Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #38 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We had one night to spend in KC, so we wanted to be sure that the hotel was within walking distance to a cool part of town for dinner and drinks. Although a little more spendy than I would have liked, this hotel was a good choice. The location was great to walk to the Westport neighborhood and the suite was huge! The hotel decor was a little old and tired, but the atrium style design makes it feel big and kinda luxurious. Hot breakfast was included, and although it was like a cattle call on a busy weekend morning, everything was good.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank amyamylynn

Reviewed August 17, 2011

This used to be our favorite place to stay in Kansas City. When our kids were younger, it was great because they had their own area to sleep and watch TV. The manager's reception was great and we always enjoyed the free breakfast. As a Hilton Honors member, we always appreciated the note from the manager along with a couple bottles of water when we arrived. We also liked not having to pay for parking.

Recently, things have changed. The rooms are beginning to show their age. The beds are nice and they have new flat screen TVs, but the rooms need updating. There are no advantages to being a Hilton Honors member (no note, no water). It would be nice to get free internet access or parking for being a loyal repeat customer and a Hilton Honors member. I complained that I wasn't happy about paying to park and the desk clerk explained that they were having problems with unauthorized parking and that they needed to charge to keep them out and ensure enough parking for their guests. I thought that was interesting because I never had an issue with parking in the twenty-plus stays I have had at this hotel over the past 15 years or so.

The bottom line is that iIf you have kids, it is a good value because you don't have to book two rooms, and the breakfast is great. We visit Kansas City often and we have changed hotels, but I would still say that the Embassy Suites is a decent place to stay in Kansas City.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Stayed 3 nights in late June on family road trip. Hotel is near fun Plaza area (NOT downtown) with great shops & restaurants. Park with walking path right down the block. Medical center is nearby but only heard sirens once. Room x27 was constantly subject to elevator noise/rumble but leaving room fan on helped. Kids loved the two-level pool, and easy to watch from the nearby hot tub. Steam room was broken. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Very good breakfast. Manager Reception snacks were not substantial. Note self park is $10/day; don't bother with Valet. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank StLmetroMom
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Twice I have stayed at this hotel for 5+ nights for business. The hotel is located close to all of the quaint shops, museums and great restaurants that KC has to offer. Unfortunately if staying more than two nights there is little room to hang clothes as a chiffarobe is to serve as the closet. Both rooms in the suites are very dark even with all of the lights on; if you are a female forget trying to put on make-up until you get out of the hotel or consider bringing a lighted make-up mirror. Even though the room service staff is very friendly never once was my food order correct. All of the staff at the hotel are very friendly though.

Room Tip: Okay for overnight stay
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Joyforlife
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We had a business event here, when we arrived they had posted incorrect signage that the staff initially didn't want to change, then went in to find a hole in the wall and broken glass on the floor. Sleeping rooms were better but still overall run down and musty. A second desk staffer did print up a new sign for us and later directed us to a nearby brewpub where we had a good dinner, but we had to walk past some empty lots to get there. It was not that close to the Plaza, in a more residential area. We won't be going back - there are cheaper places for personal travel and nicer places for business travel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I stayed at rhe embassy june 17-19th for a birthday staycay. Check in was amazing and kristal was so sweet. Even gave me a credit for fre movie rental! I had told her I had read bad reviews so give me a good room. Room is spaciouxs and comfy. Bathroom a little small bug bearable. 2 flat screen tvs and the king bed is so soft. Had such a good here and I got a great deal thru priceline!!
I will stay here again

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Rashedabionka
Reviewed May 21, 2011

The good: Booked one night on Priceline for the Embassy Suites K.C. Plaza. Check-in was smooth (around 8:30pm), no line and the staff were all friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and had everything we needed. Just like other Embassy Suites, it had ample space and was comfortable. The shuttle bus was happy to take us to Rudy's for dinner and the driver was friendly, helpful and opened the door for us every time. We called him for pick-up and he was there in less than 10 minutes. We missed the cocktail reception so I can't comment on that.

The not-so-perfect: We found an ant in our bed...just one. We checked it over and did not see any additional. The hotel is right across the street from a hospital and we were on that side of the hotel so we heard sirens late into the night. Once I fell asleep I didn't wake up to them though. In the morning we attempted to go to the breakfast (about 9am) but were unsuccesful. The elevators were full and slow so we decided to take the stairs down the 6 flights. Once we got there the line was long and the lobby was really full, we didn't have time to wait. No biggie except still the issue with the elevators so we hiked it up the 6 flights and checked out of our room.

The hotel itself is a little outdated but still clean (except for the ant) and comfortable. The entire staff was friendly and helpful and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Probably don't book with priceline.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends