“Not to shabby but could use improvement”

Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #81 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed December 3, 2011

My husband's job held a retreat here in October. Check in was quick and they even called to make sure the room was to our liking. A staff member brought a folder to our room that they forgot to give us at check in. I read reviews that the elevators would be slow so we asked for a room on a lower level and we discovered that those reviews were true. Luckily, we didn't have a long hike down the stairs with our 2 and 6 year olds. We had classes downstairs, the first night the rooms were very warm. The next morning they were cooler but some black substance fell down onto the tables and into the water glasses and pitchers. We assumed it was from the vents. The food was good, everybody seem to enjoy it. The children enjoyed a visit from the waterpark mascot during our first breakfast. The waterpark was nice but I do wish it was a tad bit warmer and the food was overpriced as to be expected. We had a blast with the kids, they really enjoyed the water park. Our rooms were clean but we did have to call down for towels as they were not replaced. But one call and they were brought to the rooom.
I would like to see a different spot for smokers other than the entrance to the hotel. Very unhealthy for asthmatics.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower level to avoid hiking down lots of stairs this is helpful if you have small children...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
COCOGM, General Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2011

Thanks for sending comments about your recent stay at the the hotel to trip advisor. I was glad to read you and your family had a good time at the hotel and water resort. We are currently doing a modernization of the elevators to make them all run more efficient for our guests. Unfortunately during the construction work the wait time is a little long. The project will be completed on all three elevators by March 2012. This should make the elevators work much better for all hotel guests. Thanks for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed November 21, 2011

I must admit, when I realized there was a water park attached to the hotel, I was not entirely thrilled. I was here for a couple nights on business and was already beginning to wonder how much work would be accomplished with all kids and teenagers running around the hotel. For as big as the hotel is (at least 15 floors) you would think they would have more than 4 computers for guests (2 with printers, 2 without) or a better internet connection. It took me 15 mins of trying to connect to their wireless on my laptop before I had to call down to guest services for help. It was another 15 before I was up and running...their internet guest support said something about certain rooms using up too much bandwidth? I would assume from downloading large files...not entirely the hotels fault, but still this hotel should think of getting a better internet and computer system, something stronger since they are catering to business and family travelers.
I didn't spend too much time at the actual hotel, but when I returned at night, I had to call guest services to restock my towels. The very nice lady called back promptly after receiving my towels just to see how my stay was going and if there was anything else I needed...I think her name was Gail? Everyone at that desk was so attentive and nice...the girl with the feathers in her hair and little blonde girl were always smiling and greeting everyone that walked by them...even the people that were there overnight and at 5am were friendly and eager to help.
With kids hanging around the business center computers at all hours of the day and night, I waited until about 5:30 on the morning I was leaving to print my boarding passes. Had I known that all the toner was out on their printers, I would have done this at the airport terminal. Regardless, I approached the front desk to see if they could help me. The man (Will?) behind the desk went out of his way and actually let me bring my information up on his computer so it would print directly to his printer, however, he could not get it to print...anywhere. I think we tried 3 or all 4 computers, literally taking 30 mins before this girl with long, black hair and glasses (I don't know if she had a name tag or not, sorry I don't remember your name!) told me to just come into the back office and she would get it to print. She was sweet enough to even offer me coffee or donuts for the trouble of waiting.
Quite honestly, anywhere else would have given up a looooooong time ago. At the time, yes, it was very frustrating, entering and re-entering my information, going here, then there, ect, ect, but it was the fact that they were willing to go above and beyond to see it through spoke volumes to the kind of service they are providing. Even the smallest act of offering coffee was something that really made my stay worth it. I would like to see what great service they provide to families, so I may be back with mine!

Room Tip: avoid rooms near ice machines and elevators when the hotel is busy if you want to get sleep
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
COCOGM, General Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2011

Thanks for sending your comments to Trip Advisor about your recent stay at the hotel. I was glad to read how responsive the desk staff was to your issues at the hotel. I have a very dedicated staff and they work really hard to try to make the hotel guests stay as best as it can be. I will look into the internet bandwith at the hotel to see why you were having issues and have corrected if needed. We appreciate your business and look forward to your returning to our hotel on a future trip to Kansas City.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

This hotel is very nice and is pretty much right across the street from Kauffman Stadium where the KC Royals play so it's an easy walk but they also have a shuttle available. They have a nice restaurant which serves a breakfast buffet as well as other menu items. They also have a smaller cafe and water park. The reason I marked it very good instead of excellent was because my room didn't have a shower curtain and when checking in the concierge sent us in the opposite direction of where our rooms were located.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Thanks for sending your comments to Trip Advisor about your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad you had a nice stay at the hotel. The restaurant in the hotel is very nice and the food is great. I am glad you got to enjoy the food at the hotel. Sorry about the mis direction from the staff. Thanks for staying with us. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Kansas City.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed here on Thursday 10/27 & Friday 10/28. This was booked for us by a friend who used to live in KC. It wasn't his first choice to stay - he would have preferred to stay downtown near the plaza but everything was booked up. We found the rooms and the hotel overall to be very clean. I don't believe they offer a free breakfast. Also, there isn't any venting in the restrooms so it can get a little hot and stuffy. It would be nice if they put a mirror over the desk area in the room so women would have a good place to do their hair and makeup. However, overall there isn't anything terrible that would keep me from staying there again. Especially if you are in town for a baseball or football game since it is within a couple blocks of the stadiums. This would be a great hotel for the guys during the sports seasons! I also could see where if you had kids it would be a great place because of the indoor waterpark. It looked like it would be a lot of fun.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
COCOGM, General Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2011

Thanks for staying with us during your recent visit to Kansas City. I was glad to read you had a very nice stay at the hotel. Our hotel has a great location next to the sports stadiums and our complimentary shuttle to the stadiums for the games is a great guest benefit. Our water park is a great attraction for kids and adults alike. Thanks for sending your comments to Trip Advisor. We look forward to you staying with us again on a future visit to Kansas City.

Reviewed October 28, 2011

We had two rooms for this hotel. The rooms were in the basement of the hotel by the pool. If the smell of chlorine bothers you, the basement isn't for you. The hallways and rooms downstairs appeared to have last been renovated in the 80's. The carpets, lamps, fixtures, etc. were all very tired and rundown. There is a new flat panel TV in the room that was nice.

My room (149) was clean but very dated. Only 2 of the lamps worked and they looked like they were purchased for a dollar each before I was born. The room was very dark without a ceiling light.

The bed was comfortable as were the pillows. The thermostat worked fine for my room. The bathroom looked a bit newer than the room itself however the curtain rod was busted and hanging down slightly.

I took a bath one night and went back into bed. I heard a strange sound after the tub drained and went into the bathroom to find that the drain had backed up into the tub and the bottom of the tub was filled with black gunk. I just rinsed it down the drain.

After awhile the damp chlorine stench got to me and I asked for a different room. They said they were booked and could not accomodate my request. That was fine. If they don't have any other rooms, their hands are tied.

My friend was issued a room by mine and when we walked in that room the toilet seat was up with urine in the toilet. The lights were on and the visible bed was unmade. We backed out in a hurry because it looked like the room occupants had just stepped out.

A visit to the desk corrected the issue. We overheard them saying that nobody had stayed in that dirty room for the last 3 weeks so apparently it had just slipped through the cracks. We were given two free breakfast vouchers for our troubles.

A new room was assigned and a front desk agent did inspect the room prior to us going back downstairs. That room was clean but the thermostat seemed off. It was set at 75 but it was cold enough to hang meat in that room. The shower in that room was also hooked up backwards. Cold was hot and hot was cold.

The lobby and restaurant areas are nice. They have obviously been renovated far more recently than the rooms. An issue was the free business center. The keyboards were so old a lot of the letters were worn out and most of the time the computers were so painfully slow they were unusable. I heard many complaints about this. The free wifi was also slow.

The staff were nice and helpful although staffing one person at the front desk during the day seemed light. The poor lady was pulled in about 4 different directions.

i only paid $41 a night so I can't complain about the price. It wasn't worth much more than that though.

I would reluctantly stay again at the low rate and would try to get a king room in the tower. I was told that most of the king rooms are in the basement area of the hotel. Otherwise, the rooms have two double beds.

Rating this property at three stars is generous but 2.5 is not an option. It has a great location and potential that it is not living up to.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Thanks for sending your comments to Trip Advisor. Please accept my apologies for the chlorine smell you encountered during your stay at the hotel. The indoor pool is located around some rooms and we vent the pool to the outside but sometimes the chlorine smell can be an issue for guests with a sensitive sense of smell. I am sorry you felt the guest rooms had a dated feel to them. The hotel underwent a multi-million dollar renovation a few years ago and every room was completely updated. The earth tones used in the rooms sometimes are not favorites for guests and can be seen as looking out dated. The pictures on Trip Advisor and our website show exactly what all the rooms decor is like. I was glad to read that the staff were helpful and nice. We have a great staff and they do a very good job of taking care of our guests. Thanks for staying with us. We hope to have to visit us again on a future trip to Kansas City.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last couple of months, and each time have had fantastic service! Teresa and Natalie both work so hard to make sure everyone is happy and they were both so accomodating!!! The elevators are a bit of a problem, but all in all it is a great hotel, and very convenient.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
COCOGM, General Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2011

Thanks for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you choosing to stay at our hotel on your recent visits to Kansas City. We are currently doing a modernization project on our guest tower elevators to make them run more efficiently. The project wil be done in the early part of 2012 so we hope you see a difference in the elevators on a return visit. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

This hotel is great for parking if your going to the game.... its within walking distance. But, you've got to shag the fact that the beds already looked slept in when you arrive to the room...which to me is the most important aspect of your hotel stay, a warm inviting bed. It literally looked liked the mattresses had major road bumps. The view of the stadiums are pretty cool, too. I would say that if your going to the game, need a cheap room and a place to park this is the hotel to go to. While it may have a water park the hotel is really is not kid friendly, trust me on this moms, I'm a mom, too. Everyone who stays here at this hotel will be going to the ball game. So don't expect a family enviroment, and remember this is a Big hotel with lots of people. The waterpark is fun if its not Saturday, it really is overcrowded, and the smell of chlorine is very strong, so be prepared if you have little ones with sensitive airways. The rooms and the hotel are in need of a major update. I suggest that they just close the water park and concentrate on where their business is at, the sport's fans. Maybe, offer a shuttle service to the game, then this place would be booked pretty much all year. The best part of our stay here was the restaurant, usually hotel restaurants are not that good, but these guys know how to make an awesome burger and fries, Thanks a bunch for this one because we really needed a good hot meal, I just wish we would have had a warm inviting bed.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your comment about your recent stay at our hotel on Trip Advisor. The hotel and water park are very busy on peak weekends when the Kansas City Royals or Kansas City Chiefs are playing home games. The hotel and water park can get a little crazy during these peak times. I was sorry to read that your bed was not made properly before your arrival. We train our housekeepers to focus on making a crisp and clean bed and I will share these comments with them so they can re-train the room attendant who improperly prepared the bed in this room. We do offer a complimentary shuttle to all the sporting events at both stadiums so please ensure you utilize this service next time you are at the hotel. I was glad to read you had a great experience in the hotel restaurant. We have a great menu and great food and was glad you were able to enjoy this during your stay at the hotel. Our kids eat free program is also a great benefit of dining in the hotel restaurant. Thanks again for your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
Ramada Kansas City
#78 of 109 in Kansas City
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City Sports Complex
Sleep Inn & Suites and Indoor Water Park

Been to Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!