“Makes my mouth water!”

Add it.
Malay Cafe
Ranked #442 of 1,446 Restaurants in Kansas City
Reviewed March 10, 2012

This restaurant is a true hidden gem. It's tucked away in an obscure strip mall between a Pier One and a Honeybaked Ham. And I'm glad it's hidden, because that makes for near-immediate seating. That said, it has been around for at least 8 years, so they clearly have a loyal customer base.

First, the atmosphere. Quite frankly, I rated it as "excellent" because I think it's comically kitschy, and it contributes to the overall atmosphere. They play elevator music on a loop - I think they alternate between show tunes & easy listening. They have a lot of "traditional" Malaysian decor on the walls, as in a lot of kites and pictures of people flying kites. Per a conversation with the owner, apparently the kite flying is an excuse for Malaysian men to get together on the beach and drink. Ahh, culture.

Now, the food. It will change your life. It tastes like heaven. I usually order the chicken curry, which is the best curry I have had in KC. Also good are the (very popular) Royal Almond Chicken, chow fun, and my new favorite, the Singapore rice noodles. I have had many items on the menu, and all of them are excellent. Lunches have a great spicy soup that comes as a first course, and the portions are huge for both lunch and dinner - I always have leftovers (yippee!).

The owners and waitstaff are always very welcoming, and they truly want their customers to have a great dining experience at their restaurant. I always do, and although it's quite a hike to get there, I try to stop by at least once a month.

2  Thank Eknels

Reviewed January 4, 2012

Malay Cafe is one of my favorite restaurants when I get bored with chain restaurants. It's food is different and tasty. The Almond Chicken is my favorite. I also like their Summer Rolls.

Reviewed November 7, 2010

My wife and I. Have been here twice now and the jury is still out if I'll be back or not. It seems like were taking away from gossip hour when we come in. The food is very good, but I was taken aback when we ordered an app and it came out with three of the same and one totally different item.
I've never had any experience with Malaysian food, and have enjoyed all of our menu items here. Similar to thai, and there is a great thai place down the road from here.

1  Thank rusty_fwg
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Malay Cafe is a small, very friendly family owned resturant offering Malaysian cuisine. Malaysian cuisine is a hybrid of traditional Chinese, Indian and SE Asian flavors. It is not as hot as Thai food, but certainly can be very spicy. I recommend the Beef Randang.

1  Thank Phil_Pisciotta
Reviewed April 10, 2009

Try their Royal Almond Chicken. It is the best. I love this place and the people who run it are really nice and helpful

1  Thank travelershon