“Comfortable but...”

Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here a couple nights on business. The rooms are suites, but small suites, a little cramped for suites, but still nice rooms. The bed was fantastic and the sheets are really high thread count. A number of little things are starting to show their age: grout in the shower, plumbing fixtures, and the central air made more noise than it should. Microwave, refer, and coffee maker (with Starbucks coffee) were handy. The restaurant breakfast is worth mentioning. The buffet looked good but I went for the menu. It was good and the service was great - attentive and fast. I might go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thanks for sending comments about your recent stay to Trip Advisor. It sounds like you had a very nice experience at our hotel. I do apologize for the few items you experienced during your stay. We have a great hotel and our location in the plaza area can't be beat. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We have stayed here several times, its a great, convenient location to the Plaza and getting around the city. That being said, this hotel needs to be thoroughly cleaned and the rooms updated. It is grimey. We had two rooms, and on this last visit, we checked into a room that had just been checked over by the housekeeping supervisor as he was walking out of our room, and it was still dirty. We asked for the visible food on the floor to be re-vacuumed and the bathroom to be re-cleaned. The phone and lamp were disgusting. Our other room across the hall had a leak behind the toilet for three days, and they just kept bringing towels to leave on the floor in back to soak it up. The hotel was busy, but we felt the valet service was poorly staffed, the club lounge is dirty,cramped, and not managed, and whoever was in charge of guest services during our visit was not available to answer the phone, ever. There are several great service oriented employees we encountered, but the hotel is lacking overall management and customer service and care. They are missing the details. We will choose other properties when we come back to town. Sad.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for sending your comments to Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay at the Sheraton Suites in Kansas City. I do apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. We definately do not want our guests to experience rooms that are not clean or have items that do not work properly in the room. I will address both of these areas and have them corrected. I do understand that some of the rooms are showing a little wear. The hotel will be undergoing a complete refresh during the first quarter of 2014 so you should be able to experience a new refreshed room on a future visit to the hotel. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I made reservations at the Sheraton as a surprise for my girlfriend. The staff at the hotel was wonderful and accommodated my needs and were very curtious. We were initially set up for the 14th floor facing the Plaza and when asked for a higher floor were upgraded to the 16th on the club level, a pleasant surprise. The location in proximatey to the Plaza was great and allowed us to walk there. The beds were a little firm for my liking but overall my stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you for your recent comments to Trip Advisor on your stay at the Sheraton Suites. I was happy to ready you had a pleasant stay at the hotel and that the desk staff gave you an upgrade based on your request. We have a great hotel in a great location and I am glad you had a nice weekend visit. Thanks for staying with us. Hope to see you again on a future visit to the Kansas City Plaza area.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sheraton to attend a wedding and to also celebrate our anniversary. The week prior to our travel date, I had contacted someone at the front desk to ask if we could check in an hour early, as we would have been traveling for 3+hours and would need to freshen up before continuing on to our neice's wedding. However, once we arrived we found that this was not the case. We actually arrived at 2:45pm (15 minutes prior to when actual check-in is allowed) only to find that not only was our room not available, but a room promised to be available to us was not. In fact, we ended up having to wait an extra half an hour to check in, causing us to be late to the wedding, missing most of the ceremony.

On to the rooms, the rooms were very clean, but outdated. There were stains on the furniture and carpet and in the tub. The woodwork (tables, night stands, desk, etc.) were extremely scratched and dull. There was hair on the ceiling in our bathroom, the sheets and towels needed replaced as they looked very well used and had a gray tint to them. There were stains on our comforter on our bed and the keypad on our cordless phone in our room was barely readable. That being said, we did like the layout of the room, we had a 2-room king suite overlooking the Plaza (beautiful view!). The bed and pillows were comfy, the free water was a nice touch as was the t.v. location in our bedroom. We stayed in a club floor room, which gives you access to the club lounge - free drinks, snacks and breakfast. We found it handy to be able to grab snacks or drinks before hitting the Plaza. Keep in mind that if you are one of the last to arrive for breakfast, regardless of what time it is, you may not have as many options. My husband and I arrived to the club room for breakfast both mornings only to find that all the fruit, plates and silverware were gone. We had to stand around and wait for plates and silverware and the fruit that was promised to be brought up, never arrived.

Last, I must make a comment on the staff. There were three such people that we feel need to be mentioned because it was these individuals that helped make up for the negatives of our stay. First, Erica - this young lady did everything in her power to try and find us a room upon our arrival (even though she was not successful), she was also very resourceful in helping us find our way around the Plaza and even located a cell phone charger for my husband, since he had left his at home. Erica worked the entire weekend we were there and was always available if we had any questions or problems. She was a very friendly and delightful person! Next was Michael - we used the valet service for parking our vehicle - Michael was a delight to work with and get to know. In fact on our last day, he offered the hotels private driver to drive us around, instead of having to get a cab. Granted we still had to pay for this driver, but he was much nicer, the car was cleaner and he got us around quicker than the Yellow Cab Co. (we had a horrible experience with this company while in KS - DO NOT USE!). This brings me to Kaye - my husband and I ended up having vehicle trouble while on our stay - we ended up having to drop it off at a local Firestone. Before leaving the hotel, we asked Kaye to please call us a cab and have it waiting for us at Firestone - which she did promptly. However, after 45 minutes of waiting for our cab we found out that they had gotten the address wrong (the cab company, not Kaye). Kaye could not handle the cab company, but did call the restaurant where we had reservations, to please hold them until we could get there, which fortunately they did. Eventually we got back to the hotel to freshen up before our anniversary dinner and made our reservations. (Highly reccomend The Capital Grille - outstanding food and service!!) The cab company never did make up for their mistakes.

Room Tip: Ask for a club floor room with a balcony and Plaza view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thanks for sending a response to trip advisor on your recent stay at the hotel. I was glad to read the staff at the hotel did a good job of taking care of your requests. We have a very dedicated staff at the hotel and they try to always exceed our guests expectations. I do apologize for the delay in getting into your room and for the few condition concerns you noted with your room. We are making many room improvements at the hotel and we hope you can return to see the changes. Thanks for your business. We hope to see you again on a future visit to Kansas City.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was a little worried about staying here after reading some of the reviews. We wanted to stay around the Plaza so we decided to take a chance. Our room was on the 5th floor. It was very clean and spacious. No stains or broken furniture. We liked the set up of the room. We could walk to everything. The pool was clean. There were only a few minor negatives. It was Labor Day weekend yet there were only 2 people working the front desk and one valet parker. We had one serving of regular coffee in our room so we asked the front desk for more. None ever came. The next morning we called the desk again. Someone finally brought us 1 and said that was all she could find. We chose the "green" option that said if you put the hanger on your door to not have your room cleaned you got a $5 beverage voucher. We got nothing. One thing out of their control - the pool is in complete shade until around 1:00. All in all it was a good weekend.

Room Tip: Our room was at the end of the main hallway by the stairwell. It was very quiet. We didn't hea...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for sending a response to trip advisor on your recent stay at the hotel. I was glad to read you had a good stay at the hotel. I do apologize for the few delays on getting items delivered to your room. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again on a future visit to the Kansas City Plaza area.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I've stayed at the Sheraton Suites in Columbus, Ohio on several occasions and that's what I've used to set the bar for the chain. While the location of this Sheraton Suites is great, the property needs a renovation.

One of the elevators from the underground garage never functioned on two different nights I stayed. The mattress in the fold out couch is what you would expect - not very comfortable. The carpet on the guest room floors needs updated as do the doors on the club level (maybe a paint job?) to the lounge. From what I understand, the offerings in the club level lounge have improved with the new general manager at the property. Hopefully this person will start to turn things around for the property.

The rooms do have a empty mini refrigerator for your use, which is nice along with a sink above it that is separate from the bathroom. The televisions in the room DO feature HD programming. In other reviews of hotels, I've mentioned this where a property will have nice, new HDTV, but they do not have HD programming available to watch. You're watching standard definition on an HDTV. Not really an improvement, but that's not the case at the Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza (small observation? Maybe. But it's the details in life.).

The internet seemed to go in and out when I connected using my iPad.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for sending a response to trip advisor on your recent stay at our hotel. I was glad to read you are seeing some of the improvements we have been making to the property. We plan to continue to improve the room conditions and offerings so you should continue to see improvement at the hotel. We appreciate you choosing to stay at the hotel and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at this location during solely for a business trip. I was very impressed at the customer service offered to me by the front desk staff, the location of the hotel, and the complimentary breakfast for Hilton Honors members. The hotel is located in the middle of an upscale shopping district, and good for those that like to walk! There are fountains sprinkled throughtout the shopping district, with places to eat, and shopping! You will not find much of a bargain if you are a bargain shopper in this area but always fun to look!

Room Tip: I chose a room away from the elevator, city view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Thanks for posting your comments on Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay at our hotel. It was nice to read you had a great stay at our hotel and a nice visit to the Kansas City Plaza Area. Our hotel is in a great location within walking distance to many shops and restaurants. We apprecaite your business and look forward to a return visit.