“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was excited to try an authentic Greek restaurant in KC. Arrived at 5:30 on a Saturday with no reservation. Only a few tables were taken. The owner walked off when we came in and someone came up front and started rifling through their reservation book. I said I would like a table for two and was told we would have to wait for the owner. No greeting by either. We were finally seated by the surly owner and ordered hummus and a gyro platter. The hummus was so salty we couldn't eat it. The gyro platter was literally meat and pita, that's it. It was also overly salted. Inedible. The service was terrible too and they were slow. Even with a $20 groupon the cost was still $17 - overpriced. Disappointing on all levels.

2  Thank GraceKansas

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I went to Tasso's with a group - about 25 people in total. It appears to be popular- they had a full house- but we were not impressed. With the exception of a couple of their dips, the food was ordinary. (The waitress, by the way, described the tzatziki to a member of our group as being made with sour cream. It's made with yogurt.)

The noise volume was moderate when we got there at 6. Shortly after the piped-in music was turned up and later the live music started and it became impossible to carry on a conversation. It got louder after dinner, with Tasso encouraging the crowd to clap and shout "Opa!" regularly. I'm a spontaneous person. I don't need someone to tell me when to be exuberant, and I wasn't feeling terribly exuberant since my husband had retreated to the car to escape the noise shortly after dinner.

A word about the live music: it's good but not much is Greek. They were heavy on Neil Diamond and once broke into "Hava Nagila". If you like live musicians playing popular songs and being able to linger after dinner and enjoy them, I guess this is the place for you.

When no check was forthcoming I asked the waitress if I could have our check. She replied that they had to prepare all the separate checks for our group by hand (they didn't have a computer to do it) and it would be 5 to 10 minutes. They arrived 20 minutes later. I immediately glanced at ours and tucked my credit card into the folder, planning to hand it back immediately, and the waitress had disappeared. Ten minutes later- still no waitress. I finally took my credit card back, stuffed cash in the folder, and left, half an hour after I'd first requested the check. Unfortunately I didn't have the small bills I needed and ended up overpaying by $5. I considered it a "get-out-of-jail" penalty.

My husband and I are pretty easygoing travelers/diners, but the combination of loud noise, ordinary food and slow service were dealbreakers for us.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This location was fun. The food is typical of Greece and the waitress was very good to us and accommodating given that we had 14 for dinner (with a reservation). For a Friday night it was not full, but KC had a huge street arts festival happening that night so the staff was surmising that many regulars were downtown. The roasted lamb leg was very tender and not at all greasy. The pastitsio was well made. The star were the mezethes - the tzatziki, humus, skordalia and a fourth were so good! The wine list of greek wines was well thought out and with a good range.

The belly dancer was good and had several women on the dance floor to participate in an impromptu lesson. The plate smashing was a little contrived but an obvious souce of money in front of the two-piece plus synthesizer combo.

The big surprise- the vocal cords of our waitress! She will not have to wait table for much longer!

Overall all - good Greek food and fun.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this place. I wanted to surprise my husband for his birthday and take him here. We love Greek food and my daughter and her husband surprised him with a visit. The service was mixed, the waitress explained the wine list very well and ask us if we were ready to order yet. We weren't yet and then had to wait for a long time for her to reappear. We ordered a bottle of wine and the Tasso’s Package Deal, which included app, salad and an entree. The food was okay. The pita bread, app, and salad were outstanding, but have mixed feelings about the rest of the entrees. I had the lamb chops, good.; my husband had the super combination- Gyro meat, tzatziki sauce, mousaka, pastitio & pita, my daughter had arnaki tasso-roasted lamb and my son-in law had the gyro plate- Gyro meat, tiropita, onion, tomato, tzatziki sauce & pita. They had a 2 men band that was fun, but didn't play enough Greek tunes. It would have been fun, if the waiters did a Greek dance. I guess we were too early for belly dancing that would have been fun too.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

My family recently met at Tasso's for dinner and I'm not sure which we enjoyed more, the food, the service or the enterainment. It was a Wednesday evening so it was definitely not crowded (my family tried to get in on a weekend awhile back and the wait was too long). Traditional Greek food was authentic and delicious. I was happy to see Saganaki on the menu. It's one of the few dishes (like creme brulee) that is as entertaining as it is delicious.

When we walked in, the lady who would be our server was singing with the musician and she was really great. I wish she'd gotten up there at least once more, but I think the patrons kept her busy.

The entertainer was irreverent, funny and ballsy. He was an equal opportunity offender. He had us cracking up. I rather enjoyed his music, too.

Long story short, we loved it and will definitely be back. All but my husband and I are Missourians, so they'll get to enjoy Tasso's for years to come. We'll have to wait until our next trip back from North Carolina.