“Will NOT return!”

Residence Inn Kansas City Airport
Ranked #42 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed July 16, 2012

First of all, I have started to read detailed poor reviews before and discounted the author as a person with less than the normal stability or judgement. I apologize to those reviewers. That said, we were recently scheduled to stay for two nights at this easily accessible Residence Inn just north of MCI. Entering the lobby to check-in, I remembered I had previously stayed here when I observed the maintenance man standing near the office at the check-in desk, drinking a beverage and 'hanging out' at the desk area. I recalled this exact scenario from our previous visit, and thought that unprofessional and also that our impression had not been so good last visit. Not remembering details, I discounted that thought, and forged ahead, certain that this hotel, with the beautiful lobby and friendly receptionist, would be perfect for our stay. We had an efficient check-in process and drove our vehicle around to the recommended door. The door that had the overflowing trash can beside it just as it had the last time we were here. We proceeded to our room #132. As we passed the elevator next to our room, my child commented on the overflowing trash can next to the elevator. I had noticed the entire hallway we traversed was in definite need of vacuuming. In fact, everywhere we went in the hallway on two separate floors, I noticed similar condition throughout the entire hall area, and, in my opinion, this was not something that could have just occurred in one day. We had reserved a 1 bedroom suite with a sofa bed in the living room. We entered the suite and began to settle in. I was a bit discouraged when I needed to clean up several hairs on the bathroom floor and then later on the top bed cover. We always appreciate the ample space and stay at Residence Inns quite frequently. After eating our take out that we brought with us, I noticed we not only did not have a dish cloth to wash down the counter top, but the only dish towel was neatly folded beside the sink WITH THE DISH DRAIN PLUG on top of it. How 'germy' is that ? And I am not even a germophobe! We were interested in showering and getting to bed, but I was unable to locate linens for the sofa bed. My son even looked under the beds in the bedroom but only found a pill that someone had left behind. Fortunately, he was old enough to know to give that medication to me and not put it is his mouth. After exhausting all possible locations for the linens, I called the desk and was told I could retrieve those linens at the front desk. After re-dressing from my night clothes, I obtained the linens at the desk and also a fourth bath towel since we had reserved for 4 people but had only 3 bath towels provided. I found it interesting that there were two employees at the desk which meant one could have run the linens to the room. Fortunately, I didn't have small children that I had to get out of bed to go down to the desk with me. When I asked about the procedure, after remembering once again that I had to do this the last time I was here, I was informed that this is there process for the sofa beds. Had I know when I reserved, or when I checked in, that I would need to obtain the linens, I would have done it when I checked in. In my opinion, this is very poor customer service and something I have not experienced before in any hotel. Certainly not in a Residence Inn. Several other small issues I noticed were that one side of the toilet paper holder was very loose, the wallpaper above the shower head was peeling back, there were several large strips of clear packing tape stuck to the wall above either end of the sofa, and a cover to one of the recessed lights above the bed was hanging down. Then I realized the air conditioner was not cooling. Long story short, we were moved to another room in a dirty elevator with nut shells on the floor which made my nut-allergic son a little uneasy. We had to unmake the sofa bed (not going for more linens), redress, re-pack, re-pack our food from the fridge and wait for the employee to bring the keys to the new room as she had suggested. After waiting some time after the above preparations were made, I called the desk and learned that she had been waiting for me to come get the key at the front desk! We agreed to meet at the room - #321. The employee set the thermostat and I could here the unit begin to run. We proceeded to prepare for sleep and as I reached for the hand towels at the vanity sink, I was extremely disappointed to see that it was obviously dirty. It appeared to have been used several times including to wipe either toothpaste or shaving cream. I proceeded to check the three wash cloths that were haphazardly looped over the rod and the first one appeared to have been used to brush off whiskers as it had dark short whiskers looking debris over one side of the white washcloth. Looking into the bathroom area, the toilet seat and lid were up and there were multiple hairs adhered to the back of the door. As a mom, I felt like I had failed my family by reserving this hotel. This was supposed to be a vacation, a fun little get-away, but I felt deflated, disappointed and concerned for our well being. My family was so tired by now, they could have slept in the car if it wasn't so hot outdoors.The recessed light above the bed was out but I always take along a bright flashlight when traveling. I carefully looked at the bed linens and was pleased not to find anything unusual. And this room was cooling nicely! The kitchen is decorated nicely and did have a dishcloth and towel but again, the dish drain plug was placed on top of the linens. The living area is nicely furnished with the contemporary red sofa and chair, a desk and a nice flat screen TV. My child brought to my attention that there was a large area of the remote control device that had something very disturbing dried on part of the controls. They continued to function but what had my child been getting into by touching this grossly dirty object? It was very obvious. So at this point, I called the front desk and canceled our second night reservation. If it had been earlier, I would have packed up and left due to my total disgust and repulsion at these issues. We agreed we would not be eating food prepared for the complimentary breakfast at the hotel but would leave and dine elsewhere. As I lay in bed dosing off after an interesting evening, I could hear drip...drip....drip....from the closet near the window and could only guess that the air conditioning unit was also in need of attention. The facility at this Residence Inn is still in good condition overall but with this apparent lack of attention to detail and cleanliness it will only be a matter of time. When I called the front desk to cancel, they did mention they planned to 'comp' the room for the night due to the need to transfer rooms for the a/c problem. I did not request, nor had I had considered this as a possibility since this has never happened to me before at any hotel. Go elsewhere!

1  Thank KansasMamabear

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I hosted a birthday party at this location July 14, 2012 and it was poor quality. Check in at 3PM to all of the following.
1. Carpet had trash everyone in the lobby, hallway and pool area
-Front Desk Reason: Been really busy and housekeeping short staffed
2. No clean towels in pool area. Dirty Towels everywhere
-Same reason
3. Check in Room at 4:30PM(that was an early check in). 2BD RM Ste-Hair on the bed, kitchen floor dirty and crumbs on the chairs of the table
-Call GM and he was off but John, Asst Mgr. and another person came. I allowed them to tell me what was wrong with the room. We hadn't been in room 5mins.
4. John, discounted room; gave us another room, help us move. He is NOT the problem at this location. The owner or GM needs to turn property around.
5. Room was rented for Sweet 16th Birthday party. Made the best out of it since they didn't sleep anyway.
WOULD NOT RECOMMEND UNDER NO CONDITION UNTIL PROPERTY MGMT CHANGE.

** We rented this room at 12 months before for family traveling and it was 100% top of the line-that was May 2011. ** Something has changed since them.

Thank you to Asst. Mgr and Shuttle Driver: Steven. They tried to make all the wrong...right but property is the issue.

1  Thank M M
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is probably the nicest Residence Inn I have stayed in. We needed a hotel at the last minute and some friends recommended this property. The Residence Inn is huge, has a large, well-appointed eating area, a large indoor pool, and a decent fitness room. Service at the hotel was stellar and we received top-notch customer service from the front desk staff. We had to extend our stay, but there were no more rooms left. The front desk kept us informed and worked to get us a room when one became available. Free breakfast and dinners were a bonus, although we had to battle with large crowds of families in town for baseball and softball tournaments, but the staff managed to keep food coming. Would definitely recommend this location to anyone.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

My son, his family and I stayed here, in May. I called, because we were going to be there a day earlier than our reservation. The girl at the desk was so very helpful, she got us the same rate as I reserved on-line. the price of $99 was so worth it. I usually do not pay that much for a room, but, was so, satisfied with the price and accomidations. We had a 2 queen suite. It was roomy, the kitchen was so nice. We used the pool everyday, and really enjoyed it, it was nice to have a saline pool, instead of chlorine. The hot tub, did not really get hot, :(. the breakfast was great, and you could get coffee anytime of day, and water. Our stay was Great, we would stay there again, and it encourages us to stay at Residence Inns, other places.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2012

You'd not believe you're this close to the airport. Room was silent. Housekeeping seemed up to snuff, but the room came without feather pillows and had to have them sent up. The front desk was prompt in responding to the request. Room is spacious with an extremely comfortable bed. Bathroom lacked a vent fan, so the humidity got into the room after a shower. A few minor maintenance issues such as marks on the walls and some carpet stains were not serious enough to detract from a great sleeping experience. Across the board, though, with Marriott, there seems to be a lot of "uh-huh" and "yeah" responses from hotel personnel -- not like the polished customer service skills of staffs in older days. Terrible wireless phones in the room filled with static, but the wireless internet service was quick and clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three nights recently. This hotel deserves a very high recommendation. The roomsar especially spacious with high ceilings. HDTV's in both the living room and bedroom and plenty of room for work and relaxing. I used the laundry and even the upper floor seemed to have high ceilings.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2012

This is a very large Residence Inn. The desk staff when I checked on was a little unpolished. I am a Marriott Gold Elite member. Never once did they acknowledge that or ever call me by name - just "hon". The young lady did not read my profile and put me on a ground floor, then near an elevator in a room with a noisy hvac. Third time was almost a charm. The only negative then was no mirrored closet doors due to a recall. I need that mirror to put on my makeup because on these older RIs, the sink mirror is too far away for me to see to apply makeup.

The room was quiet. Breakfast was good. Staff did not do a good job of keeping up the menus in rooms. Someone else in my party still had the March menu on the fridge in her room. One other negative is the lack of handicap parking or handicap accessible door on the hotel backside - near handicap rooms.

• Stayed: April 2012