“Best chili rellano”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 10, 2017 via mobile

One of my favorite Mexican dishes is chili rellano but most of the time they are deep fried and way too cheesy. The rellanos at Ixtapa are the best that I've had anywhere! I had the vegetarian which are filled with mushrooms, corn and a mild cheese that did not dominate. They use poblano chilies which are meaty and mild. There is no breading or batter to detract from the taste of the chili and the filling. I like a spicer sauce so I went for the tomatillo sauce rather than the mild sauce on the menu. It was the right choice and added just the right amount of heat to the dish. My husband had the street tacos with pork and he said they were delicious. I used one of his corn tortillas to wrap a bit of rellano in and they were so fresh and had that great corn flavor that makes a great tortilla. The margarita was good and the service was excellent. Our waitress was helpful in making suggestions for our Southwest tastebuds. The salsa with the chips was too bland for our tastes but she brought us another sauce that had a good punch of heat to it. I wish I lived near this restaurant as I would be a regular here.

Reviewed May 2, 2017 via mobile

The waiter told us that this restaurant specializes in "non-heavy" Mexican food & he was right. Everything was prepared in a healthy way with minimal frying. I tried the vegetarian chili rellenos. They were delicious & non-fried, stuffed with tasty marinated mushrooms & other veggies. Very unique but delicious. I tried dishes of several others & all were equally tasty. Next time, I'm trying the shrimp dish with what seemed a pesto/coconut milk sauce. Smelled great & tasted like Thai fusion Mexican food. This small, unassuming restaurant is much better than other "TexMex" choices in the area

Reviewed February 14, 2017 via mobile

First time try on Valentines Day for a special dinner.Atmosphere was very nice and quaint. Large menu with unique selections as well as "Tex Mex" regular items. High quality home made food! Well worth the visit, I will return!

Alejandro H, Owner at Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2017

Happy we could make Valentine's Day special for you - always a treat to hear from a new customer and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you!

Reviewed February 13, 2017

Delicious, authentic, Mexican cuisine. We have been there several times and tried something different each time. Each time we have been impressed!

So glad you come in to see us and that we continue to delight your taste buds! Yo know we love to make recommendations. See you again soon!

Reviewed January 28, 2017

Stopped in for lunch, it is a small restaurant but nice and clean. Seating was not an issue even though there were several patrons. The service was the reason I did not go 5 stars. One guy trying to work the entire area and he struggled. My order was not correct but I ate it anyway. The food tasted great but I would have liked a larger portion.
This is a more traditional Mexican cuisine versus the more common tex-mex. It is a little more expensive than the standard tex-mex that is on every corner but you are getting a more authentic meal.
If you want something closer to "real" Mexican, this is the place to go. Real salsa, queso, and entrees. Even the slow service made me feel as though I was in Mexico.
I would definitely eat here again.

1  Thank Wade R
Alejandro H, Owner at Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2017

Thank you for coming in and for the feedback - being short staffed is a struggle. We apologize for that inconvenience (and for you receiving the wrong order!) but are so glad you enjoyed your food. We are authentic and are glad that that part was a pleasure to you. Please join us again soon!