“Not up to Embassy Suite Standards”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #35 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Not up to Embassy Suite Standards”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is not just one of the worst Embassy Suites hotels I've been to, it is actually one of the worst hotels period I've been to (not the worst, but one of them). We have 4 children, so we stayed here primarily so that we could have a suite. The atrium and lobbies are beautiful and clean. Upon entering we were very impressed and our children loved it. However, when we got to our room I was much less impressed. The beds were small in the bedroom - two double beds instead of two queen beds -- and there was a large stain on one of the bedspreads. The bathroom was so tiny I could barely shut the door while standing in front of the toilet. The sofa was worn and looked like there was about to be a hole in it. When we went to went to go to bed that night, we pulled out the sleeper sofa and went to get the blanket for it out of the dresser. To our surprise, the blanket had large holes in it. Then my husband asked me to feel it because it felt weird -gross. The blanket material was falling apart in our hands. The blanket was actually dry-rotted! Either no one ever laundered or replaced the thing or housekeeping had put it out for guests despite its terrible condition. Luckily, the front desk was quick to provide another blanket. The worst was yet to come, however. The mattresses were old and uncomfortable. They felt like they had not been replaced in 20 years! They had no support at all and actually jiggled from side to side. Since the primary purpose of a hotel is to allow you to sleep, this was entirely unacceptable. None of us slept that night due to how uncomfortable the beds were- not even the kids -- and we were all exhausted the next day. On the sofa-bed mattress you could feel every spring. Also, the pool was open until midnight but all kids are kicked out at 10:00 p.m., even if they are there with their parents. We weren't even allowed to stay in the pool area. Considering what we paid to stay there, I was unhappy to say the least to find that my money was apparently not worth as much as a person without kids. Being kicked out when we had just been there a short while was especially upsetting given that there was no one in the pool area without kids, so when we were kicked out, the pool was totally empty. When I complained, they did help us out a bit entertaining the kids, but I would rather have had our family treated like all the other guests. We stayed at a Comfort Suites in Independence the next night and it was about hundred times nicer and cleaner at less than half the price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy T
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
I understand how important a great night’s sleep is and it looks like we clearly missed the mark. I apologize for the problems you encountered with the stained bedspread and dated blanket. I’ve addressed these concerns with our housekeeping staff to ensure that this gets rectified. I’ve also addressed your issues with our guest room mattresses with our staff so we can actively guarantee that we have the comfortable mattresses our guests deserve. We apologize for the miscommunication about our pool hours. The Pool Hours are posted on the door at the pool entrance. We offer the Adult Swim as a request from our guests. We decided on this as we offer the children 16 hours of swimming and needed to offer a quieter swim time for adults which would also assist parents in getting their children out of the pool and ready for bed. I will review this with our staff and will be sure to make that clear to our guests at check-in. We assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you won't be disappointed in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Checked in and the hotel is definitely dated. Room was average at best. Small beds and the room was not real clean. HVAC vent above the bedroom door was rusted and had mold. The shower/tub and toilet were in a very small room. The sink was out in the bedroom. The shower/tub would barely drain. Had to wait 10 minutes between family members or else you had to stand in water. Breakfast was not good. Pancakes were very sour, definitely a strong buttermilk flavor. Muffins were dry. Bananas were so green they were hard to peel. Even the coffee was poor. I just expect a lot more from Embassy Suites, especially for the price you pay. At least I know not to return here.

Room Tip: Choose a different Embassy Suites.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Mrs J. Ridder

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure the issues your encountered do not happen again. We have contacted our maintenance department in regards to the condition of your bathroom and vents and these have been corrected as well.Breakfast Friday morning August 3rd was extremely busy and I apologize that the restaurant staff was not able to manage this vital area of your stay. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences that you endure while here and we will take every step possible to make sure that we get all issues corrected. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again to experience a greater level of hospitality. Thank you again; I appreciate your honest feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was the worst Embassy Suites I've been too. Lines are long for breakfast, sometimes an hour. Three elevators for twelve floors equals 20-30 minutes wait at any given time. Attendant was rude when my parking pass stopped working. Other staff members were foul mouthed and rude as well. Not to mention two days after I see that I've been charged extra fees with no explanation. They are getting a call from me and I won't be going back any time soon.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!!! You deserve better for your money. I stay in the Crown Center area a year earlier an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brian B
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Brian B
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I apologize for the long waits at the elevators and for breakfast. We were at capacity and did warn guests about the expected wait at breakfast and I apologize if you were not briefed on this. There was no excuse for the valet to be short with you and I did speak with the manager concerning this Saturday morning. I did a quick check of guests’ names to do some research over the additional fees you mentioned and found that you were only charged for parking. However, there were some credit card authorizations that should fall off by now unless the bank that holds your credit card has different policies for authorizations.
Again, we do apologize for the frustrations you encountered when staying with us and I would hope you would give us another chance the next time your travels bring you to Kansas City.
Omaha, NE
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I was really torn about rating this hotel. I wanted SO MUCH to give it five stars, but there's no way I could do that.

To me, two things make it a 3-star hotel. Location and the quality of the room.

1. Location. This is NOT in the Plaza. Now, I knew this going into it. It was a major factor for me. But I was still disappointed in how far away from the Plaza it was. The front desk worker claimed it was 3 blocks away. I can't reiterate enough that it is NOT 3 blocks away. I read 6 blocks away on here, and someone else claimed it was a mile. Whatever it is, it's a long way away, and the walk doesn't seem to be a pleasant one (run-down neighborhood, construction, etc.). If you're going to call yourself a Plaza hotel, you need to be able to give your guests a reliable, easy, consistent, and safe way to get to the Plaza very quickly. There was a lot of construction on the roads going to the Plaza, and plus, it was 108 degrees outside yesterday (literally), so walking there was out of the question. I know there was a shuttle service provided, but--and maybe this is just me--a shuttle is extremely inconvenient, with having to set up times and call back and tip. It's just not a good option for us. The neighborhood around the hotel seemed questionable, too, and in no way would I feel comfortable walking at night with my two small children. I would say this is the single most disappointing thing about the hotel.

2. Quality of the rooms. The rooms were unfortunately lacking. Everything seemed tired and run-down. The air was extremely, extremely humid (so much so that our clothes were damp when we unpacked last night after we got home). The furniture was scratched up. Everything was clean, though, except for the bathroom, which smelled mildewy and urine-y (sorry if that's gross, but it's true). The bathroom was also the smallest bathroom I've ever seen in a hotel, and there was extremely little water pressure in the shower. (My husband said it was like trying to shower in a drinking fountain, and that's spot-on.) The big outside window was so dirty I was itching to get after it with some Windex the entire time. That's a big bummer, to open the only window in the hotel and see grime the entire time. Other than the shabbiness and the grossness of the bathroom, the room was clean.

Other things that turned me off from the hotel were: no housekeeping when we were there (and I'm Ok with reusing hotel towels normally, but when the room was so humid, they wouldn't dry, and is there anything grosser than using a damp hotel towel?!); the pool, while nice, needed to be cleaned (water was cloudy and there was sediment on the pool's bottom ::shudder::). Also, come on, do you really have to charge for parking and internet? I think that's pretty silly. You can get free internet anywhere. Even my oil-change place has free internet. Making guests pay for it is dumb. Same with parking.

However, all was not lost. The real gem in this hotel was the hotel's common areas. I absolutely LOVED the atrium. The fountain was GORGEOUS and I loved how there was lots of common-area seating (benches, tables, couches). Sitting in the lobby was a thoroughly pleasant way to spend an hour or two. Very pretty. I also loved the manager's reception, which is such a perk for any Embassy Suites hotel. The line got long, but that's OK. The bartender was very nice about making shirley temples for my sons, too. Nice way to relax at the end of the day. The breakfast was also a nice perk. Good variety (but yes, very long lines). I would suggest more fresh fruit, better coffee, and a few donuts to be added. The breakfast and the manager's reception were really wonderful. Every single person who worked there was very kind and helpful.

I hope this review helps someone!

1 Thank klcrooks
Wellington, Kansas
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at this Embassy Suites from 7/19/12 to 7/22/12. Overall, the experience was great with just a few exceptions. If you're ordering an omlet for breakfast, you better wake up at 7:00 am to avoid the long lines downstairs in the dining room! It can take up to 30 minutes to get through the line but is definitely worth the wait if you have that kind of time and/or desire to get up early! Same with the elevators, especially on Sunday during a busy checkout day. For a hotel with this many floors/guests, 2 banks of 3 elevators each are DEFINITELY needed. The pull out sofa was not very comfortable; our two kids ages 6 and 8 slept on it and both of them said their backs hurt the next morning and they preferred to just sleep on the floor the rest of the stay, which is unfortunate in this kind of quality hotel. The kind sized bed was very comfortable though and the other furniture was very nice. Housekeeping did a great job keeping us stocked with plenty of coffee for our room and fresh towels. I can say that everyone we came in contact with, from the front desk to housekeeping to dining room workers to the bus drivers to the manager were EXCELLENT! And, the free trolley service to the Plaza was a wonderful touch - if you're staying here, don't forget to bring money to tip with, as these workers definitely deserve it!!

Room Tip: Breakfast tastes wonderful but the lines are WAY TOO LONG!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Traci S

Thank You for your detailed review of your stay with us. That time was extremely busy and you are correct that the wait times for an omelette can be long during the popular Breakfast hours. Thank you for your kind words about our staff, we are very proud and lucky to have them on our team. Thanks again for the detailed review and I would hope your future travels bring you back to Kansas City and our Hotel.
Wilmette, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Our family usually stays at Hilton properties, and we are Diamond level with Hilton. We have started to see a trend in poor service at Hilton properties, which has led us to open a credit card with Fairmont to gain points, anyways, we have stayed at this Embassy Suits in KC for four summers in a row now, and its service has really improved. I can say that all employees that work on the main floor have been well-selected and trained, of particular note is Byron K. at the breakfast service--he could write a book on how to treat customers. In addition you can walk to Westport in 5 minutes (a level walk) and can walk to the Plazza (a downhill walk--very steep) in about 15 minutes--great location. There is a great indoor pool, a decent bar/restaurant, and great room service.

As a comparison, we are a 1 hour train ride to the Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue, NY (we live in CT and have stayed at the Waldorf about 10 times) ---this little Embassy Suit in KC provides better, more prompt, more competent, and definately friendlier service than the Waldorf---seriously.

In regard to the KC embassy, I would say its weekest link is the housekeeping, they are not consisent, like not giving you coffee, etc., but they are not by any means a disaster. Also, the bedrooms are always a bit warmer than the front rooms, but not a reason to not pick this great hotel.

Hougie

1 Thank Bruce P
Dear Bruce P
Thank you for the 5-Star review!

Please know your comments have been shared with the front desk and breakfast teams! They never get tired of hearing this type of feedback. You are correct that Byron could write a book on service and several other guests have commented very positively on this great and very valuable team member.
Your comparison to the grand hotel in our collection was very flattering and brought back memories of how I would compare the hotels I worked to that Hotel that really set the standard for hotels.
Again thank you for sharing your comments with the readers of Trip Advisor. I would hope when your desire of barbeque brings you back to Kansas City we would have the chance to serve you again.
Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I've stayed at Embassy Suites in other cities, but the Kansas City Plaza locale is one of the best. Excellent suites, super room service, convenient location - it has it all. Excellent place to stay for the busy pro or the family that needs lots of room. I didn't use the pool and/or workout room, but they both looked very nice! That being said, there are a few minor items that could use some work:

* Parking is not free and the underground has a very low overhead height - and the surface parking is very limited.
* One bank of 3 elevators with 12+ floors plus a garage level is very limiting when the hotel is full. Be prepared for loooong waits during busy times. The lack of easy stair access doesn't help.
* There appears to be only a small handful of rolling luggage carts for a very large hotel - they NEED to obtain more before I will stay here again for a big conference!
* The morning free breakfast is great as usual. Having a separate line for the custom requests (omelets, etc) would go a long way to improving the flow. I didn't want a custom order yet had to wait for everyone else - other ES locales separate the lines more efficiently. The quality of th food is great, just slow service.

Overall, a great hotel trying hard to work with some defficencies - with a small effort to upgrade a few items this could be a top-notch hotel.

Room Tip: If you are ok with walking up a flight or two of stairs, try to get a room on the 3rd or 4th floors...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear TripMeisterFM
Thank you for your review! We are delighted that you had an excellent stay with us. I apologize for the delay you may have encountered in requesting a luggage cart. There was a group staying with us that monopolized our carts but staff was alerted to be making this a priority for guests such as you.
I apologize that the breakfast staff did not indicate there were two lines for breakfast and to go to the buffet line if you did not wish an omelet cooked to order. I will review this issue with our breakfast staff as they all could have made an announcement about two lines to expedite your breakfast experience.
Parking is a premium and we were forced to go to a paid parking format as there people parking in our lot who were not hotel guests. Again, thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you as our guest again in the near future where hopefully you can enjoy the pool and health club that you did not on your last visit. Lastly, thank you also for your patronage of our Hotel