“Nicer on the inside”

Ranked #77 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Cedar Rapids, IA
“Nicer on the inside”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn across from Arrowhead Stadium. We picked this hotel based off having a priority club card as well as the FREE shuttle to the game the next day.
The outside of the hotel is very dated and looks run down. They are working on updating the inside of the hotel but there are still some problems.
The walls are very, EXTREMELY, thin. We had a tough time sleeping due to the people below us partying all night. We called numerous times about this and since the walls are so thin no one could determine the exact location of the noise. Took over an hour to find the source.
The Wi-Fi is extremely slow and will disconnects you very often... very irritating.
Our bathroom was in poor condition as well. The mirror is disproportional for the wall and is very small. Our shower curtain had many holes and the water was cold. (We told front desk about the water and nothing was even attempted to be fixed.)
Breakfast was mediocre. There are a lot of choices but all are just okay in quality and quantity.
Overall our stay was okay. But by far not the best, or worse, of our stays at other Holiday Inns. They seem to be trying to make it better but it is a slow process.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lluetchford
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. I do apologize for the noise level at the hotel; sold out nights to tend to get a little loud as fans are excited about game day. I can assure you that your experience will be addressed with the management staff so that the issues you experienced can be resolved. I hope that you enjoyed the shuttle ride to the game and hopefully you will come back and stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Well for starters front desk was polite and accommodating to my needs, however after staying the first night I became little frustrated, my housekeeper was rude and not willing to be patient. She knocked on my door around 10 am and my kids and I were preparing to go to the waterpark, so I asked her could she come back later. (with a snotty attitude) she says how long because I have to be outta here at 3 o clock. I told her an hour. We were at the waterpark for a few hours, when we returned to the room it still hadnt been cleaned, I had no fresh towels, the phone in my room wasn't working so I headed down to the front desk to complain, on my way I ran into another housekeeper in the hall, I believe she said her name was Latoya, she came and cleaned my room and provided me and my children with fresh towels and a good laugh. She was nothing like the young lady who knocked on my door that morning. She was patient and sympathetic and very polite. I never made it down to front desk to complain about the other young lady because Latoya went so far out of her way to fix my issue that I saw no need to complain about the service. However I did eat at the tradewinds restaurant and the food was disgusting and cold. But all things considered the stay was cool, but they need to fire miss Courtney the housekeeper from hell.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I do apologize for the unacceptable service that you received from Courtney and this will definately be addressed with her. However, I am so very glad that Latoya was able to provide the customer service that we do stand by here at our property. I am also happy the the front desk was polite and accommodating. We are also addressing the issues with the restaurant as it is under new management. I do hope that you come back and see us again.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed 11/24 and 11/25 for Chiefs/Broncos game. Great location for taking in a game. We were upgraded to a suite which was a nice surprise however the suite was dated. Small fridge was really old, freezer was full of ice (needed to be defrosted). Leg on table was broken. Room was dusty. No ice machine on 15th floor. Luke warm water in shower. Size of the suite was great though. We ate the breakfast buffet before the game due to how busy the restaurant was, we were afraid to order from menu as not sure how long it would take. The food was terrible and overpriced. At $13.99 per person for wet runny eggs, biscuits and gravy and paper thin over cooked bacon, not a good deal. Would much rather have had a free continental breakfast you may get at any other similar hotel, which typically aren't too bad. The fresh fruit was the only edible item. Not worth the price to only eat fruit.

Room Tip: Eat breakfast elsewhere!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor with us. I do apologize for the food not being up to our standards for your breakfast meal. I will definately review this with our new Food & Beverage Director. I am sure that this will be rectified. I am glad that we were able to upgrade you to one of our suites as the view of the twin stadiums is spectacular. Hopefully you will come back and visit us again for another game.
tampa
Reviewed November 5, 2012

With no real restaurants very close by you would think they would have good or at least decent food. It is so bad my dog who travelled with us wouldn't eat it,
The buffet looked like leftovers that were just reheated and hoped to get by with. It made airline food seem like a gourmet dinner in comparison.
When our server pointed out the "chef" he was a slovenly ungroomed portly man who showed no pride in himself let alone the food he prepared.
We ended up going to Denny's which was the nearest eatery but when you are at the hotel for 3 days you would expect more.
I suggest you bring in fast food with you if you decide to stay here.

Room Tip: Just don't eat here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank criticalsuccess
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
criticalsuccess - I am so sorry that you did not enjoy the food at the hotel. We normally have very good feedback on our food. I will share your experience with the management staff. Thank you and have an ejoyable day.

Travelers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed here after attending the Chiefs/Raiders game on 10/28. We went to the bar/lounge after checking in to watch the game on TV and get something to eat. The bar was packed and they only had two people working. Service? Forget about it, we waited at the bar just to get a beer for 20 minutes. They had no security watching the doors, drunk fans were stumbling in all night. One of them decided to take a drink out of my pitcher of beer and then pick a fight with me when I asked him what he thought he was doing. When I complained to the staff, they informed me there was nothing they could do as they don't have any security at the hotel except for one guy who is hired to watch the parking lot only.
After about 30 minutes of this they told me they would comp my room for my trouble. Since I booked online they said I would need to contact the web company for my refund. I returned home, contacted the web company who then called the hotel. The manager at the hotel told them they would NOT comp the room and had no record of my complaint.
Needless to say besides the awful service, the dirty hotel room and the amount of noise in the hallways I highly recommend avoiding this hotel. Probably one of the single worst stays I've ever had in my life!

Room Tip: Try the Drury Inn across the street. Stayed there a couple times and it was great. I would've st...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff D
Jeff D. - I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay here. It was extremely busy in the bar the night that you stayed and I do apologize that someone took a drink out of your beer. I do hope that you did receive your refund from your third party company as I have instructed them to refund you. Unfortunately, since you did not pay us directly they are responsible for any refunds.
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Also stayed for the Chiefs game. Sheets were dirty. Room service did come within the hour and changed the sheet. The shower curtain rod was broken. Engineering never came to fix it. When u take a shower the floor gets wet because the shower curtain slid all over the place. Parking was horrible. Elevators were slow. I was on the 14 th floor and it was quicker to take the stairs. Front desk was okay. They were busy so I guess this was the best they could do. Only stayed 1 night thank goodness. Then drove to St Louis and stayed at the Hyatt. No comparison. I haven't stayed at many Holiday Inns. If this is an example of what they are like, I will not start. Never heard from the manager about our stay. Very sad!!

• Stayed October 2012
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We will review your comments with our Housekeeping and Engineering management team to ensure that we are able to meet our goal in providing a clean and comfortable experience for all of our guests.
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was sitting in a chair at the dining table when the arm of the chair fell off, i therefore had an accident. The only good part of my stay was how helpful and friendly the front desk guy Bill was at resolving the issue. He was extremely friendly and helpful..

• Stayed November 2012
I do aplogize for the experience that you had here at our hotel. I am glad that Bill was able to provide great service for you. It was also great getting to speak with you personally on Saturday night after staying an additional two more nights at our property. Hopefully you and your friends will be able to visit us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
Best Western Plus Seville Plaza Hotel
Best Western Truman Inn
Best Western Truman Inn
#5 of 18 in Independence

Been to Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!