“Sleepless in KC”

Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza
Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We arrived at hotel to check in and drop suitcases in room just before going to dinner with friends. The room’s décor was initially appealing at first. But upon returning from dinner we noticed that:
• Wallpaper was coming off from walls behind entry door
• Bath floor had sticky black substance in various spots
• Carpet had stains and was poorly vacuumed
• Black marks on door trim and walls
• Mattress was soft and sunk toward the middle
• Sofa looked old and sunk toward the middle with two people sitting on it
• Tables had white stains on them and were chipped and beat up

I called the manager that night who offered to move us to another room for our second night (the hotel was full that night). Since the bed ended up being so uncomfortable (contributing to a sleepless night), we decided to make the change the next day. She also offered to give us a discount on the room, as well as an “upgrade.” I finally had to ask what an upgrade was and she said complimentary breakfast and cocktails at 6:00. The latter made no difference to us, as we were to be at a family gathering the next night, but breakfast would be nice. However, she failed to tell me that the breakfast was on the 18th floor. So when we had breakfast in the restaurant, we had to pay for that anyway and our flight out the last day left too early to take advantage of the breakfast offer on the second day.

Although we were given discount, it really did not make much difference given breakfast charges that I thought was a part of the “upgrade”. There was no follow up to our experience. It seemed as though the manager went through the motions to give us monies off, but there was poor communication and zero follow up on our experience.

I certainly expect more from the quality this hotel should be and more that our reservation was part of the Starwood guest membership. They need to maintain the facilities better given the status of their hotel chain and not let bed mattresses and sofas get so old and beat up. (My husband joked that the sofa looked liked a used sofa someone had picked up from the side of the road.)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
EdStevens, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Thank you for sharing your feed back with us.

We understand that travel can sometimes be complicated and uncomfortable, it is always our goal to ensure that our guests leave pleased with their experience. Unfortunately we were not able to provide that to you on your recent stay at the hotel. We hope that you were able to enjoy the Country Club Plaza which is only 24 steps from our front door or experience one of our Signature Cocktails in The Gallery Lounge. Our hotel is excited about the several improvements that we will be making this year to better serve our guests. With that in mind we hope that we are able to host you on your next visit to Kansas City.

Ed Stevens, General Manager

Reviewed April 8, 2012

I checked into the hotel on a Thursday. There was free parking directly across the street from the hotel. It was in an area that's very safe and well-light.

The hotel's location is fantastic. It's at one end of the Country Club Plaza. It's close to all of the splendor of the Country Club Plaza and only a 15 minute walk from the Nelson-Atkins art museum (the purpose of my visit).

Upon entering the hotel I was greeted by the friendly doorman and the lady at the desk was very welcoming. Their customer service was a fantastic start! We got a room with 2 beds (919) and went up to our room. The lobby is small and very cozy. I loved the computers that they had for use. A typical good idea from Sheraton.

Unfortunately, this Sheraton is not on par with other Starwood hotels that I have stayed at. This one's rooms were drab, the tub drained very slowly (we were always standing in water), the carpets were clean as was the bedding, but the walls were marked up (there was a huge dent in the wall where the doorknob hits) and all of the papers on the desk were scuffed with fingerprints and wrinkled. It looked tacky. The TV in the bedroom didn't always connect to the channels as well.I was, however, very disappointed to arrive and find urine in our toilet. That was unacceptable.

The second day our room was nicely cleaned and we were happy. However, for the third day we arrived and housekeeping had not touched our room. I was very disappointed. We had no clean towels or shampoo, and our coffees were not replenished, and the beds were not remade. I have never encountered this at a hotel before. We didn't "opt out" of getting our room cleaned nor did we receive the $5 credit that one supposedly gets when they do opt out. I called down to the front desk, and they brought some up. There was no apology.

We did not dine at the hotel, so I can't tell you about that. I usually don't expect too much from hotels as I have stayed in hotels of various classes in different companies, but this one unfortunately didn't live up to any of the Starwoods I have sayed in before (in Chicago, Boston, Montreal, Paris, and Rome). I'm not sure I could recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
EdStevens, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Thank you for your response. It was nice to see that you took advantage of our great location. I always enjoy excellent comment about our friendly staff. Each year the hotel does capital improvement projects. Again, thanks for choosing the Sheraton Suites and we’ll look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Ed Stevens,

Reviewed March 17, 2012

If your KC stay is centered on the Plaza and Westport, this is a good choice. Great location in the heart of the Plaza, and within walking distance of many shops, restaurants and watering holes. The rooms have a bedroom and sepate living room with fridge, microwaves and pullout couch. The rooms are quiet, but could use an update. We didn't eat at the hotel, but the bartender, Christian, is friendly and is very knowledgable about restaurants and attractions. Self parking is in a large garage, and is $12/day.

Stayed: March 2012
EdStevens, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel about your recent stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel and the city during your time here. We also appreciate the comments regarding our bartender who does an “outstanding” job talking care of our guests.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next return visit.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

This hotel was a great disappointment to us. On the first night, when we tried to call room service we discovered that the phones did not work. The technician could not easily fix them so we used our cells to call the hotel to ask that they call room service. The technician was to come back the next day when we were taking the grandkids to the zoo. Once we got ready for bed we found that the water at the tub was barely warm. This was surprising because the sink was hot. Second day, when we got back from the zoo. There were two new phones in place with new instructions cards by each. This was done obviously to fool us because the phones did not work and the technician who came up said it had been logged that they could not be repaired. No hot water after six hours at the zoo on the second night. At this time we were offerred another room but with the visiting grandkids building lego buildings this was not a good option. Also, if you say you have a car when you check in they charge $12/day when everyone else in KC parks there for free. The security bars closing the garage are always open. On the thrid night, we still had no hot water and no phone and were paying $12/night to park. When we got home, we emailed manager who emailed us to please call. We have and he has not returned our messages. Next time we'll try the Hampton next door.

Room Tip: Before unpacking check phone and hot water. Also, say you have no car when asked.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
EdStevens, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

When reviewing your comments readers should be aware that every reasonable effort was made to correct issues you had during your stay. While we regret that these instances occurred it is fair to acknowledge that the first step our engineering team took after you declined to move rooms was to bring new telephones to the room to narrow down the possible issue which consequently was more complex than an in room service call could alleviate, this was proper procedure and not an attempt to “fool” as you suggest in your review. Furthermore, I find it fair to also acknowledge that I responded to your e-mail communication to ask to further discuss this matter over the phone as this was a matter that I felt required further discussion. While I empathize with your inability to move rooms for the nights of your stay I was happy to learn we were able to provide an appropriately reduced room rate for you to compensate for your room issues. We value you as a guest and find it unfortunate that there were unforeseen issues with your stay. Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Once again, I'm a business and personal traveler that averages 6-8 hotel nights per month. On this trip, the bride joined me, so we decided to try something different (than a casino, since she enjoys her penny slots) and stay in or near the Plaza.

The room, in her words, was more pleasurable than the Bellagio; the standard by which she and the daughters were spoiled several years ago.

The room was fantastic.....and as it is with any hotel, it's the people that make or break the joint; ya know? The valet attendant made the experience second to none, and we didn't even use him. He's from a foreign country, for some reason an interior country in Africa sticks in my mind. He overheard a few questions we asked, and dived in with some comments. His beaming personality immediately grabbed us. He saw us a few more times over the two nights, and went out of his way to follow up with his restaurant and fun recommendations.

Watch out Sheraton...I may try to hire this guy.

The hotel is fine over all.......the room was perfect.....had I paid full price (other than Priceline), I'd have been bent paying for wireless internet. Sorry, it's not worth it...and you're not making a profit on it anyway, folks.

Reasonably good location on the west end of the Plaza.......

You won;t be disappointed even at full price.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
EdStevens, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

I am thrilled to hear about your stay here in Kansas City - especially your comments regarding one of our Concierges staff they are truly consummate service professionals and have great passion for taking care of the guests. I have passed your comments on to them.

Thank you for sending your message - it is through feedback from our guests that we gauge if we are meeting our service goals.

General manager

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Stopped her on a cross country trip, with our dog, and had a terrific experience. The area is a very nice one with lots of shops and restaurants in walking distance. The hotel bills itself as a "suites" hotel - and it is suite-like but doesn't have the full kitchen many do. It has a fridge and microwave, which is nice.

The front desk staff was REALLY good. Very friendly and efficient, offering information and suggestions beyond the norm. For example, they told us where a nearby park was to walk our dog. We had breakfast there at the buffet and had lots of goodies to choose from - a great spread of fruit, cereals and hot foods as well. It got our day off to a good start.

Overall, we found the hotel staff to be very friendly and responsive, and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
EdStevens, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Thank you for your feedback! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, we appreciate the positive comments. We strive to make every guest feel right at home and their stay excellent. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed February 10, 2012

You can find a lot better value and quality than this hotel. First, I booked a spg preferred guest floor but was told at registration that those floors have been sold out for days and they only guarantee a room not a type of room. Then why give a choice at booking? Next, our phones did not work and the front desk was not at all helphful. We ate in the resturant since our room included breakfast. Breakfast was ok but the ceiling leaked on us. This hotel is in desperate need of remodeling. I travel a lot and this confirms that Sheraton hotels are on the bottom of my list of quality and value.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
EdStevens, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2012

Thank you for sharing your feed back with us.

The hotel does guarantee a type of room when reserving on the hotel website unfortunately not all booking channels; websites or services do not have that availability. Unfortunately I am not sure how your reservation was made. In regards to our SPG floors this is available complimentary for all SPG Gold Level or Higher members and there is never a fee associated with these room as they are specifically for members of SPG. Since you referenced an upgraded room type, I can only assume that you are referencing our Club Level guestrooms as these rooms are available for upgrade fee based on availability when booking on our website or through the hotel reservation number. I apologize for any confusion or complications this may have caused.

In regards to the “leaking ceiling”, We have researched with the hotel maintenance and restaurant staff and found that we have not received any complaints of this type.

We understand that travel can sometimes be complicated and uncomfortable, it is always our goal to ensure that our guests leave pleased with their experience. I would look forward to the opportunity to speak further in regards to your stay. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Thank you once again and we hope we are able to host you on your next visit to Kansas City.

Ed Stevens, General Manager