“You might miss matchbooks...”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #39 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed March 27, 2012

...as a way of remembering what town you are in if you wake up groggy because of jet lag. This is a cookie cutter standard ES property -- even the nice cooked-to-order omelette breakfast looks, well, cloned. A bit of paint and extra vacuuming might be worth it, and it would be wonderful if someone went through the underground garage to fix leaky overhead pipes, etc.

Room Tip: I wasn't sure which side I was on, but there were plenty of fire truck or ambulance sirens overn...
1  Thank 1West
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2012

Dear 1West

Thank You for your comments of your recent stay with us. I apologize for the issues you found and have shared them with appropriate departments and staff. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the cooked-to-order breakfast and hoped you were able to take advantage of the other amenities we have to offer. Again Thank you for your comments and I hope to see you return if your travels bring you back to Kansas City.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is an older property. The bathrooms are off the bedroom rather than in the hall between living area and bedroom--so if you are travelling as a family, take note. Bed was very comfortable. The bedroom was very quiet, but I think if you were sleeping in the living area, there might be a noise issue from the atrium.
Bathroom has pretty old fixtures as well. Could definitely use an update.
You do have to pay extra for parking, I guess to discourage non guests from using the parking,. Seems like they could cut you a break on that for staying at the hotel, esp since there are lots of free parking lots in the plaza area.
Did not eat breakfast, so can't comment on that.

Room Tip: Higher is better to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Feistyrg

Thank You for sharing your review with the other guests of Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you found the bed comfortable and the bedroom quiet. Hopefully You can enjoy our cooked to order breakfast on your next visit to Kansa City !

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Our stay provided all that one expects from an Embassy Suites....a nice room in a centrally located hotel. A nice pool area for kids and a very nice excercise area for adults. They provide a full breakfast including made to order omelettes. Just be prepared to stand in line, even on a weekday. The manager's social/happy hour provided two free drinks and snacks (pretzels and chips), which was a nice way to relax after a day of sightseeing.

The hotel provides free local shuttle service so you can get to the Plaza and Westport areas very easily, even in bad weather.

The best part of the hotel was the staff. They were very friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: A room away from the elevators may help you sleep in longer in the mornings. Kids going to an early...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Dear Dan M.

Thanks for your delightful review of your recent stay with us. I am glad that you and your family were able to enjoy the complimentary manager's reception & cooked to order breakfasts as well as the pool , fitness center & complimentary local shuttle. Theses amenities really define our hotel. Thank You also for the nice comment on our staff which I will share with them .

Reviewed March 22, 2012

We arrived at the Embassy Suites to find that our hotel.com reservation had not been passed on to the hotel. Rayshad at the front desk and manager Nathan were extremely helpful. Rayshad called on our behalf and spent almost 45 minutes with us trying to clarify the situation and making up for what was hotel.com's mistake. In the end, the hotel only had a smokong suite available which was unacceptable to us, so we stayed at a different hotel. However, the front desk's customer service went above and beyond.

Dear Jane B.

Thank You for sharing the efforts of our team with your reservation. We are pretty lucky to have these individuals on staff and I will share your comments with them. I am sorry that we could did not have a Guest Suite available and Hope you will think of us again when your travels bring You back to kansas City.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Never had a problem with Embassy Suites and am glad to say that this one did not disappoint with the service, the staff or the breakfast. The room was well kept and the beds comfortable. The valet parking {$15 a night} was quick and efficient when I needed the vehicle.

The biggest thing I could see is that the hotel rooms need updating. One renovation needed is that the bathroom {tub and stool} were about the size of a double closet. But that goes back to the original design of the hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise in the morning when people are at breakfast or in the evenings when th...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear TCPDump

Thank You for sharing your stay with other guests on Trip advisor. I will share the comments about the staff and the quick & efficient valet that you received with our team and am sure they will be pleased that we met the high ex[pectations of a Senior Trip Advisor Contributor. We hope your future travels will bring You back To Kansas City in the near future!

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Not a bad location and the breakfast is always good. The rooms are fine, but could use some updating. About what you would expect from an Embassy Suites that is 25 years old. The service is what you would expect.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank You for Your kind words and candid review from your stay with us last September. I apologize for not exceeding your expectations on service. Your comments as a senior contributor concerning the property will be shared with our staff. I am please you enjoyed breakfast as it is a key component of our brand in addition to a positive start of your day during one’s journey.
Again, thank you for staying with us and for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

My family & I have been staying at this hotel 1-2 times a year since 2007. We've never had a problem and obviously return year after year. We stayed there 2/17-2/20 and I can honestly say I was shocked to find a new fee for parking. The parking lot had been secured and you now had to pay to park even as a paying guest. I let this go, but was irate when we returned from dinner Saturday night to find no parking. We had to park on a dark side street and walk with our 2 young children several blocks to the hotel. Believe me, I complained. Nothing was done.

The breakfast area is a disaster. There is no organization to the lines and placement of stations and you can barely walk around to get a glass of milk. I've stayed at many Embassy Suites and they seem to have the weekend crowds down, but not this Embassy.

Housekeeping does not come to your room until late afternoon, just when you are returning from your day out. Awesome timing when you have young ones that need to take a nap. The dirty room had to stay dirty for another day.

This hotel seems to have marketed themselves to the bachelor/bachelorette parties. We found remnants of decorations in our room (indicating a proper vacuuming job had not been done) and even inappropriate boxes and wrapping in the walkway the next morning. I'm no prude, but I don't really choose to explain to my 5 year old what a blow up doll is when I'm paying for a nice, clean stay in a hotel.

We will not be staying here again. Proceed wisely on the weekends.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SunSunSun06

Dear Guest
I apologize for the disappointing stay you had with us this. I also apologize for none of our staff offering to discuss our frequent guest program so you could take advantage of the multiple stays you have had with us over the last five years.
We were one of the last hotels in the area to charge for parking. The growth of the Plaza & Westport area had forced us to secure our lot for Hotel guests. We have procedures in place to automatically upgrade guests to Valet parking when our lot is full. I apologize that staff did not offer that to you when you complained that evening.
I am sorry that you had significant challenges with breakfast. I will speak to the staff over that area as there is no need to start your morning off with the frustrating experience you mentioned.
I apologize for Housekeeping not getting to your suite until late in the day. We can and would be happy to clean your suite at a specific time because of the little one’s nap time.
Lastly, we do not market ourselves to the bachelor/bachelorette market and we can and did enforce quiet times for the rest of our guests. I will address with our night staff the importance of policing the guest floors to dispose of the material you mentioned.
Again please accept my apologies for the challenges and frustrations on your return stay with us. I would hope you would reconsider and try us again on your next travel to Kansas City.