“charming, with a few glitches”

Holiday Inn Aladdin
Ranked #46 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Omaha, Nebraska
“charming, with a few glitches”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Aladdin is a cozy and historic boutique hotel, but it is also very charming and welcoming. The room was exceptionally clean, the lobby and bar area were beautiful and the staff was great. However, we did have a couple of issues. Our bathroom door decided to lock us out, which we discovered in the middle of the night. It was a long night. However, the next morning the staff immediately fixed the issue and were extremely apologetic. There was also a very rude and drunken group of wedding partiers, which caused lots of noise and mess. Again, the staff handled things appropriately and well. The location of the hotel was really convenient to the Sprint Center and great restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We love hearing about how our guests like the hotel charm and ambiance! I sincerely apologize about the door and noise issues - I hope our staff was able to get those items under control quickly for you. We hope to have you back again, and soon!!

Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Very nice hotel. My wife and I got a great deal on this hotel and we were treated very very nice. The service was fantastic and the rooms were very cool. The hotel itself has some wicked awesome decor and the lobby is out of sight. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that you liked our hotel, especially our cool decor! We strive to offer each guest an amazingly unique experience. We look forward to welcoming you again, and hopefully soon!

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed April 15, 2013

On the evening of Saturday April 13, 2013, I ordered the trout almandine from room service; they delivered salmon instead. Not a huge deal and frankly, I would have just eaten it, but it came with a soy glaze (gluten intolerance) and since I had tickets to a show for that evening and did not have time to wait for a replacement, I called the front desk to request that they drop the charge. I was connected with Jai, and after explaining, I was asked, "Well, are you going to give us the chance to fix it?", which rather surprised me. I explained that I had a show to go to and I didn't have time to wait for a replacement meal. To this he replied, "Well, can we come up and get it then?" So NO APOLOGY and he NEEDED ME TO PROVE TO HIM THAT I ACTUALLY RECEIVED THE WRONG ORDER AND DID NOT EAT IT! Kind of a rude way to treat a person who is already paying you for a crummy room.... But I just said, "Yes, you may."
In the meantime, we discovered the disgusting bathroom (wish I had photographed!) with moldy exposed drains, faucet that blasts water everywhere, TP off the roll, and USED BATHROBE AND TOWEL STILL HANGING ON THE BACK OF THE DOOR....
When we got back from our show 3 hours later, EVERY LOBBY EMPLOYEE WAS CROWDED OUTSIDE THE DOOR SMOKING! Seriously, at least 5 of them and no greeting from any of them as we entered. Of course the lobby was empty of employees! Upstairs, the tray of salmon was sitting untouched in the hallway outside our room. I took the tray back to the front desk myself, managed to find somebody who was finished smoking, explained my situation and found out that NO REFUND HAD BEEN ISSUED. The smell of three hour old fish and the look in my eye must have convinced "Magic Maker" (no real name tag... professional!) that I meant business, because I managed to get the charge dropped without another reprimand from service. I asked to speak to Jai, but he was no longer there, and I was assured that his customer service is usually top notch. Fine, but not tonight! INSULTED AND GROSSED OUT! Yucked up our weekend over and over. Poorly managed and unmotivated personnel. I recommend you do yourself a favor and spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologize that our hotel did not meet your expectations. I have been researching your issue with the room service order that was delivered incorrectly, and know that you have already been in touch with our management, and IHG. I know that we have removed your entire bill, please let me know if this is not satisfactory to you. In regards to the employee issues, the people you saw were guests of the hotel, and not employees of our hotel. I again apologize that you did not have a good experience at our hotel.

Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Our family and volleyball club stayed here last year. I now wish I would have read my own first review and then asked the other families about their stay prior to making arrangements again for this season. My review last time was okay (not a FABULOUS) stay for the price we paid ($146 per night, plus parking).

I coordinate hotels for over 200 families during club season and so I always try to get rooms with the biggest bang for their buck (I.e., closest to venue, breakfast included, no parking fees, etc.) but I have to admit, I royaly screwed this one up. Outrageous prices for a Holiday Inn, beds were hard, covers had major stains, floors were filthy, staff was rude and cussing at check-in, bell hops were still out smoking in front of hotel, walls were so paper thin you could hear tv's blaring, kids yelling and, literally -- an orgy going on next door! Needless to say, my 200 families will no longer be staying here, ever. From now on, we will stick with our Marriott points! Dirty, dirty, dirty!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Okzrus
Thank you for your review. We take great pride in our service, and award-winning product. What you experienced is not typical for our hotel, and I apologize that it did not meet your expectations. We have addressed the items in your review with our staff.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

On Friday April 12, 2013 we arrived at the Holiday Inn
Aladdin in downtown Kansas City, Mo. We checked into the rather small lobby, got our room keys and we offered a complimentary glass of champagne which was most welcome after our long drive. We went up to our room to find a tiny,tiny room with a closet that had no door but rather a sliding curtain. The bathroom had a moldy shower curtain and was very tiny. However the double shower head was working well and was a nice addition to what the hotel billed as a "boutique style" meaning they put some granite on the old vanity and a raised sink bowl. There was a regular bathtub shower combination

We took a walk after we got settled to get familiar with the area then decided to return to the hotel for dinner. What a surprise. We started with a spinach artichoke appetizer which was average but not terrible. We ordered wine. Big mistake and there was no beer except for bottled. Not a big problem BUT when our food arrived, my French Onion Soup and husband's touted chicken pot pie, things went bad quickly. My husband had to send his pot pie back for reheating. Lukewarm at best. I noticed he wasn't eating much and I asked for a taste. It had a really terrible, off taste to it and was inedible. He just kept eating the chips and spinach dip. I was trying to enjoy my soup when I pulled what I thought to be a long piece of onion wrapped in cheese but it turned out to be a circle of twine, similar to what you would find tying up a chicken or a ham. Needless to say I didn't eat the soup. Some people at a table next to us had also ordered the pot pie and couldn't eat theirs as well. Something was definitely off about it.

On the plus side, the hotel is very convenient to the convention center, music auditorium and little theater. There is sparking garage across the street from the hotel and is not too expensive per day. Valet parking is $16.00 per day or you can self park.
The staff was pleasant. The hotel is quiet. Our room seemed clean enough although when we returned to our room the second day it was obvious the maid gave the bathroom little attention other than giving new towels. Counters were not wiped down nor bathtub cleaned. Mirror had the same haze of dust on it that was there the day before. Very subpar cleaning standard.

On the minus side was the terrible food but the hotel did remove the entire meal from our bill. We paid $132 per day which was a reduced rate because of a special event we were attending. This is reasonable only because the Marriott, the Crowne Plaza and the Westin were nearly twice as much per night cashing in on the convenient location. This reduced rate was still too high for a Holiday Inn. The room we had was old and only had cosmetic changes but there was free wi-if which is handy

Overall I would say if you don't need to be downtown, look more toward the Country Club Plaza area for lodging great shopping and atmosphere.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 22traveler07
Thank you for your review. I apologize that you had a bad experience in our hotel and restaurant. I have been following up with our different departments and know that you have been in touch with our management team and IHG. We did remove the entire meal from your bill, and hope that this was satisfactory to you, but if you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact me directly at 816-421-8887.

Dalla
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We requested early check in when we made our reservation three weeks in advance, were told they couldn't guarantee a 1pm (requested because we had a 4pm wedding) check in but that we could get in by 2pm for sure. We got to the hotel at 12:45pm and we told they were cleaning the room and it would be 15 - 45 minutes. At 1:30 pm we were told it would be 15 - 20 minutes - they were cleaning the room. At 2:00pm we were told it would be 15 minutes (meanwhile they are checking other guests in). They kept saying to each other at the front desk - these people are not with the Cerner group. We did no get into our room until almost 3pm. The rooms were very old and the ceiling was peeling. The bed was sunken in the middle and was a terrible nights sleep. I would never stay at the Aladdin Holiday Inn again and I am a Holiday Inn fan. This place was a really bad experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I apologize that our staff did not communicate to you correctly regarding your early check in request. We do not guarantee anything until 4pm, and you should have been told that from the very beginning. We do try very hard to assist our guests with early check in requests; however it is something that we never guarantee. I know that you also had another room you wanted to be next to, which can also add to the time of preparation for your room to ready earlier than 4pm.

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Scooped up the hotel at a discount and thought what a steal from the pictures. it does look great but that’s wher it ends. saw a review about hard beds and thought it wasa joke.

very disappointed by the noise level. I could hear the guy sleeping in the next room clear his throat and in the morning his alarm clock was so clear it could have been in my room.

the beds are very hard. worse than a sofa. i had to put towels under my side of the bed. They should have spent more money on mattresses and not the decor. the pictures are real but the beds are so bad. we get hotels to sleep in to look at. never again

Room Tip: if you must stay here dont pay until you get a room with a good bed