“It was ok, but not what I expected.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #38 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I booked this room ONLY because they advertised it as a 2 room suite. My wife and I were there with another couple for Father's Day weekend so that's why we wanted 2 rooms. I've never stayed at an Embassy before, but when I stayed at the Hyatt, a 2 room suite had 2 bedrooms in it along with 2 bathrooms and a shared living room. This place had 1 bedroom and 1 bath and a living room. Their 2 room suites mean 1 bedroom and 1 living room. My Hyatt room could have been advertised as a 3 room suite I guess. However, the hotel looks pretty nice on the inside when you're looking down into the courtyard area from your floor. Breakfast was pretty good and it had a lot to choose from compared to many other hotels we've stayed at. It was PACKED full of people every morning though so the wait sucked! Parking was HORRIBLE!!! They didn't have enough parking spaces in their small parking garage and the lot outside wasn't that much bigger. It was FULL every night and all you saw was cars parked every which way...making their own parking spots and blocking the back entrance/exit into the hotel. Their parking lot rent a cop was incompetent and told us to park in another lot that was behind the hotel. The lot had signs posted every where stating violators would be towed if parked there. I think the lot was for the hospital across the street. I could tell he hated his job and didn't want us asking him where we could park. Maybe I chose a bad weekend to stay? I will not be back though. Definitely not worth the price...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 15, 2010

I booked the hotel on the strength of the Embassy Suites brand. It was AWFUL and should be removed from the brand. Now I see other reviews that say the same--wish I had checked before going there. It was old, crummy, dirty. Our air conditioner banged away so we had to turn it off. Floor filthy, furniture worn and dirty and bedspread stained and GROSS. On checkout we got stuck in the elevator (I see months ago there was a comment about the broken elevator). Stay at a Marriott or anywhere else--UGH!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank WorldlyOne18
Reviewed June 14, 2010

The hotel is situated between the trendy Westport area of K.C. and the elegant Plaza with fountains, wonderful shopping and restaurants. It is an easy walk to Westport from the hotel which is good because parking can be tough during peak hours at Westport. Walking is possible from the hotel to the Plaza, but if you reel in some treasures on your shopping trip, you probably want to take your vehicle to store your packages. The hotel does have a "courtesy van" that will transport you to the Plaza too.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Prior reservation was booked for 2 nights for a conference @ this hotel. At check-in was told NO ROOM AVAILABLE! Very unprofessional. A prior confirmed reservation is meaningless at this worthless hotel.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I'm originally from Kansas City, and this hotel has been my selection for out of towners for years -- just had the opportunity to experience it for myself. Although the hotel could definitely use a make-over, I would still recommend it. My gripes: just a general feeling of dustiness/stickiness on surfaces; the fountain in the lobby/atrium held brackish water and was not cycling; elevators worn (you could feel the uneven floor grates through the thin carpeting; bed linens were threadbare; tub drained very slowly, etc. However, the staff was incredibly courteous and helpful, the price was decent and the location is top-notch! Breakfast was terrific and a really nice bonus. I've noticed that someone posted the fact that they felt their balcony was unsafe for children -- our balcony door was welded shut, so the balcony itself was unaccessable and posed no danger whatsoever.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Just returned from a knitters escape at the Embassy Suites. Great hotel. The staff was wonderful and so very helpful. Free shuttle was awesome. Took us where we wanted to go and then picked us up when we wanted to come back. Complimentary breakie is great. The omelets were super. Rooms are nice and very clean. It is a great place to stay.

Reviewed May 4, 2010

This hotel was nice- in a good location- nothing very fancy but good for families. The wall separating the rooms was a solid door which was great for privacy and the staff was great in having cribs set up in the rooms prior to arrival (I called that day to request). The staff was extremely, especially at breakfast. You get two tickets for drinks at the bar for a happy hour. The rooms all had a balcony- however- it was extremely unsafe for kids- wide & open. If you have young kids that can open the slider- it could be an issue. The hotel is in a nice area- walking distance to Westport where there are restaurants and shops.The pool looked really nice with two levels- though we didn't use it. I did think it was a little overpriced but overall a good hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
DOSMKCWE, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2010

Thank you for your response! We appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to host you and your family at our beautiful location! Customer service is very important to us and we are happy our staff was able to accommodate your special request! We look forward to the next opportunity to host you at our facility!

Travelers also viewed these Kansas City hotels
Hampton Inn & Suites Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza
Courtyard Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Best Western Plus Seville Plaza Hotel
InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza? Share your experiences!