“Location and value, though lack of service”

Holiday Inn Aladdin
Ranked #44 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed June 17, 2013

A great old hotel that is architecturally interesting and in a very good location near the power and light district. With a special rate I was able to get a hotel room for roughly half the cost of nearby hotels which was a big bonus. The hotel rooms are quite small - it is a "boutique" hotel which roughly translates to "this is an old building so what can we do?" - but still comfortable and functional. The lobby is quite interesting as is the outside of the building.

The biggest positive is the location as you are within two blocks - if that - of the very nice power and light district which has a number of nice restaurants and activities to enjoy. We were even able to walk down to the National WWI memorial and Union Station from our location which was another positive.

The only thing that prevents me from listing this as excellence was two things. First, while the bed and linens were clean the bed itself was quite uncomfortable and neither my wife or I had a great night's sleep. Second, the other glaring issue was customer service. In general, I did not feel as though the hotel was that attentive to its guests concerns. Normally I would just pass this off as a perception except I did have a situation which underscored to me the lack of service. They do have a nice valet service which gives you unlimited in/out privileges which is a benefit. However, after a night of exploring Kansas City we drove up to use the valet and after coming in the man behind the desk explained the valet was busy but he'd "get to it." This meant my car was going to be left out on the street until the valet could be summoned. I was worried about this response so after we went up to the room I went back to the lobby to watch over my car and see what happened. 45 minutes later (!) the person manning the desk finally went to park my car with the valet still no where to be seen. While I am gratified he actually did it I doubt it might have even happened within 45 minutes had I not been "lingering" to see what they did. I'm not sure how long they would have let my car sit out in the street readily able to be ticketed or broken into, but I was VERY disappointed by that.

It's a great location and so if you can work your way around the service issues it is a nice place to stay, just be aware.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobC614
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you so much for your review! I sincerely apologize that the valet service was not what you expected. I appreciate your feedback and will be able to address it with our motivated staff. We want all of our guests to have a magical experience, and with great feedback like yours we are able to become a better hotel.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Aladdin

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just got back from K.C and loved the Aladdin. Started off with valet parking and free champagne for my wife and I, bingo, I am happy. Room updated and very clean. Service was outstanding and valet very reasonable for being downtown. The location is awesome, near all the restaurants in Power and Light District. Would stay again for sure.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your experience at our beautiful hotel! The free champagne is one of my favorite little "extras" too! We hope you will be back very soon!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I wanted a quick getaway for the night. We had no reservations and walked in not knowing what to expect. The gentleman at the front desk, Jai, was sooo welcoming. He helped us out a ton and made us feel so welcome. We were also given champagne upon check-in, which was a nice treat! We were given a great, comfortable room with a great view. He was professional and extremely kind. He made many suggestions on things to do in the area. It was a perfect, much needed, night out and we really appreciate everything Jai did for us during our stay. Will definitely come back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review! We sincerely appreciate all of the wonderful compliments about our Assistant Front Desk Manager Jai! We all work very hard to provide a magical experience for all of our guests. We hope that you come back very soon!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is very conveniently located a few blocks from Power & Light and the Sprint Center, definitely within walking distance.

Valet parking is available. It cost me $16. The parking garage across the street charges $12 (and from what the front desk told me, they will charge you that every time you remove your car). You can get your car as many times as you need from the valet for the flat rate. Definitely pick the best option for you.

My room was a bit on the small side, but very well-furnished with coffee-maker, hair dryer, chair & ottoman, individual thermostat, desk, and flat-screen TV with cable. Wi-fi is free for 7 days, and is fast. Bed was comfortable. Staff was friendly. Sundries available in the lobby. Room service available. USA Today complimentary and delivered to your door.

I am usually a budget-lodgings sort of person, but this hotel was paid for by a conference I attended. I consider it to be a very nice experience and probably worth the money.

Room Tip: There were a few rooms in the same little opening as the elevators. I can't imagine how noisy th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate all of your helpful feedback for other travelers coming into the KC area. We strive to provide not only a great product, but a great experience! We hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

The Aladdin is a very cute, 1920's era hotel located just a few blocks from the convention center and the Power & Light entertainment district. All of the staff were super friendly and helpful. Rooms are small, but that is to be expected from a boutique hotel. Walls are a bit thin, so it can be noisy if you're a light sleeper. Bring your ear plugs! : )

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the end of the hallway, away from the elevators to mitigate noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at our beautiful hotel, and we hope to have you back again very soon!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed here for an out of town wedding. It was clean, quaint, and convienent. The staff were friendly, and helpful. I'd recommend it, and I'd stay here again! It's within walking distance to Power & Light, and we felt safe walking in the area!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay here. I will pass along your great comments to our staff, as we strive to offer the best experience possible for our guests. We hope to have you back again, and soon!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

First time in downtown KC so didn't know area at all. Found the parking garage and walked across the street in the rain to the lobby. Front desk staff person (didn't catch her name) was very nice and our two rooms on the 15th floor were small but clean and the beds were very comfortable. Left the hotel next morning in the pouring rain and walked across to the parking garage again. Forgot something and had to go back, and in the elevator someone told me you can get to the garage from the basement without walking outside. Would have been nice if hotel had told me that or had better signs. At 8:00 on a Sunday evening, it's a rather long walk on broken sidewalks to find something to eat. Immediate area around the hotel is not attractive. Oh, and the DVD players in the rooms were a nice touch, but vending on every floor would be good too. There are laundry facilities in the basement.

All in all, it's a more than adequate reasonably priced hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms 1508 and 1516 face a brick wall.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here. I appreciate your feedback on the signage for the connection to the Barney Allis Garage that also connects guests to the Convention Center. We hope to have you back again on your next trip to Kansas City!