“Trying out Ixtapa in Shawnee, KS”

Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #114 of 1,429 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We tried this place out with a Groupon. We were pleasantly surprised. Seating was quick. Service was quick. The Friday night special is a burrito for $6.95 - great value and great burrito. Might not be a place I want to frequent but worth going once in a while and 10 times better than another newly opened Mexican restaurant a little east of the Ixtapa location.

Alejandro H, Owner at Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for your review and for the business - although I wanted to make sure you were reviewing the right Ixtapa - we are the one in Kansas City, MO - not Shawnee. Was it our restaurant you were at? If so - thank you! If not, well then perhaps you will come visit us sometime! :)

There are newer reviews for Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We first wandered into Ixtapa a few years ago after encountering a 45 minute wait at (insert chain restaurant) in Zona Rosa. We noticed a little hole in the wall place across the road and decided to give it a whirl. One of the better decisions I've made. We've periodic return visits since. They're cooking with heart (and flavor!)

Nothing specific to recommend, because I've enjoyed the variety of meals I've had here. Now if I can only get my spouse to share the huitlacoche with me.

Alejandro H, Owner at Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for your continued business and for the review! So glad you wandered into our establishment and that you continue to enjoy our authentic Mexican fare. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We purchased a couple of "two for lunch" groupons for Ixtapa, and then realized they do not offer their lunch menu on the weekends. We do not eat out during the week, so we planned to use the credit toward our bill on the weekend. The server was really nice and said if we orded off the dinner menu he would give us the same type of deal. It ended up costing us a little bit more, but we were happy they would work with us since it was our own fault for not reading the menu clearly stating lunch was Monday-Friday 11-3:00pm. The food was more authentic than our usual tex mex spot and seemed fresher too. It was a good change from our other spot. The service was very prompt and although it took longer to get our meals I attribute this to the fresher tasting dishes. Nothing sitting back in the kitchen just wating to be spooned onto our plates. I didn't have the rushed feeling here that I get at other Mexican restarants in the area. It reminded us of a little spot we ate at while in Cozumel years ago. We will be back again as we have another groupon to use. We are looking forward to our visit again.

1  Thank midwestcouple_12
Alejandro H, Owner at Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for your business and for the review! So glad we could accommodate your groupon and pleased to hear that you were flexible with us as well. Glad you enjoyed the flavors of our cuisine. Hope you will come by again soon so we can tempt you with more dishes. Look for us on facebook and twitter to see upcoming events and specials!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My spouse and I visited on a Friday evening. Not too busy, probably because of the recent snow storm the day before. We were seated at once and the waitress quickly delivered our drinks. We placed our order and our food was delivered in record time. The waiter warned us about the hot plates when he brought our food. My Chili Verde Burrito was a little warmer than room temperature, however, the cheese was melted on the tortilla, even though it wasn't very warm - which I don't know how that happened. My beans and rice were just warmer than room temperature also. The plate was hot - warmer than the food, but I could touch it, not like in some places. My spouse found his food the same way - somewhat warm, but certainly not hot. I think the food (not the rice- which was dry) would have been good, had it been served hot. We did not opt for dessert - just paid the bill and left. One more note - the snow around the entrance to the resaurant could have been shoveled much better. There was a little snow removed in front of the restaurant, but that was all - it was climb through the snow bank or walk throught the water in the parking lot to get to the restaurant.

Alejandro H, Owner at Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for your business and for the review. I am glad you enjoyed the food but sincerely apologize for the temperature of the food! We take all of our reviews seriously and discuss them with our staff so I will certainly mention this one. I will also keep the snow removal in mind for the future because we need our customers to be able to walk in without incident! Hopefully you will give us another try soon. Thank you again.

Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We bought the groupon to try Ixtapa. I honestly don't know how they are still in business. My food was only ok but the portion size was small compared to the price. I think I might have had 4 ounces of chicken on my plate. I left hungry! Also, they charge extra for everything. We got one tiny bowl of chips and a single serving of salsa. It's .75 for more salsa and they charge you for to go boxes if you actually want to take anything out of the place. I'd go to taco bell next time and save myself $40. Seriously, if you want good Mexican check out Rancho Grande in Parkville. It's better food, better service and they don't nickel and dime you to death.

1  Thank Wildcat1580
Alejandro H, Owner at Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for your business and for the review. I am sorry you had a negative experience with us and wanted you to know that we take all of our reveiws seriously and do discuss them with our staff. We are always striving to improve ourselves and our restaurant. Again, I appreciate your honesty and only hope you will give us another try sometime in the future. Thank you