“Worth every penny! Lots of pennies”
Review of Bluestem

Bluestem
Reserve with OpenTable
Bluestem is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 1,422 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Roanoke
Kansas City, Missouri
“Worth every penny! Lots of pennies”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Dined at Bluestem with family and friends. This was our first time at Bluestem and the wine, décor, cuisine was excellent. Would recommend to family and friends

Warrensburg, Missouri
“Will return again and again...”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

AMAZING EXPERIENCE
My husband and I had gone to Bluestem 3 years ago and loved it; we just now made it back, and if anything it just gets better. The food was amazing (did the five-course selection). Yes, the portions are smaller, but they're very filling. There wasn't a single dish or sample I tried that didn't feel like an explosion of flavor in my mouth. I also did the wine pairing (extra $40). Some might consider this a bit pricey, but I was very glad I did, the gentleman who paired my wines was friendly and definitely knew his stuff, as did our waiter. Every waiter here works together to make sure you have fresh silverware for every course, a fresh glass, a full water cup, everything. It's pricey but worth it for a romantic night out or trying something new with friends.

WHO WOULD LOVE IT
Anyone who loves trying unique flavors and wants a 5-star experience in Kansas City. Someone who's looking to spend an hour and 45 minutes (which we did!) just enjoying dinner and conversation.

WHO WOULD HATE IT
Anyone who isn't comfortable potentially spending $100+ on a meal, likes bigger portions and a doggy bag, or doesn't care for more "unique" flavors.

BEST PART
The best part is split between the wait staff and the food itself. The food is amazing, but the wait staff know their stuff, whether it's where the cheese came from or how the meat was cooked and with what. They were all so friendly and quick to take care of anything we needed.

We will return!

Victor, New York
“Wonderful”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Went to the Bluestem for my daughters birthday. What a wonderful eating experience! I have been to several 5 star restaurants and this is as good if not better.The waiter was fantastic. He even doubles as an artist in his spare time. Notice the sculpture/picture on the wall it is his. We chose the 5 course tasting menu. Very creative. You get to choose from the menu what you want for each course. All the food was excellent. Presentation was perfect right down to all plates set down at once. An experience all should enjoy at least once! A great place for date night or special occasion. Not a place for young children. Loved it! I hope to go back next time I am in KC.

1 Thank Kathleen56_11
Kansas City, MO
“Very close to 5 stars”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've written before that a 5 star rating should indicate a restaurant that is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. This restaurant is probably as close as I will ever get to a true 5-star.
Food was excellent...excellently prepared and excellently presented. I had the hangar steak, my wife had the salmon. Both perfectly done. Pea soup was probably the best pea soup I've ever had (and yes, I have eaten at Pea Soup Anderson's).
A caveat...this is not a cheap place and the servings are not Applebees quantity. However, for a special occasion, I'd highly recommend it. Chef Garrelts has won the "Best Chef in the Midwest" award from James Beard and truly deserves it, based on the meal we had.

1 Thank kcmoal
“Wonderful dining experience!”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Husband and I dined at Bluestem for my birthday. What a wonderful experience. We are not from the area, but every so often I seriously get the urge to make the 6 hour drive so I can dine here again. If you get the chance - Dine at Bluestem. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited June 2012