“Food was not hot, but the plate was?”

Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #98 of 1,422 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Kansas City, Missouri
“Food was not hot, but the plate was?”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My spouse and I visited on a Friday evening. Not too busy, probably because of the recent snow storm the day before. We were seated at once and the waitress quickly delivered our drinks. We placed our order and our food was delivered in record time. The waiter warned us about the hot plates when he brought our food. My Chili Verde Burrito was a little warmer than room temperature, however, the cheese was melted on the tortilla, even though it wasn't very warm - which I don't know how that happened. My beans and rice were just warmer than room temperature also. The plate was hot - warmer than the food, but I could touch it, not like in some places. My spouse found his food the same way - somewhat warm, but certainly not hot. I think the food (not the rice- which was dry) would have been good, had it been served hot. We did not opt for dessert - just paid the bill and left. One more note - the snow around the entrance to the resaurant could have been shoveled much better. There was a little snow removed in front of the restaurant, but that was all - it was climb through the snow bank or walk throught the water in the parking lot to get to the restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
Alejandro H, Owner at Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for your business and for the review. I am glad you enjoyed the food but sincerely apologize for the temperature of the food! We take all of our reviews seriously and discuss them with our staff so I will certainly mention this one. I will also keep the snow removal in mind for the future because we need our customers to be able to walk in without incident! Hopefully you will give us another try soon. Thank you again.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Don't bother”
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We bought the groupon to try Ixtapa. I honestly don't know how they are still in business. My food was only ok but the portion size was small compared to the price. I think I might have had 4 ounces of chicken on my plate. I left hungry! Also, they charge extra for everything. We got one tiny bowl of chips and a single serving of salsa. It's .75 for more salsa and they charge you for to go boxes if you actually want to take anything out of the place. I'd go to taco bell next time and save myself $40. Seriously, if you want good Mexican check out Rancho Grande in Parkville. It's better food, better service and they don't nickel and dime you to death.

1 Thank Wildcat1580
Alejandro H, Owner at Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your business and for the review. I am sorry you had a negative experience with us and wanted you to know that we take all of our reveiws seriously and do discuss them with our staff. We are always striving to improve ourselves and our restaurant. Again, I appreciate your honesty and only hope you will give us another try sometime in the future. Thank you
Iowa
“Yummo!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Had a chicken dish with pieces of sauteed green pepper and onion - awesome!!! The place was packed continually while we were there and a line out the door! Very clean and the service was very quick. Staff was very friendly.

Visited December 2012
Alejandro H, Owner at Ixtapa Mexican Cuisine, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your business and for your review - I am so glad that you enjoyed your dining experience with us and hope you will come back again soon.
Portland, Oregon
“One of my top choices when visiting Kansas City”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Excellent food-we live on the west coast and sadly, are constantly searching for authentic mexican food. We found delicious restaurants in San Diego and of all places, Kansas City! We spent an evening celebrating my Dad's birthday-complete with a wonderful poblamo mushroom relleno and tequila tasting. Some of the best food I have had, bar none. We were sitting in Ixtapa when we learned of my grandmother's passing. Two of our bigger family events took place here. The service is excellent, the food even better. When we visit Kansas City, this is always in our top five restaurants to visit.

Taste the tequila (solo-no margaritas!) and let the owner make you something NOT on the menu. Fantastic cuisine!

• Visited January 2012
Thank you for your business and for the glowing review. I am glad you make this a stop when you are in Kansas City and hope that continues. Thank you again, but sorry to hear of your loved ones' passing... we will toast her the next time you join us.
“If You Want Tex/Mex go Somewhere Else-This Place Rocks!”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Wonderful, friendly staff. Food is always superbly done. If you're not sure exactly what you'd like, just ask and the fine folks here will put together a delicious plate, whether it be pork, chicken, beef or vegey's. And, as far as the drinks are concerned, I defy anyone to find a better Margarita than the Ixtapa Margarita. This drink is perfectly balanced, reasonably priced and they don't cheat on the booze....what a concept.

• Visited November 2012
Thank you for your business and for the great review. So happy that you enjoyed your dining experience with us and hope you will be back again soon for another margarita. Thank you again