“Decent, but could use some work.”

Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza
Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The room was decent. A little dated, but clean, and with a very comfortable bed. Where it failed was in the area of amenities. No bath mat? Interesting. Coffee maker, yes. Coffee cup? No. You can't brew a steaming cup of coffee into a 6 ounce flimsy plastic cup. Too bad I didn't notice until 10 minutes before I was ready to leave the room. Cordless phone receiver? Good idea, since these are suites. Would have been a better idea if the receiver had worked. It didn't. I ordered a wake-up call using the speakerphone, but the call never came. Not sure whether to blame that one on the front desk or the phone battery, but either way it was not a good experience.

The public areas were good, with the exception of the pool area. The hot tub was not inviting, and the entire indoor pool area was very run-down in appearance.

Maid service was very late, and poor at that. On day one the housekeeper on my floor acted like she was doing me a favor by moving her cart (which was dead center in the hallway) so that I could maneuver the luggage cart to my room. She didn't say a word. Instead, she huffed, glared at me, and moved it slowly to the side. My room was not made up until well after 5 pm each day, and guess what? No coffee and no coffee cup.

Long story short, a comfortable bed and a good location don't make up for poor customer service. A hotel guest should be made to feel like a valued guest. This stay didn't live up to expectations.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
FredDeLaRosa, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

You are absolutely correct as you should feel valued as a guest and we should have met that expectation and I apologize that we did not. Please feel free to contact us directly so we can invite you back and experience the type of service you expect and deserve.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This hotel needs updating: the bed my wife and mother-in-law got here was sloped toward the middle, making for a very poor night's sleep. When they checked in, the front-desk guy was not very friendly. There was no toilet paper in the bathroom when we got to the room. The indoor and outdoor pool area is nice and the hotel is within walking distance of the plaza.

Room Tip: Don't pay for parking at this hotel; there is a free parking ramp across the street (just be car...
1  Thank coolmacdude
FredDeLaRosa, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Hello coolmacdude!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor! We appreciate the feedback regarding your experience and will share your comments with our team.

I apologize for the poor experiences you described regarding the service of our staff and the bed in the suite. We strive to provide a friendly and welcoming experience with all our guests as well as comfortable accommodations. I am sorry we were unable to do so. Please feel free to contact me at 816-931-4400 if you wish to discuss further.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I spent 4 nights here for business and overall it was a good stay. The room was such as having a king bed separated from the living room with a set of french doors. The door's windows were only covered with sheers, so if you plan on having total privacy between the living room and the bedroom, don't. I was the only one in my room, so that did not make a difference to me.

The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean and did not show signs of age as other users have mentioned, and the living room was large enough to chill out after a long day of meetings.

My breakfast was paid for, so I can't speak to its cost. However, I found it mostly fulfilling and enjoyable with a selection of both cold and hot breakfast foods. The only problem I had was on the last morning, there was different cook and they were apparently not ready for the 6am customers. This led to a bit of a wait for some eggs and apparently the different cook had a different estimation on when bacon was "done" (this morning was a bit extra crispy).

The location of the hotel is great with it sitting right in the end of the Country Club Plaza district with many restaurants, bars, and shops easily within walking distance. This worked out great for me as we were shuttled everywhere and did not have a car.

I'd be happy if we get booked there again for our next trip to KC.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
FredDeLaRosa, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Hello Eyebolt!

Thank you for the review on TripAdvisor! We really appreciate the comments regarding your experience with us!

I am glad you experienced clean, comfortable accommodations and you enjoyed our Country Club Plaza location. We hope to see you the next time your group is in town!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We came to this hotel through a recommendation of local friends.
However, we had a reserved late time checkin - 11:00 pm - when we got to the reception desk the girl told us that they can't respect our guranteed reservation because the hotel is : FULLY BOOKED ! We were shocked... they told us that there is a convention in town and had no choice but to send us for one night to a far Holiday Inn... To make the story short we couldn't do nothing and went there. The next day came back and they were thrilled to appeace us. We stayed there another 4 nights and it was ok. I'll not come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Yharary

Hello Yharary!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor! We appreciate your comments as we appreciate all feedback we receive from our guests.

I apologize about having to relocate you during your first night, but I am glad you enjoyed your stay the next four nights.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We are SPG Gold members and decided on the Sheraton due to its location to the plaza and a weekend family event. Check-in went fine. We were booked into a 4th floor room, not the SPG floor. Not sure why that occurred so I asked. It is reserved for SPG Platinum. That is the first time that has happened at any hotel I have stayed at. The rooms on the 4th floor faced the roof top AC units. It did not pose any problem with noise. The rooms are ready for an update and quite frankly I cannot believe they book out the rooms with massive stains on the floors (see pic). We had 3 rooms booked to include my parents and sister's family. My parent's room had a stain that was the worst I have ever seen in a hotel room. Our room was had mold in the shower handle (see pic) and the baseboard by the pocket door was icky (see pic). The beds were ok and provided a good nights sleep. The breakfast buffet was good ($16). Hot tub was closed while we were there and the restrooms in the pool area also need refurbished. Not sure I would choose to stay here again. Stayed at the Westin one year ago and enjoyed it more plus we got the SPG floor.

Room Tip: Rooms are a suite...with a living room and bedroom. The small fridge and microwave are handy.
1  Thank laurad_staffco
FredDeLaRosa, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Hello laurad_staffco!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor as we appreciate all feedback we receive from our guests.

I apologize your experience was not up to your or our standards and we will share your comments with our team as we work to resolve the issues you mentioned. Please feel free to contact myself if you wish to discuss this matter or any other concerns you may have.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had last stayed in this hotel in 1995 when I was in town for business. I remembered it being very nice with a great location right on the end of the Plaza, so decided to book a weekend with the family as we were meeting other family members from Wichita and Columbia.

It's still a very nice hotel, although could use some renovation. The location is excellent, Right at the end of the plaza on W 47th Street. Close to plenty of shopping and good restaurants.

Staff: All were friendly and had smiles.

Check-in: Had a minor issue when I checked-in. I am a member of Starwood Preferred Guest Gold and with that, you get access to the club lounge which has daily snacks drinks, etc. After I checked in, I asked the guy about the lounge and he said "It doesn't show as part of your reservation." I told him I was gold SPG and it was noted when I reserved the room, and he acted like he had to go out of his way to 'add' it on, and gave us this little white card and a manager letter stating that because of a lot of people being at the hotel, they would be having it in the ballroom on the lobby level. Was nice to have access to some quick breakfast / drinks in the morning.

Lobby: Very nice and up to date. Starbucks coffee available to guests in the morning, and they had 2 different fruit-infused ice water containers in the afternoon. 4 very fast elevators, which was nice because there were 18 floors. One of the elevators even went down to the garage level which was nice and convenient if you had to go to your car and for packing / unpacking.

Pool: Nice outdoor / indoor pool with lots of loungers. They even had wait service for drinks if you wanted one. Pool seemed to be pretty clean and lots of people were enjoying it this past weekend.

Room: There were some things we liked about the set-up and some we didn't. We really liked the fact that it was a real 'suite'. There were actual french doors separating the bedroom from the living room. Worked out well because my son slept on the pull-out and my daughter was next to him in the pack-n-play. We wished that there was a separate door for the toilet. The bathroom had 2 doors - once to the living room and a sliding door to the bedroom. But nothing separating the actual toilet / shower area from the sink area. We liked having the mini-fridge and the microwave. Made it convenient for drinks / leftovers. Floor / walls need some updating cleaning. Lots of spots and noticed our feet were pretty dark after walking on the floors. Some areas where wallpaper is separating on the wall.

Garage is dark and there's a big sign that says that the hotel is not responsible for any theft / damage to the cars. It needs more lighting and maybe some security. I'd be scared if I was a woman by myself walking in there.

Did not eat at the restaurant, other than the food they set out for the SPG guest breakfast (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, potatoes) - which was OK. Nice juices and lots of different types of milk (boxes).

All in all, a nice Sheraton in a good location. It could use some updating as it is not up to par with some of the other Sheratons we've stayed in, but we would stay here again.

1  Thank 1travelinman

Thank you for the detailed review of your experience, 1travelinman! We sincerely appreciate it!

Thank you for all of the comments regarding your stay with us! I appreciate the compliments on our staff, our Plaza location, the lobby, pool area and our two room suite.

Thank you for staying with us! We hope to see you during your next visit to Kansas City.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night, traveling for work. Upon arrival at 10am, my room was ready! I was greeted at the front desk by Kevin, a very nice gentleman, who checked me in right away. He was personable and seemed to truly care that I enjoy my stay. I saw him a couple more times during my short stay, and he always spoke, even recommending a great lunch place.

My room was a nice size, and very clean. The bed was comfortable, and I appreciated the complimentary bottle of water. I did have a tough time with the air conditioning. Even on the warmest setting, it was very cold in the room. My solution was to keep turning it on and off, which made for a restless night sleep. I would have mentioned it to the staff if I was staying longer, but I didn't feel it was necessary with a one night stay.
I was on the Concierge Level which gets you access to the lounge for complimentary breakfast and an afternoon reception. I thought I would take advantage of the breakfast which started at 6am. I even changed my transportation to leave a few minutes after 6am (instead of right at 6) so I could get a bite to eat. Unfortunately, there were only granola bars and whole fruit out at this time, so I grabbed one of each, and a coffee in the lobby.
I would stay here again.

Hello Raganreview!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor! We always appreciate when our guests provide feedback!

Thank you for the compliments on Kevin and the cleanliness of your two room suite. I also appreciate the comments regarding the AC unit and the Club Lounge. We will share your comments with our Engineering and Club teams to ensure we provide the experience we strive to present to all of our guests.