“best for families with small children and no expectations to sleep” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center

Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #72 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
“best for families with small children and no expectations to sleep”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I came here with a small group, and do expect to sleep when I go to a hotel. The walls were so thin, that when the person next to me, closed their door , the wall shook. Took photos of the poor electrical and lighting. It was terrible. Old tv's, bad satellite system. The hotel was the worst I have ever had. Concession stand food is better! one female staff member at the pool was extremely rude, treated the adults (most of us were 40) like we were a pack of teenagers, I feel sorry for them! I will NEVER come here again. The water park was fun,, but you can buy a ticket there, and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: request a room not near someone traveling with a pet if you want to get sleep this is a pet friendly...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you enjoyed the waterpark as this is what the kids love and also that you enjoyed the restaurant. I am sorry that the room was not up to your standards. Hopefully overall your stay was enjoyable. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Omaha, NE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

The waterpark is fabulous. It helps at this hotel to be a Priority Club Platinum member, because they give you a 2 p.m. checkout instead of 11 a.m. The rooms are just average, however, for a Holiday Inn and surprisingly the family rooms only have double beds, not queens. That made for considerable coziness and not all that comfortable. I'd say it is a little pricey for what you get, but we went for a family get-together so the kids could enjoy the waterpark. The restaurant was not good. Service was very slow. They were out of several tap beers. The food was the kind that clogs arteries.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your comments on trip advisor. It is always great hearing from our Platinum members and you are correct having a 2pm check out makes all the difference a great benefit for the platinum members. Hopefully you will get to come back and visit us again soon!
Topeka, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

So I write reviews only when I'm really upset or something impresses me with something out of the ordinary. When an establishment does what I expect them to do I don't take the time to write a review.

So with that said, I'm a father of a seven year old boy and three year old daughter. My wife and I have been lucky and/or unlucky enough to stay at some of the nicest places in the world (600 Euro a night in Venice) to the worst streetside motel 70 miles from civilization in parts of this country I never want to return to for $30 a night.

It is those experiences that have left with with a level of expectation for any place I stay. The Holiday Inn we just returned from definately exceeded those expectations in almost every way.

We purposely chose this hotel based on the CoCo Key's water park. We have stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge as well as the CoCo Key's in Omaha Nebraska. This was a quick get away for the family on Spring Break just to spend time with the kids. We arrived early on Sunday and while check in time was still a couple hours off, the front desk let me know they did have a room and quickly got me there. The also explained how the hotel worked and were very pleasant.

We checked into the room which was very clean and modern. Remember folks, your staying at a large hotel, with a waterpark, next to Royals and Cheifs stadiums, and all for $150 a night including the waterpark passes. If you expected a bellhop to unpack your clothes for you and pour you a glass of wine, maybe you shouldn't stay here (or anywhere)

We went to the waterpark which was great. Like I said we have stayed at Great Wolf and CoCo Key's has every amenity that GW has except for the one big plus which is COCO provides life jackets for the little ones. Now this resort had a couple rules that were different from the one in Nebraska. Namely that in NE the hottub was adults only and it was enforced. KC the rule was children only acccompained by adults but was basically a bathtub of 50 kids and was not supervised or rules enforced at all. Also it seemed to me that both the NE COCO and GW Lodge spent a little more organization and time running the larger water slides. Both places had a system to run people down the slide as fast as possible yet being quite safe. The KC location the life gaurds seemed a bit lazy which caused the slide to back up a bit. This is just management and nothing that would keep me from coming back.

While my son and I checked out the water park my wife and daughter took a quick nap. When they reported to the waterpark my wife complained that our room was sandwhiched between the elevators and an obvious birthday party. I went to the front desk and explained the situation. (pay attention some of you) I was nice, smiling, explained what was going on, asked for a different room and then explained I was willing to wait if they needed time to figure it out.

They very quickly found us a new room, did so with a smile, and told me to come back if there were any problems. To me this is huge, it's customer service at it's best. As a matter of fact, every desk from the water park to the front desk was manned with some very good people. Truth be told I was a little amazed, the help seemed very young which is usually a bad sign but still did great.

I only have one complaint with this place........and that was the food. Actually quite a shame. First, lets talk about price. The price here was just fine and what you would expect from a hotel. It was the service and quality that was poor. We ate at the resturaunt on the first night and found out that kids eat free which is great. However the little sports bar/ rest. had a buffet that I almost never eat and then a large menu of fried foods and burgers. Not a entree in site. No steak, chicken just bad sports bar food. We ordered the cheese dip and a hamburger to share. We ordered the burger medium and I'm 99% sure somebody went and grabbed the patty from the buffet warmer as it was horrible. The cheese dip was average for a bar.

Heres something I can't understand - This goes for every staduim, amusement park, and hotel chain. When you charge $20+ for a pizza, why can't it be good pizza. If Pizza hut can do it for half the price why can't you do it for double. We had the pizza in the amusement park and it was HORRIBLE. Just bad yet very typical and not surprising for a park. I just don't get it.

So final piece of the story. The kids played to hard on Monday and were ready for bed at 8pm. We only live 1 1/2 hours away and were planning on leaving first thing in the AM. My wife and I decided to check out and sleep in our own house and go to work in the morning. So we loaded up and I went to check out at the front desk.

I told the lady that we needed the check out early to which she asked if we had an emergency. I said no and she started typing. HUGE MOMENT - She then stopped, looked at me, and said..."Sir, is it anything we have done wrong?" Guys, if you want to know what service at a $100 a night hotel is.......there you have it. People trained to care, clean rooms, and a fun water park.

Yes, the elevators run slow. I suggest getting an engineering degree and manufacturing something to handle hundreds of kids pushing buttons and after you've done that you can complain.

Yes, it's a busy place......again it's what your asking for.

The only darn problem here is the food. I for one will pay $5 more a plate not to load up kids and drive through town. But I would not eat here again if things didn't change.

Other than that, AMAZING SERVICE and fun time.

A please, if anybody knows why a $20 resort pizza has to suck so bad please let me know.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear all of the positive things that you shared as I absolutely loved reading everything you shared. My staff takes great pride in what they do and enjoys helping people. I am glad that Angel was able to assist you the way that she did. I do hope that you are able to come and visit us again soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Pros -
Water park is attached to this hotel
Restaurant option
Cons-
Rooms were out dated
Water park was very far away from rooms
Restaurant was pricey
Long wait to just get checked into a room
Elevator took forever
VERY crowded hotel

Overall - if your going for the water park stay here if not DON'T !!!!

• Stayed July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We are a totally kid orientated hotel on the weekends so we do love having kids stay here and they do not spend much time in their rooms as they are busy having fun in the park. Thank you for staying with us hope to see you again soon!
Omaha, NE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We arrived on a busy Saturday evening. We were traveling with our gymnastics team. The hotel was full of little girls who were there for a cheerleading event. So it was a bit crazy in the hotel. I totally expected this as it was a weekend. Our room was 827 and at the very end of the hall, which was a blessing. The halls were very busy with kids running around and it was very noisy with yelling and doors slaming. I would recommend calling ahead to the hotel and requesting an end room. Our room was exactly what I would expect at a Holiday Inn. It was clean and comfortable but not fancy. My daughter and husband went to the waterpark and had fun. The waterslides were closed due to lightning outside. My son and I had an appetizer in the bar/restaurant and it was really good. All the staff here were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask for a room at the end of the hall.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay on trip advisor. It is great to hear that you and your family had a good time. The weekend you stayed with us was filled with cheerleaders and gymnists and we love having you all at the hotel as we feed off of your energy. I do hope that you come back and stay with us again soon!
Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

The rooms are over priced, water park is not included in your stay. Our shower was broken and it took them hours to fix it after having to complain to the front desk twice about it they never offered for us to switch rooms, our room service never arrived. No one apologized for any of the horrible service and the front desk was rude! Never staying here again...

• 1 of 5 bubbles
I do apologize for the issues that you experienced during your stay. I do apologize that we could not move you to a different room during your stay but I will share your experience with the management staff. Again, thank you for staying with us.

Travelers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

This trip/stay was a nightmare. After being told we could arrive any time after 1, when we showed up around 2, our room was not ready. it would be ready around 4. We sat in the lobby with two young children for 2 hours until 4 pm. Then we were informed that the room still was not ready. We finally got into our room around 5. The room was filthy. The floor had not been swept, there were hairs on the bedding, the mop water had been poured down the drain in the tub, leaving scum and debris in our bathing facilities. The sink leaked water onto the floor in the bathroom with a steady drip anytime the faucet was on. The housekeeper ("Charles") left his key card in the room, and I had it for the duration of my stay. So I have to wonder if I would have been able to access any other guest rooms I wanted, had I been an unscrupulous person. If so, big security issue there (and I know that the first response will be that "my security was never in danger", but still...I had the housekeeper's master key card!) There were no laundry bags. We needed a crib...it, like everything else was filthy...my wife used 409 cleaner that we brought with us to clean it and got cloth after cloth of black grime off of it. The thermostat would not work to cool the room (or heat it for that matter) so the room was constantly hot, even though the thermostat was set at 60. The air coming from the vent did not change no matter if we set it at 60 or 80. The waterpark was filled to capacity, and offered no room for a family to place any items or enjoy time. i understand wanting to maximize your return on investment, but in my opinion, it was overbooked. You could barely move in the place. The water in the lazy river looked polluted, and I am sure its due to the thousands of bodies that were in the water at the same time. The entire reason for booking this trip was for my sons to have fun...and they were barely able to do anything. For the price I paid for this reservation, I was not expecting a 5 star location...it was half the price of Great Wolf Lodge. But, at any hotel, I expect rooms to be available when I am told they will be, and for them to be clean and safe. This hotel failed there. The hotel had been sold out since Thursday...management should have at least had the foresight to bring in extra housekeeping staff to ensure that guests at least had on-time access to pristine, clean rooms. And any water park should have the where-with-all to limit guests to a reasonable level. I will not EVER recommend this property to anyone, and to go further, I recommend you spend a little more and go to Great Wolf Lodge.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I do apologize for the issues that you experience during your stay. Thank you for sharing your experience with us so that I can share it with the management staff. I would also like to share that Charles came to me immediately and let me know that he lost his key card and I had to rekey the entire management keys as we do take safety very seriously here at our property.
Thank you again for your comments.