“Didn't live up to its Zagat rating”
Review of Michael Smith

Michael Smith
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael Smith is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #169 of 1,470 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 19th
Transit: Just outside on Main.
Reviewed December 22, 2012

this was one of the 4 restaurants I visited in my business trip to Kansas City, MO. It got a overall 27 score from Zagat and I came with pretty high expectation. it was a Thursday evening and the whole restaurant was empty. we thought it was closed until we checked its next door twin restaurant. I had octopus as appetizer, Kansas strip steak and lemon chiffon as dessert. since i was in Kansas city, i had quite an expectation with steak but i have to say, the strip steak was the deal breaker. the meat was tough and not that flavorful. if it were not the octopus, i would have given it a 2 instead of a 3. the service was very good because we were the only group there that evening. but coming from nyc and having been to quite a number of 27 zagat rating restaurants here, i was a bit disappointed with the steak. the dessert was so so. probably i chose the wrong dish because my other two friends were pretty with theirs, both fish dishes. but i can only write about my experience and honestly, with this bad experience, i am not sure if i would give it a second chance when i am in town next time again.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We went to Michael Smith's for a romantic Valentine's Day meal that we knew we would remember always. And we weren't mistaken. The service was excellent, the atmosphere exactly what you would want with a special someone. And the food was perfect. Inventive but not so strange that you were wondering about some foam concoction. Real food made beautiful by one of the best chefs in KC. Maybe even in the entire region!

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We liked the ambiance of this restaurant and chose it because we got a deal for a meal. My husband and I both ordered the KC strip. The sides were excellent but my steak was like jerky. Not the top of the like cut of meat that I would expect from paying full price for this type of fine dining. Won't go back.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

In this innovative restaurant everything is always fresh and delicious. The atmosphere is proper, but not pretentious. The staff is very knowledgeable about the menu. We have never, in the many times we have eaten there, had a meal which didn't please. It's our favorite, hands down.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Michael Smith is one of the top chefs in the area, and the restaurant shows it. This is a place for foodies. I highly recommend the tasting menu with the wine pairings, this will make your evening. Perfect for special occations.