Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City, United States
“Great Place”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Great Place. Great location. Courteous staff. A free shuffle to the Plaza or Westport. Great free breakfast with omelet bar, as well as a free managers reception with drinks and snacks in the evening.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Good morning Ben
Thank you for the delightful review you shared with the guests of Trip advisor. Our staff were happy that you capitalized on all of the benefits that are offered to all of our guests; complimentary evening reception, Full cook to order breakfast and a complimentary shuttle to areas with a 2 mile radius of the Hotel. Lastly thank you for your patronage and we hope you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Good afternoon. I am a secretary at a Technology Center in Oklahoma and made a reservation for a staff member at Embassy Suites. After I made the reservation, an additional form was required to complete the credit card process to make things run smoothly for our staff member when she checks in/checks out at your hotel. I called Embassy Suites and Elizabeth Kates answered my call. I am delighted to say that Miss Kates has a wonderful telephone voice and customer service presentation over the telephone. She was very helpful and e-mailed the needed form to me. The turnaround time was expedient and professional. Thank you for having such a great staff at Embassy Suites Kansas City - Plaza, and in particular, Elizabeth Kates! Congratulations Elizabeth!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I am the travel coordinator for my company. I make all of my reservations through Elizabeth. She is always polite, friendly, and professional. If I need to make any changes to our reservations she is very quick to respond and follow up to make sure everything is done perfectly! She is a breath of fresh air in a day where customer service seems to be a lost art! Thank you Elizabeth.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about Ms. Elizabeth in Reservations. Your comments coming from a guest in your line of work does carry a lot of weight and has extra meaning to our staff. I will share your comments with Mrs. Elizabeth and the rest of our staff to show the impact their efforts have on our guests. Thanks again for your comments and also for your continued patronage of our Hotel

Scott Woidela
Asst. General Manager
Embassy Suites Kansas City Plaza
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We came down to Kansas City on a Saturday so my husband and son could go to the Kansas Jayhawks basketball game on Sunday afternoon and I would take my other children shopping while they were there. It was absolutely freezing outside that weekend....unusually cold for KC.
Pretty fast check in even though there was someone checking in before us. People were friendly during check in asked if I was an HHonors member which I told them I was but didn't have my number on me. We went to our room which was on the 7th floor. Elevators were fast. We stayed in a King room with the pull out sofa for the kids. Nice room...lots of space. Bathroom was small like others have stated. Sinks are in the bedroom actually which was a little weird. View out window was of the hospital, but at night you could see the very edge of the Plaza lights.

Took the kids down to the pool area. It was freezing in there. The kids said the pool was cold too. They do have a hot tub and sauna. Someone must have been having a little girls birthday party or something because there was a lot of screaming girls in the pool with no adult watching them. Just one older girl in charge. Hit up the free drinks and snacks that night....chips, dips and crackers. Salsa was very good. Bar tenders did a great job keeping up. Never waited long at all.

Next morning got up...it had snowed about 3" over night. Watched out the window at the cars not being able to make it up the little hill outside the hotel. Kids said the pull out sofa hurt as they were sleeping on it. My 7 year old ended up on the floor because it was so bad.

Went down to the complimentary breakfast. A lot of people there. If you wanted omlets you got in one line...if you just wanted the scrambled eggs and such you got in another. I took two of my children through the non-omlet line. Moved quick. Went and sat down and then went back to get our drinks and fruit or breads, etc. My husband and one son went through the omlet line. That took quite a while and the line wasn't even that long at the time. I never would have gotten into that line as long as it got at one time. Food was very good. Lots of muffins and pound cake, fruit, toast, cereal, coffee, juices and hot chocolate and tea. Sat out at a larger table near the common area. It was a little cold out there.

We decided to see about adding another night to our stay because of the snow. We didn't want to try to drive 3 hours home after they got done with the basketball game that night. They were very nice and gave us new room keys because our other ones would not work after 2:00 that day. They then notified us that they could not find my HHonors info in their system. I just decided to resign up instead of the hassle of trying to find it. no big deal.

Husband went to the game, so I took the younger ones swimming again. Pool area was even colder today...but quiet since hardly anyone was in there. Pool was too cold for me to get in so I sat in the hot tub. Wasn't the hottest. We sat in there for a while and then ran to the sauna to dry off for a while. Then we hit the mall in Overland Park, KS for the American Girl store and Lego store. I can tell you that they need to work of the plowing of the roads in KC...ugh!!! Came back to take the kids swimming while they were still at the game. My card to get back into the self parking area wouldn't work so I had to take a ticket to park but it was fine. Then our room keys wouldn't work and had to go back down to get new ones again. Lady at the desk remembered us from checking in which was nice. Went to the pool Had it all to ourselves. Hot tub was actually a lot better now...heated up nicely. It was time for free drinks again. Now this time it was a Sunday night so the snacks were a lot less then they were the night before. Just a little chips and dip so we passed. I got a couple drinks for in the pool area while the kids were still swimming. There were only a couple of us there so got my drink right away.

Husband came back and we decided since it was about 8:00 at night we would just have dinner at the hotel restaurant instead of trying to find a place to eat. If it were a weekend night it probably would have been better. They only use a little part of the restaurant of couse because there was hardly anyone there. We had 7 in our group. 4 adults including my DH, me, oldest DD who lives in KC and her boyfriend and then our 3 younger children. They didn't have a table we could all fit in. The other half of the restaurant was dark so it was closed. The gentleman said they didn't have server for over there tonight. So we kind of stood there thinking for a second about what we could do. He ended up turning the lights on and sat us over there. He waited on us himself. He said he makes a better manager then waiter so please go easy on him. He did fine and we really appreciated accomodating us like that. Food was ok. Didn't order anything fancy and it came pretty quick. I will say it was absolutely freezing in the dining area there too. He even told us he doesn't have to keep the kegs in a cooler in the winter because it is so cold right there. I went back up to the room to get everyone a coat or sweatshirt.

Went back up to the room for a bit before my daughter headed out. Plenty of room in the suites to have all 7 of us in there at one time. Went to bed for the night. Kids decided they didn't want to sleep on that pull out again so we just set the chair and footstools for one kid...another slept on the couch and the youngest on the floor. He ended up getting sick in the middle of the night and ended up in our bed which was fine...it was big enough for all of us.

Next morning DH took two of the kids down to breakfast while I stayed up with the sick one. He came back up after eating and brought me some food and coffee. Said it was packed down there with a lot of business people being it was a Monday morning. He said the omlets were great, but they didn't have 1/2 the items they had the morning before. Not as many muffins or breads.

Check out was nice and easy....made sure we got a new card to get out of parking area. That morning though the elevators were not working properly. DH took the stairs down and back up (remember we were on the 7th floor) a couple times to load all of our stuff in the car. You could take the elevator but the maintenance man was running it and it was taking forever, especially with all the business people trying to get places.

A couple things.....Think it is kind of rediculous to pay $11 a day to park my own car there. I was already paying $130 a night before taxes to stay there. I can't imagin if I was staying for the week and having to add that on top of the nightly rate. and internet access is also another charge. DH was going to try to log onto his computer to just at least put his out of office on for the day since we stayed an extra night from the weather and couldn't do that without paying. Would be nice if they at least had a hotspot area in the lobby where you could connect for a bit.

Please do something about the coldness in the pool area! It was freezing sitting in there just watching my kids...and I was in jeans and a sweater.

I would consider staying here again for a short stay. The paying for parking would make me think twice because that sure can add up. We were concidering it for a baseball tournament we have to come down for in May, but by the time we have at least 12 rooms booked for us for a long weekend...that would really add up just in parking fees.

Got back home and waited a couple days and checked my HHonors account and my stay hadn't been credited. Emailed them and the next day it was on there. Very quick!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, United States
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I've stayed here twice now on business and can't get enough of this place. The whole interior has a Spanish look and feel--orange brick facade, live plants EVERYWHERE, and a gorgeous fountain graces the center of the hotel. The staff is great and helpful--we consulted with them for best eateries. They also have a complimentary shuttle anywhere around a 2-mile (maybe 3) radius. The breakfast is also pretty good--that omelet bar is probably the best thing about it. Everything else is okay--the other hot items, coffee, juice--just okay. The in-house restaurant is also okay. We only ate there because of our meeting schedule, but otherwise, if given a choice, I'd go somewhere else. The Plaza itself makes it hard to settle for this in-house restaurant. There's nothing special about it. Parking is NOT free ($11 self park/$15 valet/day), but there's usually plenty if you need to park on site.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Good morning Anna Y

Thank you for sharing your detailed review with the guests of Trip Advisor. I was happy to see that you found our staff and Hotel to your liking. I will share your comments about the Restaurant with the Food & Beverage Director. Thanks for your patronage and I hope your future travels bring you back to Kansas City and our Hotel.
gretna, ne
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I made reservations with Elizabeth today and once again felt welcome. Embassy Suites is an extremely nice franchise that we enjoy throughout the country. I look forward to seeing how this one holds up to the others. You can't beat the amazing breakfast! Only wish that Hilton Honors members received free parking and internet; at minimum wifi should be free. Regardless, thanks to Elizabeth for answering all of my questions with patience and kindness.

Room Tip: Always stay away from the pool and elevators and most definitely the ice maker…eek.
Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for sharing your comments with the guests of Trip Advisor on Ms Elizabeth. Unfortunately internet is only complimentary for Gold & Diamond Hhonors members and our parking is the most reasonable of hotels around the plaza area. Thanks for your patronage of our hotels and we look forward to your stay with us.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had a wonderful stay on Thursday Jan 2 when our flight was cancelled back to Chicago and we booked last minute. Very friendly staff and quiet hotel. The bathroom though is very small to be forn warned and the sink is in the bedroom. My son left is stuffed animal in the room which we discovered that evening after we had to drive back to Chicago after continued flight cancellations. We called right away, but have yet to get a call back which is disappointing and have followed up. I hope they still have it like one other review stated when theirs was left behind.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us. I apologize that the Housekeeper supervisor did not follow through and communicate on the issue with the stuffed animal. With all of the challenges in your travels, the lost stuffed animal is something you did not need to add on to your stress level. . Again I apologize for the disappointments during your stay you had with us.