“Just okay”

Holiday Inn Aladdin
Ranked #44 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I liked:
-trendy remodeling, including bright colors and bowl style bathroom sinks
-convenient parking right across the street ($12-$15 per night)
-walking distance to Power and Light district
-front door staff was very helpful and friendly
I did not like:
-even with the remodeling, it is very evident that it is a very old building - low ceilings, narrow hallways, small windows, small rooms, etc. The elevators were slow and small.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Aladdin

Reviewed October 12, 2009

They overbooked their hotel and didnt seem to care they did. The staff was courteous but didnt seem to care about where we had to stay. They gave us a room 15 miles away . We had planned on going to the power and light district but did not want to have to drive the 15 miles back to downtown KC . I thought their comp was unacceptable they gave us a room a Crown Plaza in Overland Park (which was a nice hotel) , which is the 15 miles away, but did not offer breakfast or a discount on their hotel for us to come back. The staff seemed to be use to doing this because my wife saw about 10 other envelopes for other people who didnt get a room also. She also in the 15-20 minutes waiting for our reservation saw 3 people already checked in complaining to the manager about different things. NEVER STAY AT THE ALADDIN WE WONT TRY AGAIN!!!!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank salinafred
tnitsche, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2009

Please accept my apologies for your disappointing experience upon arrival at the Aladdin. We try not to make a habit of overbooking the property, but this particular night was filled with extraordinary circumstances. Please know that the concerns you raised have been addressed and we are taking the necessary steps to ensure that they do not reoccur in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly, as I would like to discuss further the specifics regarding your experience. Along with my team, I hope we are able to welcome you back to the Aladdin with the true hospitality we strive for.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review with valuable feedback. I truly enjoy hearing from our guests regarding their individual experience while staying at the Aladdin. It allows us the opportunity to celebrate our successes and address any challenges we may have to better serve you in the future.

Yours in Hospitality,

Tiffany Nitsche
Guest Service Manager

Reviewed October 1, 2009

There's no doubt this is a unique hotel, especially for a Holiday Inn. The room we had was as pictured, and we appreciated the flat-panel TV, the shower with dual heads (each with 3 settings), and the free wi-fi (although the wireless was really slow, we used the hard-wired option). The biggest complaint I had was the bed; it was cheap and hard, much less comfortable than the last two Holiday Inn Express hotels I've stayed in. The other complaints are minor, but they could be fixed easily and make a big difference. The bathroom has one of the new "bowl" sinks, very stylish but NO counter space at all. The little shelves on the wall are inadequate to put your personal items. It would also really help if they would install a vanity/magnifying mirror on the wall. There's not even a place to hang a hand towel next to the sink! There's also only one wastebasket in the entire room, which fills up quickly. Finally, housekeeping needs to focus on the details. Our room had no bath mat, no Kansas City magazine, and the TV listing was from July/August (we were there the last week in September). We got a late start on Saturday, but our room had still not been made up at 5:00 p.m. Overall, it wasn't a bad experience, but it could have been a great one -- too bad.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie P
Reviewed August 29, 2009

NOPE, they will never get our business again. My husband and I were in KC MO for a conference that we attend every year. Each year we try a different hotel and we can honestly we will NEVER go back to the Aladdin. We got checked in to our room and I immediately headed for a spa appt at Citiscapes (WAY overpriced but the facial was nice), then we went to our room while I eagerly awaited the wine and cheese tray that I had ordered special for our anniversary ....it NEVER arrived. I went down to the front desk and told them to cancel it since it was 2 hours late! They had no idea of what I was talking about. I had called 3 days prior and specifically ordered it to be brought to our room. Anyway, the room (309) was another disaster. the decor was great, retro and fun, but when we finally settled down in to the evening, there was a LOUD rumbling noise that didn't stop. (come to find out, it was the air unit outside, RIGHT out side the window which also exhibited a view of nothing but a brick wall.) They moved us to another room...so okay, it was nice, clean and also retro, but at 130 a.m., a lady outside our door sstarted screaming and crying, and someone down the hall was having a domestic dispute so we all could hear. Zebra restaurant not worth the money, you're better off walking 3 blocks to Power and Light District and finding a nice restaurant, all of them are good. We luv KC, but NOT this hotel! Holiday Inn, tear this place down and make a nice parking lot out of it...at least until you can run a decent establishment.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank IrelandFrequentor
Reviewed August 28, 2009

We stayed at the Aladdin on 8/21/2009. We were greeted with champagne during check in.
The hotel decor is awesome. The staff are all second to none, and were very helpful and informative. It is located near a great downtown market and is in walking distance to the power and light district. Our room was very clean, (chocolates were also waiting for us there) and the room decor was great. The beds are very comfortable. The saddest part of this hotel was leaving! You do have to park across the street. We paid $12.00 for 24 hours. TRUST me This hotel is well worth it!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank yousguys
Reviewed August 26, 2009

The old style of the hotel is still very present. They've kept many architectural details.
> Location is great if you need to be downtown. We walked around at night with no concern.

We got a great deal on hot.wire. Don't know if I'd have thought the hotel was so great if I'd paid full price. Probably you'll feel like you're getting your money's worth if you can get the price down to under 100. We made our reservation late in the day so I think by the time we checked in all the regular rooms were taken and they had to give us a more premium room than they would have normally. It was #801 - corner room with three windows and a nice sunset view.

We planned to go out on the town so we didn't need the hotel for much besides a bed and shower. Bed was great and the room was nicely laid out for such an old hotel. Shower had a ridiculous second shower head that didn't add anything to the shower experience or allow for a second shower-er. Silly detail.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank lindymae
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We attended a concert at the Sprint Center in Kansas City this past weekend, and decided to stay within walking distance of the arena. We were very impressed with the Aladdin. When we checked in, they had just run out of the champagne they normally offer, and they were very apologetic about it and offered it anytime we came back down, but no worries. The parking/valet was a little crazy, but it was right around 4 pm and obviously a lot of people checking in at that time. Would rather have free parking, but $15 is not bad for valet to just leave the car and not worry about it until the next morning.

The room was pleasantly large for an older hotel (I do think we got one of the larger rooms). When I tried to turn on the TV, it would not work, but I called downstairs and they had someone up within 5 minutes to take care of it (just had to replace the remote--he said the buttons on the TV didn't work, everything had to be done by remote).

Room was set up nice, bathroom a little on the small side , but again expected that going in with an older property. Great shower!--which is important to me.

Air conditioning worked great (and it was very hot!!), bed was okay. We could have used a few more pillows (they were very small), but I did not ask for anymore as it was late when we got back in.

Check out was smooth, and since I had called down from the room the car was waiting.
Overall I was very impressed with the level of service they were trying to maintain.

Next time we are looking to stay downtown we will give the Aladdin another shot!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ageict

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful, in-depth review of your stay at the Aladdin. We strive to exceed each guest's expectations and I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality and service you received while staying with us. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our staff.

I am so sorry to hear that you missed out on the champagne at check-in. Along with my team, I hope we are able to serve you a glass while welcoming you back to the Aladdin in the near future!

Yours in Hospitality,