“A splendid treat in middle America”
Review of Bluestem

Bluestem
Reserve with OpenTable
Bluestem is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 1,422 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Roanoke
San Antonio, Texas
“A splendid treat in middle America”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

This is fine dining at it's very best, every detail is thought out and the wine list is one for the ages. Hamachi in the middle of Missouri seemed odd at first but, boy am I glad I did!

Visited August 2014

midwest
“Outstanding, great for a special occasion”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

This is an amazing restaurant. Hard to get reservations, there are two seatings, between 6-6:30 and 8-8:30 pm weeknights. Menu is limited and varied. Prix fixe, 3 courses, 5 courses or 10 courses, with or without wine pairings. It is important that your whole group get the same number of courses. We all got 3 and it was enough, 5 would be awesome, cannot imagine 10! It is certainly expensive and not for a normal night out, in my opinion. Will return for special occasion. We were enjoying the evening, maybe too much, because the manager did come to our table (we had 6:15 rez) and offered to buy us a drink at the bar if we would vacate the table, a party was "patiently waiting" for our table. That was a very nice way of asking us to get going.

“Westport Gem”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We enjoyed our five course menu with wine pairing. The dishes were perfect for a summer celebration, and most courses were delicious. The Hamachi was overcooked and salty, but the heirloom tomato and goat cheese was one of the best things I've ever tasted. The service was wonderful, and the dining room is comfortable and sleek. Overall one of the best meals I've had in Kansas City.

Kansas City
“Super New Bar and Happy Hour”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Please note: This review is not about the main dining area of Bluestem where the Prix Fix menu is served. We had an early dinner/happy hour in the Bar area.

First, the bar has a cool vibe. Clean Lines, nice lighting, not stuffy or uncomfortable appearing at all . My friend and I sat at the bar (nice purse hooks underneath) even though there were about 6-8 tables in the same area. We got there right at 5pm on a Thursday and had our choice of seats. You can go on-line to take a look at the menu for current small plates/apps offerings. We chose the pom frittes (get one order for 2 people as it is a large quantity), olives, BLT and Shrimp and Grits. Bottles of wine were 30% off so we chose a nice Rose. I also had a Moscow Mule which was considered a well drink so it was $3. Our total bill was around $70 something without tip.

The shrimp and grits were just fantastic. Had bits of smoked sausage along with the shrimp and grits. The texture of the grits seemed more like a risotto to me...being a southern gal, I love traditional grits, but these had a great taste and made the dish seem more hardy. My friend thought the BLT was well prepared. Ordinarily it would come with fries, but since we had already ordered fries, they graciously substituted a nice mixed green salad for her.

The bartender was cordial and efficient. All in all a great experience and definitely a do-over!

Kansas City, Missouri
“omg! this was one splendid repast”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I asked at the restaurant if the menu was on line. For the most part yes, but the 1st course is not what was offered at the restaurant. My wife had the cold soup not my cup of tea, but she said that it was excellent. I wish that I had the actual menu because I had an salad with heirloom tomatoes plus another slice of a large tomato it is beyond word to describe. I took one bite and then counted how many I had left. The presentation was unreal. It was beautiful. It made my night we are going back in three weeks so I can ordered it again. The restaurant would not let me exchange any of the other courses for another 1st course. The rest of the meal was up to the Bluestem's usual standards. The little treats between meals were hot and yummy.

• Visited July 2014