“Comfortable Sleep, Not Much More” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Aladdin

Holiday Inn Aladdin
Ranked #44 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Northern NJ
“Comfortable Sleep, Not Much More”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Traveled with a group for three night weekend, and shared a room with a friend. This is more of a boutique girls weekend spa type of hotel. It tries to turn an old building into a modern trendy hotel, but does not quite get there. At same time, I've read quite a number of poor reviews and complaints about this hotel, and some very strong statements. Frankly, we did not experience anything that bad or terrible.

Check in and out was fast, and people at the desk and front doors were always helpful and friendly. The elevators are very small, and at times, we had to wait because elevators were full. The rooms are small. We had a room with central HVAC, which worked well despite a very hot weekend, although a bit loud. Some people in our party had rooms with window air conditioning units - - I would not like that. The beds were firm and comfortable for me. The desk is small, and so is the bathroom. They tried to turn an old tub and shower into something trendy by putting in two shower heads, but it was not any better than one good shower head, and nothing fancy.

We got a reasonably good group rate, since we booked 13 rooms, so no complaint there. Taxis were generally available when needed. We used them to visit locations such as Boulevard Brewing and World War I Museum, Gates (BBQ), and Kaufman Stadium for a Royals game.

I did not eat at the restaurant in the hotel. We did visit the bar on the 2nd floor. The bar is very small, but the bartender was great. I used the fitness center, which is not much bigger than my home gym in a spare bedroom - - way too small for a hotel with 11 floors.

All in all, it was OK. I did not pick the hotel, and probably would have preferred the modern Marriott just next door, but that's just my taste. I am not into old buildings or trendy hotels.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your review! I am sorry that the hotel was not the experience you had envisioned for your trip to Kansas City. Our hotel was originally opened in 1926, and was 309 guest rooms - can you believe that! We are down to 193 total guest rooms, and each guest room on each floor is laid out differently and offers a very unique experience for each guest.

Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Sheldon, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at this Holiday Inn in July of 2013. The staff was very friendly and we were pleasantly surprised by the tasty glass of champagne we were given when we checked in. We enjoy staying in vintage hotels and were pleased the decor and our room. The only negative note was the hotel restaurant. We decided we would just eat breakfast at hotel as it was right there and they offered a Breakfat Buffet. However, the buffet was over priced, the food was cold and most of the containers were empty. I chose to order off the menu and got the stuffed French toast. It was a poor choice and we wished we had just passed on
eating there. Thumbs up on the hotel but a very big thumbs down on the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Toothy43
Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that you liked the hotel as much as we do! I apologize you did not receive the product you were expecting for breakfast. I hope you will give us another try!

Fond du Lac, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Neat building and history but the essentials of the stay was only OK. Friendly, helpful staff. We had a king room on a corner of the hotel. The room was very small as was the bathroom - two people couldn't be in the bathroom at the same time. Nicely updated décor, but we had a huge vent running through the corner of the celling, and when the fan came on for the air conditioning it was deafening! Had to turn the TV almost to the max just to hear it. Maybe more typical of an older building like that, but I tend to like the creature comforts more than the history. It was clean, and the dual-head shower had good pressure. I hate wimpy showers, so that was a plus. Be careful of the bathroom sink though - it has the same pressure and can surprise you and get water all over.

Room Tip: The higher the better for better view of the city. Avoid corner rooms because of the loud vents, an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank frances564
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! Our hotel is on the National Register of Historic Places, so yes, it is an historic landmark! I am so glad you liked the dual-shower-head; we do get a lot of compliments on that feature! I apologize the room was not what you were expecting as far as the temperature. We hope that you will give us another try!

kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Checked in on a busy Friday night. Service was ok , they were working to get everyone checked in. Went up to our rooms.. Dirty hallways lit by florescent bulbs showcasing the popcorn ceilings. The room.. Ugh! Decided to tough it out as we knew we couldn't get anything else. The last straw was the fabric headboard w stains.. Gross .

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank sunflowergal62
Thank you so much for your review! I apologize the hotel was not what you had in mind. We work to provide an exceptional experience for all of our guests. I you would like to give me any more information, please contact me directly.

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

The complimentary champagne was great, as well as the unique décor. However...the Incidental Policy could have landed us in jail! I paid for the room in advance for a lower rate...so I was surprised when they required a credit card with a balance of $100 (for "incidentals"). I offered a $100 bill, but was told it must be a card. We said we didn't have that. The woman promptly told us there was a pharmacy four blocks away, that sells prepaid credit cards. The room was paid for, and nonrefundable...so we had no choice. After going and getting the prepaid card, it was declined. I called the number on the back of the card, and learned that when $100 is charged, $120 is the amount held. I'm still confused about this...but the front desk person should have known and told us to put $120 on the card. Thankfully, she accepted the lower amount. The room was dusty, with a dirty champagne glass on the window sill (there was also a strange bug in the bathroom). In the morning, when we called the front desk to get more creamer for our coffee...we were told no. We checked out, and decided not to complain...we just wanted to leave. The biggest issue came when we tried to pay for breakfast (after we had eaten it), using the same prepaid credit card. The cc company told us that when a hotel puts a "hold" on an amount, the funds aren't available for seven business days (even though the hotel had "released" the money). We didn't know what to do. After some tears...my friend found a forgotten credit card in her wallet, with enough money to pay for the meal. If not, would they have called the police? Of course, if the hotel staff had told us this, we couldn't have gotten the card...but then we would have lost the same amount of money (having paid for a room we couldn't use). I have never heard of such a policy (and I used to work in the hotel industry)!! I will never stay at a Holiday Inn again!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank IndependenceDayGirl
Thank you so much for your review! Most all hotels have the same policy that we operate under when regarding incidentals. I apologize that this may not have been explained to you very well at check in. Our policy is to have a credit card to place a hold on for any incidentals such as food and beverage, but it is also our insurance policy on damage done to the rooms. Please let me know if you have any further questions, or need more clarification.

Grove City, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

A great old hotel that is architecturally interesting and in a very good location near the power and light district. With a special rate I was able to get a hotel room for roughly half the cost of nearby hotels which was a big bonus. The hotel rooms are quite small - it is a "boutique" hotel which roughly translates to "this is an old building so what can we do?" - but still comfortable and functional. The lobby is quite interesting as is the outside of the building.

The biggest positive is the location as you are within two blocks - if that - of the very nice power and light district which has a number of nice restaurants and activities to enjoy. We were even able to walk down to the National WWI memorial and Union Station from our location which was another positive.

The only thing that prevents me from listing this as excellence was two things. First, while the bed and linens were clean the bed itself was quite uncomfortable and neither my wife or I had a great night's sleep. Second, the other glaring issue was customer service. In general, I did not feel as though the hotel was that attentive to its guests concerns. Normally I would just pass this off as a perception except I did have a situation which underscored to me the lack of service. They do have a nice valet service which gives you unlimited in/out privileges which is a benefit. However, after a night of exploring Kansas City we drove up to use the valet and after coming in the man behind the desk explained the valet was busy but he'd "get to it." This meant my car was going to be left out on the street until the valet could be summoned. I was worried about this response so after we went up to the room I went back to the lobby to watch over my car and see what happened. 45 minutes later (!) the person manning the desk finally went to park my car with the valet still no where to be seen. While I am gratified he actually did it I doubt it might have even happened within 45 minutes had I not been "lingering" to see what they did. I'm not sure how long they would have let my car sit out in the street readily able to be ticketed or broken into, but I was VERY disappointed by that.

It's a great location and so if you can work your way around the service issues it is a nice place to stay, just be aware.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RobC614
Thank you so much for your review! I sincerely apologize that the valet service was not what you expected. I appreciate your feedback and will be able to address it with our motivated staff. We want all of our guests to have a magical experience, and with great feedback like yours we are able to become a better hotel.

Omaha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from K.C and loved the Aladdin. Started off with valet parking and free champagne for my wife and I, bingo, I am happy. Room updated and very clean. Service was outstanding and valet very reasonable for being downtown. The location is awesome, near all the restaurants in Power and Light District. Would stay again for sure.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your experience at our beautiful hotel! The free champagne is one of my favorite little "extras" too! We hope you will be back very soon!