walls had brown streaks running down them in places. The towels were all stained. The shower faucet was almost falling off the wall and the tub was disgusting and full of mold. Another couple traveling with us stayed next door and the wall in their room behind their bed actually had mold growing on it. Above their shower the ceiling was caving in and full of mold. I could go on and on about how nasty these rooms were! The pool area was small but ok, we hung out there as much as possible because we couldn't stand to be in the room! We needed a change of sheets one night and the staff refused to bring them to the room. I had to take the dirty sheets down to the office myself and get clean ones and make the bed myself. Don't get excited about the free breakfast either, At breakfast there was no coffee, no napkins, and no syrup. When the staff was asked to replenish these things we were very rudely told that they were all out. We did not expect a fancy hotel, but I do expect it to be clean and the staff should be courteous. Based on this experience I will never stay in a Days Inn again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank COURTNEY_MN
Omaha, Ne
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I have never stayed in such a dirty run down hotel in my life. I didnt want to take my shoes off and was afraid to sleep in the bed. The room made our skin crawl. NEVER stay at this motel, unless you like the sleezy run down type.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lakergirl3000
Lincoln NE
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We reserved a room at this Days Inn for 2 nights for our vacation to Kansas City to go to a ball game and Worlds of Fun. We wanted to be near Worlds of Fun and I think this is how they get people to pay higher prices. We paid $95 with tax for a room with a King bed and a pull out sofa.
First, as we walked into the room it was very damp and musty and the carpets seemed damp. The room looked okay but the bathroom was gross and moldy and the tub was dirty. We went to pull out the sofa sleeper and there was a dead bug on the mattress. We checked all over and didn't find any more so thought it was just a fluke, the mattress looked clean and fairly new. We called for bedding for it and there were cigarette burn holes in the blanket (this was a nonsmoking room).
As the evening got later there was a lot of partying going on outside and it was very loud in the room. We didn't get alot of sleep.
We checked out the next morning and went in search of something at least clean and found the Hampton Inn which was very nice and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank LaurieVLincolnNE
Omaha, NE
Reviewed October 13, 2008

I was really worried when I first read all of the reviews for the Days Inn, however we really needed cheaper hotel and this fit the bill.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

It had a very nice bed. was very soft. The bed had four pillows on it, two thinner ones, and two fluffier ones, depending on your preference.

Bathroom was clean. Shower worked. The pressure fluctuated a little bit if you showered during a busy time, like in the mornings, but still got the job done.

There were little things that were not so great. Like the telephone jack was pulled out of the wall, however i am sure if we had said something they would have been more than happy to help.

We paid $45 for one night, and received over that much in quality.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Times breakfast was served
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank leahleah16
nebraska
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Our awful experience started when we walked into our room, which smelled like a dirty gym sock. After realizing we had been put in a smoking room (the room we reserved was non-smoking), we called to switch rooms. We were told there were no non-smoking rooms available. I was told that was we reserved, even though I had the confirmation telling me I reserved a non-smoking room. They told me they couldn't do anything about it. We were stuck with the stinky room! Then when we went to get into bed, we discovered there was a huge red stain on our sheet and pillow (looked like blood to me about the size of a dollar bill). We had to go to the front desk to get a replacement, they wouldn't bring one to our room. The second day while my husband was showering, someone came and told us we could no longer use our shower (there was a leak downstairs). 10 minutes later we were told not to use our toliet. We were not offered a different room at anytime. When checking out, we were given a $30 discount....which doesn't even begin to cover the inconvenience we dealt with. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!! YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends