“I arrived late at night to find that my...”

Holiday Inn Aladdin
Ranked #44 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Williamsburg
“I arrived late at night to find that my...”
Reviewed October 14, 2010

I arrived late at night to find that my hotel room was given away. When I explained that I reserved a certain room type, the manager responded this other room is all I have for you. So I look online for availability and wow, to my surprise, it was still available, so I called customer service & they confirmed it was still available and that they would call the hotel. They came back on the line & said there is an error, the room is not available but they will give you free breakfast for the mixup. It was late & I was left without a choice, so I checked in. Extremely small corner room! I saw something in the toilet but just to make sure, I asked my wife to look. The toilet had rust inside that made it look like the guest in front of us or housekeeping forgot to flush the toilet. The lady at checkout was very short with us when we asked her a simple question. If this hotel treats priority club members like this, I would've hated to stay here and experience how a non priority club member is treated.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank David S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
O'Fallon, Missouri
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Usually when I think of a Holiday Inn, boring comes to mind, but this was far from what I was expecting. Plush beds, modern decor and within walking distance to the Power and Light district... very cute, almost like Alice in Wonderland. Next time we visit for a Cards/Royals game we will stay here. Go Cards!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
jtimmons, Manager at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, October 12, 2010
Dear 2cardsfans05,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Aladdin. We value every comment we receive from our guests. Know that you are welcome back any time you are in KC!

Jim Timmons/Guest Service Manager
Aladdin Holiday Inn - Kansas City
San Diego
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Just returned from a long football weekend in KC. We choose to stay at the Alladin Holiday Inn due of the reviews on TA. We decided we wanted to be in an area where there was a lot of bars/restaurants within walking distance (Power & Light District) and were not disappointed by this. The hotel was easy to find and conveniently located just outside of the P&L District.

The hotel is an older/historic building. I like that about it. Has some "charm". The rooms are small as stated in other reviews, so wasn't surprised by that. The size was fine for 2 people. There was a small closet. The room was lite well. Though our window looked out onto a brick wall of the next door hotel (Marriott). I would recommend asking for a view.

The bathroom was nicely updated, though small. The shower (no rub) had excellent water pressure, though it was small too. The bed was probably my biggest complaint - it was a bit firm for me. There was a flat screen tv (but no HD); a comfortable chair, desk and free wifi.

The room was not greatly sound proof - so I heard people returning on our floor at 3am. Tip - as for something a bit more quiet if you are a light sleeper.

The staff was welcoming at check-in - we were offered free champange (how can you beat that?). The bellmen were nice as well.

We found free parking near the hotel without a problem.

We did have a few "bumps" - when we booked online the rate said it included breakfast. We were given the coupons when we checked in and thought it was one coupon per room per day (3 nights = 3 coupons). Well apparently the coupon is per person. So we were told it was only one free breakfast with our rate and that the other person would have to pay for the breakfast. Very odd, since we've stayed at many Holiday Inns and never had this problem. After speaking with the front desk and manager, we were given additional coupons, but it was really a hassle. They did give us 2 free dinner coupons to use as well, so they made up for the hassle.

Frankly, the food in general was mediocre. I'd recommend eating elsewhere. The dining staff at breakfast was excellent; the staff at dinner not that attentive.

There is a 2nd floor lounge/martini bar, that is nice. A business center with printer to print your boarding passes and a gym which is small but nicely appointed.

Overall, a good stay and I'd stay here again. The only thing that might deter me would be the bed. Since we had been offered the same rate to stay at the Hilton, which is about 2 blocks closer to the P&L District, I might stay there next time if I could get the same rate since the "free" breakfast wasn't really that great.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SDSpartan
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Extremely friendly, helpful, welcoming, eager to do whatever is necessary to make a guest comfortable. I would gladly visit with them again.

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Last weekend used Aladdin as home base for Yankees-Royals baseball weekend. Nice hotel, friendly staff who bend over backward to help newcomers enjoy KC (tip - doormen know much more than desk staff, ask them first), good modern rooms, small but generous mezzanine bar for "safe at home" nightcaps. Easy walk to Power & Light district & City Market (go early Sat morning, eat @ the counter @ Cascone's to avoid line & talk to the chefs), Starbucks @ next door hotel, bus stop across the street from that for easy touring w/o needing car. 28X bus takes you to ballpark for $1.50, $30 cab fare back, worth it both ways. Eat @ Jack's Stack bar. Check WX, it gets hot. Talk to other NY fans @ ballpark who come from all over the Midwest - for many KC is the closest MLB & they watch Yanks @ home on Direct TV, best Yankee fans out there. Short flight from east coast, worth it to see a town you may not go to otherwise. KC residents are very nice people and KC has tweaked its older buildings with modern architectural touches which are fun to observe while walking & busing around. Not a multiple visit place but definitely worth a weekend - last year we hit Cleveland for Yanks-Tribe and in spite of the heat KC has more to offer, Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame not withstanding.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Omaha
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We arrived on a Friday evening and were greeting by the manager Amy....she was super nice and gave us each a complimentary glass of champagne. We told her we had reservations to Bristols seafood a block away and she gave us a coupon for a free appetizer. Rainy night...so we decided to head back to the hotel....apparently if you are VIP guest you receive free dessert delivered ...We came back to pinnapple upside-down cake :-) After Wolfgang puck Coffee and dessert we stopped by the Martini bar- Barney the Bartendar was awesome!!! He made great drinks! Decor at the hotel was contemporary while keeping some of the historic aspects....Rooms are smaller than normal but they use the space so well you hardly notice. Beds/pillow were comfortable. Checkout 11am was a little early if you've been out all night.
Overall we would def go back to this fun hotel. We loved it!
***Side note if your in Kansas City The Boulevard Brewery gives free tours that includes free samples of their beers....a must if your love craft beer....and who doesn't love free :-)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jen916
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 29, 2010

The Aladdin is certainly aesthetically pleasing. It looks expensive and modern not only in the lobby but also the rooms. The employees upstairs were very nice - housekeeping and such. However, the front desk staff was a bit shrill and not very helpful.

The room was small but comfortable and the bedding was excellent - a great night's sleep (they even offer a pillow service). The hotel advertised 24hr. room service but when we tried to call at 11pm there was no answer (?). Three large windows in the room. Great view of the city! Excellent Location!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple