“These folks are the best!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #32 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Nebraska
“These folks are the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have stayed here quite frequently when my friends and I want a night away at the Country Club Plaza. They staff is attentive, detail oriented, and remember you. That is huge for me! Of course, the complimentary beverages and breakfast in the morning makes for a very fun stay. They did add a charge for parking, which is very reasonably priced. The parking also allows in and out privileges and is covered so the price is worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Good afternoon Traveler1Nebraska

Wow! what a great review and please note that I will share your comments with our staff. We are fortunate that we have staff that enjoys their work and this does show. Thanks again for your kind words and also for your patronage of our hotel, we definitely appreciate your business.

Embassy Suites Kansas City Plaza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. It is right across the street from St. Luke's Hospital where our grand baby was just born! The rooms are nicely decorated and spacious. It is within walking distance to the Kansas City Plaza. It is also very close to several art museums.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Congratulations on your new grandchild. I hope the child and its mother are doing well. Thank you for the kind words about the hotel and I was happy to see that you could enjoy some of the area’s attractions during your stay with us. I would hope your future travels would bring you back to Kansas City and our Hotel

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed here over Memorial Day weekend with my wife and 2 young kids (2 and 4). Arrived around 1 and was happy there was a room ready for us several hours ahead of checkin. The Atrium and rooms are pretty nice and your typical Embassy Suites layout. At first the rooms actually looked huge. Until I realized it was because the bathroom was tiny. The bathroom sink and mirrors was actually outside of the bathroom. Some people may like this, but it reminds me of a motel. The bathroom door is in the main bedroom, not between the bedroom and parlor room like most Embassy Suites. Also, the brands of some of the items just appear to be cheap. (Chimei TV’s and Dangby fridge and microwave) There is also a balcony which is closed off the room. To me it looks like the railings are two wide and don’t meet code so they closed screwed the doors shut rather than fixing the rails. Just another cheapness affect. Beds were OK, but the pillows were smaller and less comfortable than most of Hilton branded pillows.
Location is good but nothing is right next to it. It is a 10-15 minute stroll to the plaza area. Lots of other hotels that are right next to the Plaza though. They do offer complimentary transportation if you would rather wait for the next available van.
Breakfast was not up to the Embassy Suites Standard. They have signs up saying on the weekends expect up to an hour to enjoy your breakfast experience during certain times. Instead of putting up a sign, why don’t they hire more people or have another buffet line? Breakfast is included in the rate (not free) and I would have rather saved $20 a night on the room and walked up to The Huddle House a few blocks away and enjoyed my breakfast instead of feeling like I was boarding a southwest airplane while trying to get my food. I would have liked to gotten more food for my family but after waiting 20 minutes the first time, I wasn’t going to wait another 20 minutes to grab a few more pancakes. On Weekends and holidays they don’t start serving until 7:30 which I think is very late because I want to get going to see sites for the day by that time. On one day we ate at 7:30 and then went down to leave the hotel with other parties around 9:30. We thought we would get a muffin while we were waiting. They were all out of muffins, danishes, bagels, bread, etc at the self serve station. We were in that area until 10:30 when breakfast is over and they never replaced any of those items for the entire hour.
Elevators at checkin and checkout time were a nightmare. I was on the 11th (of 12) floor and found it to be easier to walk 11 stories rather than trying to wait for an elevator that had room. The elevators start picking up people at the top so by the time they get towards the bottom they get full. Then the people at the bottom realize this and just ride the elevators up so they can get a spot and eventually come down.
Self Parking is $11 at the onsite lot or garage. Valet is $15. No street parking very close, but some a little down Nichols ave. At first I didn’t think this was too bad of a price and I usually don’t complain about paying for parking in a city. However parking at the Plaza is free…
Indoor pool was nice but crowded with kids. It is a large area so our kids still had fun. The pool is also close to the happy hour, so you did see a lot of people bringing their free drinks into the area which is fine because everyone was respectful.
I know my stay was during a busy weekend, but I assume that just about every weekend they are at capacity and should do something about these items.
If I could get a great rate, I might stay again. There are numerous other hotels which are closer and probably nicer I would look at first though.

Good afternoon Truprunbike

Thank You for a detailed review of your stay. I apologize for my tardiness in responding to your review but wanted to address the items you mentioned that were not to your liking. The TV microwaves and refrigerators have worked well with and although not a major brand name have had little maintenance issues. The vanity sink outside of the bath gets mixed results from our guests. Some guests like the vanity sink being out of the bathroom and the steam while others prefer it all in one area. Our accessible suites do have the bath in the front room but the vanity sink is still in the bedroom. The balconies were sealed as a safety concern and your comments about the width of the railings will be addressed. I apologize for the challenges you encountered at breakfast during your stay. Running out of the breakfast breads at 9:30 was a cardinal sin and it was addressed with the Food & Beverage Director. The weekend & holiday breakfast hours also gets mixed reviews. Early risers are disappointed but those who sleep in find the hours to their liking. Although the surrounding breakfast restaurants may be close by, they more than likely are busy at the same time as the hotel is. All of the Plaza hotels charge for parking including the hotels on the plaza. This does ensure that hotel parking spaces are for guests. Lastly please keep in mind the two-room suite, Breakfast and beverage offerings when comparing the other hotels in the area. Thanks again for your review and patronage of our hotel and I apologize for the poor stay you had with us.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had a very nice extended family weekend trip. The hotel is very nice for larger group. We had 15 total and we able to easily find tables to talk and play games in the atrium area. The evening reception was lacking compared to other Embassy Suites. One night the snacks were chips/salsa and animals crackers. The other night was potato chips and hummus. Breakfast was great and the lines were shorter than our most recent Embassy Suites stay.

There is shopping and restaurants within easy driving distance and the hotel offers a shuttle service, even to the stadium is going to a game. There is also a park across the street with a running path and work out stations along the route.

Very nice hotel for families in Kansas City.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Bigtony777

Thank you for your kind words about your recent family gathering with us. I apologize for your disappointment with the Manager’s reception food offering and was glad to see that the breakfast was up to your liking. We cannot take the credit for the shuttle service to the stadium as our shuttle is kept within a 2 mile radius of the Hotel, but I am glad you were able to use our shuttle to explore the Plaza and Westport area. Thanks again for your review and patronage of our hotel and I hope your future travels will bring you back to Kansas City and our Hotel.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

A generally tired interior all around. I’m generally a big fan of Embassy Suites hotels but this one was disappointing. I’ve attached a couple pictures of our “balcony” – which by the way you can’t get out on because the door/window has been purposely blocked and prevents access. The view is the view and it’s pretty bad (not uncommon for a lot of city hotels) but what concerns me more and what could be fixed is the railing. The paint is mostly gone from the rail center post and it’s rusting badly. Perhaps that’s why you can’t go out on it? Nonetheless, it looks terrible and is symbolic of this hotel. As of May 2013, the hotel is in need of a refresh.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
I apologize for the disappointments you encountered during your stay with us. I have reviewed your comments with our Chief Engineer. Comments from our guests are taken very seriously as we value your patronage. Again I apologize for the poor stay you had with us.

Manhattan, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Hotel staff was friendly, breakfast was packed and omelet lines were long but that was expected. They even have a green, yellow and red times for efficient breakfasts. Cole proximity to Westport and the plaza. Would stay again.

Good afternoon Don S

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your stay with the Guests of Trip Advisor. I apologize if staff did not brief you of the better times for breakfast without the lines when you checked in. Thanks again for your review and patronage of our hotel and I hope your future travels will bring you back to Kansas City and our Hotel.

Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Staff was polite and helpful. The pool was a zoo, noone watching kids as they jump from every ledge even though this is not allowed. Parents were on their phones and no supervision from staff. Many kids and adults were uncomfortable as the mob of kids took over sauna, pool and steam room. The rooms need updates furniture scratched along with walls. Fixtures not level. The hotel is in a great area if a couple wants to eat and party several bars and restaurants in area. Though it is a very noisy stay with ambulances from nearby hospital and other emergency vehicles. It would be quieter to stay at the hospital.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Good Morning Emontalvogc

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your experience on Trip Advisor. We always appreciate feedback on how we did in your eyes. I apologize for the behavior of our guest’s children and the parents who failed to control them. I will speak to our staff to increase their walks of the pool. The Hotel was full resulting in a lot of activity and I apologize if it affected your sleep. Thanks again for your review and patronage of our hotel and I apologize for the poor stay you had with us.