“Great hotel, great room”

Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza
Ranked #20 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Chicago, Illinois
“Great hotel, great room”
Reviewed June 20, 2009

The price we paid was an AMAZING deal. The room had a separate living and sleeping area with flat panel TVs in both. We also had a coffee maker, microwave, fridge, desk area and more.

Parking is expensive at the hotel, but there's a free KC parking garage across the street, so save your money and park there

Hotel has internet, but it's only free in the lobby.

Biggest drawback was the hotel has a lot of stairs to walk up from the street. Also it advertises Starbuck's coffee, but they gave us Seattle's Best, not a biggie. Also, the adjoining room door was not locked when we arrived.

Hotel staff was very friendly and welcoming.

The area is very nice, it's a trendy part of KC and is within walking distance of great shops and the riverfront.

Overall it was an amazing value and a great hotel. I would love to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelbuddy24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Pecatonica, Illinois
Reviewed June 19, 2009

We had a king-size suite and were very comfortable. We found the bed to be just right. For us, there was no problem at all with noise or with thin walls. We enjoyed the two plasma TVs and the little sitting room. This is a terrific location to shop at Country Club Plaza and to go to one of the many restaurants there. We also found that the desk was very professional when we asked a question or wanted directions. There are two things that are on the negative side---parking is $9.00 if you self-park. That's not so bad, but you have to pay $9.95 for Internet which I think is outrageous for a hotel in this category. We did get this room through Priceline, and for what we paid, we got good value. We were satisfied with our room, the cleanliness of the suite, and reception.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank William M
San Carlos, CA
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for a wedding. It's a pretty nice place but the customer service at the front desk is atrocious. We originally booked a suite online (NEVER book online unless you are sure you won't have any change of plans). Unfortunately, we had an unexpected change of plans and would not be able to arrive until a day later.

When we called the hotel, we were told that because we booked using an online only rate, there was nothing they could do to help us out. Mind you, I have been a loyal Starwood customer for 20 years and stayed exclusively at Westin Hotels during the several years that I traveled on business. Despite having been a long time customer, the hotel refused to do anything.

In addition, 24 hours prior to arrival I called the hotel directly and asked if we could be put on the same floor as our other family members. I was assured that it would be no problem. When we arrived the next day, when I asked about being on the same floor, the desk clerk looked at me like I was crazy and said "we don't guarantee things like that." When I told him that a desk clerk at that hotel has committed to putting us on the same floor, he again told me that they simply didn't do that.

Starwood should think about getting its act together in the customer service department. This hotel is independently owned and operated, but bad customer service by a hotel that is supposed to specialize is hospitality is just bad business.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank momtosamandsarah
EdStevens, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, January 21, 2010
I saw the review you posted and apologies that our hotel didn’t live up to your expectations. I will get with the appropriate departments and review this post with them, so this will not happen again.

Ed Stevens
KS
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Went for a weekend getaway with my wife & two other couples.
We went to a Royals game, ate Gate's BBQ (not as good as Arthur Bryants), stayed at the Sheraton, had brunch at the Cheesecake Factory, shopped the plaza, and headed back home.

We got 3 rooms on Priceline for $50 bucks a night! (50 includes taxes) Motel is nice and rooms were very clean & cozy. Bed slept very well. Very nice bartender Saturday night. Beer & wine prices were reasonable but 9.50 for a long island iced tea was too steep. Very close to the Plaza and tons of eateries & shopping. Luckily there is a free parking garage across the street that is very convenienant and let's you save the 9 or 10 bucks it costs to park your car per day.

No free breakfast & heated pool was too cold for late May. If we had to pay full price I would have rather stayed at the Embassy Suites, but if you can get this cheap on priceline it is definetly a good buy and nice place to stay.

Also, ask for a room with a balcony. There is a great view at night and during the day.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank GoRillas00
branson
Reviewed April 29, 2009

I stayed here sixteen years ago when the hotel was much newer and it was great. But from the looks of the rooms it doesn't appear they have updated the place since then. They charge for $10.00 for internet and $9.00 for parking, plus there is a large hotel tax. The place really smells and could use some serious cleaning. Sixteen years ago it was a great memory. It is hard for me to believe the Sheraton allows such low performance of housekeeping staff.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
I saw the review you posted regarding the internet issues you had while staying at our property. I apologize for the unforeseen event; our internet sever did go down during your stay, but it has been corrected. I would be interested to learn more details about what you experienced and would appreciate you contacting me at estevens@sheratonkc.com

Travelers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Reviewed August 21, 2008

We decided on this property for a quick b-day weekend getaway from Columbia. The location is great, it is within walking distance of the nice shops and restaurants. The hotel leaves much to be desired. There was no ice in the machine on our floor the entire time we were there. My teenaged daughter rode the elevator to 3 floors and all the machines were empty. We called the front desk and to their credit they did send a bucket up immediately, but never filled the machines. Housekeeping had not come to our room by the time we returned after being out all day. We called and they showed up about 5pm. The rooms are average, and fairly clean, but nothing about this place is "very nice" , luxurious, or even above average. Oh yeah, how can I forget that we ordered a pizza from Dominos on our first night arriving (room service closes at 11) and when my husband went to the front desk to get directions, the guy dialed the number and handed my husband the phone.............great service indeed!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Greenwich, CT
Reviewed August 20, 2008

I generally have no complaints with Sheraton, love the chain BUT this hotel in the Plaza in KC was a complete disappointment. The walls were PAPER thin. You better be a heavy heavy sleeper. I could hear the occupants of the suites next to mine like they were standing in my own room at all hours of the day and night annnnd very early morning. I could hear every door slam, housekeeper cart and hallway conversation.

The bed was not the traditional luxe Sweet Sleeper style. The pull out couch was downright appalling. The mattress was all springs and the blanket was something straight out of the army, so scratchy, pilled, thin, old and gross.

The pocket door for the bathroom was stuck and nearly impossible to close, not so pleasant having to use the facilities with the door open!!!

Great location, decent price but not a pleasant stay. Not what I would expect from a Sheraton hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Comfort (ie awful bed linens), Lack of Attention to Detail (broken bathroom door)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends