“I should have stayed elsewhere.”

Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #81 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We normally stay a few weeks out of the year in Kansas City for work. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn near the Country Club Plaza though. We have often seen this hotel when booking our other stays and wondered about the attached water park. We arrived at check-in at 5:30 and the hotel was very busy with people coming and going to the water park. Almost everyone we saw was wearing a swimsuit or carrying a towel. It took quite a while to get an elevator. They upgraded us to a suite on the 15th floor since we are Platinum Priority Club Members (we stay 60+ nights a year at Holiday Inn properties). We entered our room to find it about 80 degrees without any exaggeration. The room was nice and clean though, just too hot. So we called guest services and asked to have someone look at it. We left for shopping and dinner right after we called. We came back at 10:30 and there was no change in the temperature. We called the front desk and asked to be moved, they put us in another suite that was maybe 2 degrees cooler, but nowhere near 72 degrees. They did however give us 2 complimentary breakfast buffet passes. The lesson I learned, was to stay in the nicer part of town, in a nicer hotel, and still enjoy this water park if there is ever a next time that I venture this direction. You should stay at the Plaza and drive here during the day.

• Stayed: July 2011
COCOGM, General Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2011

I want to thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Coco Key Water Resort - Kansas City. We appreciate receiving comments from our guests so we can improve on our ability to provide an excellent hotel and water park experience for our guests. I apologize for your elevator wait times while at the hotel. During peak times the wait for one of the three elevators can be an inconvenience. We do plan to help with the peak wait times for the elevators with a modernization project that will start soon at the hotel. I was glad to read the desk gave you a complimentary upgrade to a suite for being a Platinum Priority Club Member. I apologize for the issues with the suite air conditioning. I have shard your concerns with the hotel engineering team to correct this issue for future guests. Thanks again for your comments. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to have you stay again on a future trip to Kansas City.

Ted Frerking

Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed June 29, 2011

Stayed one night working on convention details. The staff was very friendly, hotel room had a great view of the city, room was very clean. Ate dinner and breakfast in the dining room - food was great. It was so easy to get to - right off of Interstate 70 and 1/3 mile from I-435. Would stay again:)

1  Thank beck7860

I want to thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Coco Key Water Resort - Kansas City. We appreciate receiving positive comments from our guests on their stay at our hotel and water park. I was glad to read you had a great time at the hotel and enjoyed the meals in our restaurant. Thanks again for your comments. We appreciate you staying with us.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

The hotel was a basic Holiday Inn, but what made it unique was the helpfulness of the staff. Ayesha at the front desk went above and beyond to help me get some documents printed for a presentation that same day. It's that kind of attention to detail that makes a huge difference.

1  Thank gottagetgoingnow

I want to thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Coco Key Water Resort - Kansas City. We appreciate receiving positive comments from our guests on their stay at our hotel and water park. I was glad to read that our front desk agent Ayesha was helpful to you during your stay. We have a great staff at the front desk and they always strive to exceed our guests expectations. Thanks again for your comments. We appreciate you staying with us and look forward to you returning on your next visit to Kansas City.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

My experience was very different from many of the reviews. Check in was quick and professional. Our rooms were ready upon arrival even though we were early. Our connecting rooms were small, but sufficient for a short 2 night stay. We knew from reading tripadvisor that no refrigerator is provided and we planned accordingly, bringing a cooler and keeping it filled with ice.

The double beds were comfortable and the room was clean and cool. We were on the east side of the building, so no hot afternoon sun. Loved the black out shades to block morning sun.

We had planned on spending the entire next day at the waterpark with the grandkids, and went down to the waterpark desk to purchase our day passes. We were informed that day passes were only available on the day of use and we could purchase them tomorrow. We were asked how old the children were and then told we could sign them up for the coco key kids club for the same price as a day pass. The club included lots of little extras and the pass for the waterpark for the same price as a day pass, just for purchasing it the day prior. Can't figure out how they made money from this, but I'm not going to argue!

We ate dinner at the restaurant and the kids ate free. Sandwiches, burgers and sodas were fine and the convenience, price and service were great. We were worried about the toddler and overactive 7 y/o bothering other guests, but the waitress said that "shush!" was not a word they used at the coco key resort. I thought that was cute and they put us in the back of the room.

We took the kids to the indoor pool that evening. Getting to the pool was strange as you have to go down to the lobby, then through the ballroom lobby, then down a second set of elevators. I would hate to be doing this in my cover up and pool toys for the kids if a formal affair were happening at the time.

The next morning we couldn't wait for the waterpark to open and the kids woke up early. The park doesn't open until 10:00 and this is when the $10 arcade card (part of the kids club perks) came in handy. The park was clean well organized and lots of fun for the 7 and 9 y/o. We felt very safe giving them freedom to play and swim without our continuous direct supervision. The lifeguards were professional and plentiful. They never let their gaze wander and kept a close eye on everyone. The toddler didn't care much for the water, but it may have been too much noise and confusion for her. We'll try again next year.

We got our bill on the second morning slipped under the door. It was VERY wrong. I went down to the front desk and explained that the prepaid amount had not been credited. I had to show them the confirmation with the prepay amount on it. We went to breakfast and were assured it would be resolved. It was!

In conclusion, I would not hesitate to stay here again and look forward to making this a yearly mini-vacation. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and professional.
They made our stay so very enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

I want to thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Coco Key Water Resort - Kansas City. We appreciate receiving positive comments from our guests who stay at the hotel and water park. I am glad to read your kids had a great time in Coco Key Water Park. It is a great attraction for families with children and the kids always seem to enjoy themselves. We have a great water park staff and the lifeguards do a great job of keeping all our guests safe and secure. Our Kids Club is a great benefit for guests and I am glad you were able to take advantage of this program. Kids always eat free in our restaurant which is another great benefit of staying at the resort. Thanks again for your comments. We appreciate you staying with us.

Reviewed June 10, 2011

Heed the warnings of so many reviews and stay elsewhere!! Wish I had taken the time to read them first!! Water Park is so very overcrowded that you can't even turn around without bumping into someone. We walked down and looked at it and decided NOT to pay the outrageous $15 per person to swim and $5 to watch!! I guess I am spoiled by Great Wolf and some of the Branson waterpark hotels where it is included in the price of the room. We chose instead to just swim in the hotel pool. HUGE mistake....full of obvious gang members and other low lifes. Our pooside entertainment included watching as one scummy woman suffered some kind of drug overdose or mixed drugs with the many beers she was consuming and ended up having the paramedics and fire department called in to work on her. During that entire scene, the gang member boyfriend was standing there watching so stoned out of his mind that he was practically falling asleep on his feet. SHe did sober up and make a miraculous recovery when the paramedic mentioned a drug test at the hospital and calling the police....geez!! what a great atmosphere for a family outing....HORRIBLE!! If this place is marketing as a family hotel with a family water park, etc. SOMETHING needs to be done about the low-lifes they allow to linger around in the parking lot and lobby....we felt so very unsafe the entire time.
Once we were finally allowed in our room (VERY LATE getting it ready!!) it was filthy!! Carpet had not been vacummed, nasty sticky stains on carpet, hair all over the tub and bathroom floor. THe shower curtain was so torn on one end that there was no way to use the shower without soaking the entire bathroom....the curtain literally dangled from the rod by one small area! Not a single towel or washcloth in the whole room....we sat there in our wet swimsuits for 40 minutes!!!! waiting on towels to be delivered. Took a total of 3 calls to the front desk to get them brought up. ABsolutely no excuse for that kind of horrible service!! Holiday INN needs to take a look at this place....it is a nightmare! I will be contacting HOliday Inn Corporate management and requesting a refund!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

I want to thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Coco Key Water Resort - Kansas City. We appreciate receiving comments from our guests so we can improve on our ability to provide an excellent hotel and water park experience for our guests. I apologize for your unpleasant water park experience due to the crowded water park. We limit the amount of guests into the water park to control capacity and sometimes when a lot of guests are all in the same attraction it can become crowded and inconvenient. I have shared your comments about the condition of your room with my housekeeping management staff to correct this issue for future guests. I apologize that the cleanliness of your room was not up to our established standards. We have a strong housekeeping department but unfortunately it appears your room was not maintained to our usual cleanliness standards. Thanks again for your comments. We appreciate you staying with us.

Reviewed June 10, 2011

I visited this hotel on business. The waterpark looked interesting & the kids seemed to be enjoying it. It wasn't very busy. I needed an early check-in. They agreed, but yet I had to wait an hour in the lobby. They told me that it had to be cleaned. Then once I got the room, maid service came in. That tells me that the room did not need to be cleaned & that they kept me waiting in the lobby for no reason but their incompetence. The thermostat was set on 60 & ran the entire time. It never cooled off in the room. It was cool, maybe 80 degrees, if I were to guess. I certainly didn't need any sheet or blanket for a cover on my bed. The bed was not the most comfortable & I had trouble getting to sleep. It was over 90 degrees outside, but if the unit is running all day & night, it ought to be cold in the room. The room was clean & the flat screen TV worked. The breakfast buffet was good. Many hot foods to choose from as well as fruit & cereal. The coffee tasted dirty. The coffee maker in the room made better coffee than what was offered at the breakfast buffet.

Reviewed May 15, 2011

This is my second time to stay at this hotel (first time was when it was still a Sheraton a couple years back). Staff were very friendly and knowledgable. The rooms are nice with great views if you are facing the stadiums. The lobby is upscale with several computers for guest use (free) in a very modern setting. There is free wireless in all the rooms, but it was down during my stay. The breakfest buffet at $11.00 was very good....kids eat free. There is easy on/off Interstate access and the parking is free. You can't go wrong with this hotel especially if you get a good price on priceline.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Ramada Kansas City
#78 of 109 in Kansas City
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City Sports Complex
Sleep Inn & Suites and Indoor Water Park

Been to Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!