“Not up to standard...”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #39 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed June 23, 2007

Stayed here as part of family vacation. The good: Pool was beautiful...kids loved it. Room was clean; bathroom was clean. Staff polite. The bad: Called downstairs to ask if ATM on site; answer was "yes". After taking elevator downstairs, found out that yes, there was an ATM, it was just not working . Went back up to room to get check to cash at front desk, came back down to front desk to get check cashed. It may sound petty to complain about this, but staff appeared aware that machine wasn't working, so why didn't they tell us this when we called to ask? Also: great breakfast next a.m., HOWEVER...the plates did not seem clean. Had to go through several in order to find one for each of my kids and myself that didn't appear to have a sticky film on it. The dishes appeared to have been washed in a dishwasher that wasn't working properly. This place did not live up to the usual Embassy Suites standards that I have seen in other places. Not sure I would want to stay here again. Oh, and by the way...at other places that I stayed on this trip (Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express) we had free local calls and free wireless internet; not so here! Wireless internet fee $10 and local calls 95 cents each! No that isn't a lot of money, but considering the room rate...not good.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed May 12, 2007

We stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night and it was wild! Many functions going on that evening and many of the party goers stay at the hotel. We booked this hotel because of the suite factor, we had our 2 small children. The room directly next to ours had a party going on, that was not taken care of until almost 2am. We called the front desk twice. Our 3 year old daughter was up until well past 3am because of the noise. Some of the people of the party just laughed at us as they took their party to another room in the hotel. When we call customer service from home, we were told that Embassy Suites has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to parties in their rooms. Funny how security first gave them a warning at midnight, there were more than 20 people in the room!

We were given a voucher for another stay within the next year. We called the hotel directly to book our stay and they transferred us to some kind of outside booking company to prepay. Since we booked the room that way we couldn't get our money back.

The hotel itself is nice, I have stayed in nicer Embassy Suites, it is a little dated. The free breakfast was nice but it was very crowded and not a clean table to be found.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank jolfitz
Reviewed March 29, 2007

I recently spent one evening at this hotel. It was fantastic! I can only think the prior bad reviews were booked when the hotel was in renovation and probably through a third party reservation system...you do realize you get the worst rooms that way right?

Anyway, the staff was the best I've ever had. We asked them for a cab to the Hyatt for dinner at Skies, they said, wait 2 minutes and our van will take you free of charge. Then they gave us their card to call for a return ride. Can't beat that! Room was beautiful and spacious. Bed very comfortable. They have a wonderful indoor pool and hot tub. It is very true about many children on site. I'm guessing that is due to the fact that they are all suites and reasonably priced.

Hotel includes made to order omelets plus great continental breakfast in the morning. Best I've ever had for free...or for cash for that matter.

Please do go and stay, it is lovely and a wonderful get away.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay this last weekend. I was skeptical because I hadn't stayed at this property for many years, and had read some "not so flattering" reviews on here. Much to my surprise I truly enjoyed my stay! The hotel had the same Spanish style charm that I remembered as a child. The breakfast was terrific, and you can't beat FREE drinks even if they aren't top shelf liquor. The hotel staff was EXTREMELY friendly to us. The front desk was even able to get us a cab on Saturday night (St. Patrick's Day) in a mere five minutes. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in, and all in all I thought the rooms were very nice and VERY spacious! This is a TERRIFIC hotel! It's is located within walking distance of Westport and the Plaza, and has a great ambiance! My husband and I travel very frequently, and have stayed at many properties. This was a FABULOUS experience!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Rio77
Reviewed January 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Embassy Suites Hotel on the Plaza for our anniversary. Got a reasonable rate from Priceline.
This hotel is very dated, with tired furnishings in lobby areas.

The front desk clerk was helpful and pleasant. Hotel may be fine for families but you should never pay the full price for it until they update things a bit. The location was a long four block walk to the Plaza with no real sidewalks available due to the construction of several appt buildings.
Room was a suite but the bathroom was tiny and very crowded.
Breakfast was cooked to order but the staff was rude and unhelpful. Very disorganized.

Stayed: January 2007
Reviewed December 31, 2006

We recently stayed at this hotel because of its location near the Plaza, and we found the accommodations to be fairly rundown and unclean. While the lobby was nice, the room we were in had not been updated in many years. We also found, to our surprise, that internet connection was only provided at a fee, and we had to call the front desk to find out that the fee was $10 a day. We have stayed at many less expensive hotels, and have never been charged a fee for internet. Even small bed and breakfasts provide free wi-fi. The location of this hotel is good if you want to shop or dine on the Plaza, which is nice, but there are many other hotels nearby. Next time, we will either stay at one of those hotels, or simply stay some place else and drive a little farther to get to the Plaza. The only contact that we had with the staff was at check in, and the clerk was very efficient, professional and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank Sophers
Reviewed December 31, 2006

This is a copy of the email I sent to the corporate office.

You have major problems in room 716 in this hotel. The sliding glass door in the bedroom leaks and it soaked a lot of clothing because of it. We called down to the front desk and the only answer that they had for us was that they couldn't do anything about it. The next morning I complained about the same problem as more clothes were ruined as the wall started leaking and the ceiling dripped. It looked a heck of a lot like black mold on the ceiling of this room. I notified the staff of the problem and they said that they couldn't do anything about the problem. They did send a maintenence person to the room, who then told us that it was probably condensation. They must think that we are idiots to believe it was condensation causing this problem. I probably won't be the only person contacting you about this problem, as I heard a couple of other patrons talking of them same problem. You need some major repair work done of the whole North side of the complex. Very disappointed for a hotel that is $150 a night.

Staff was put in an awful situation. I feel for them.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family